Shooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen 'em for years, decades even. My Mother even had one on her little '92 Win Carbine in .44-40. I've always wondered ... HOW were they used?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Carbines and revolvers used by cavalry, dragoons or cowboys usually had a tether attached to the weapon so if they lost their grip on the weapon while mounted, it could be recovered without stopping and dismounting.

Kudu40

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses, guys, I KNEW someone would know. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Saddle ring

Cavalry of the mid 19th century and later commonly used single point slings that attach to a rail or ring on the side of a carbine.This sling allowed the carbine to hang at hand while the Trooper switched to his revolvers or saber ,as conditions warranted in battle. The carbine could also ride in the saddle scabbard or not . While on foot the carbine just hung by the sling close at hand .This ,I think, is similar to the modern single -point systems the Army uses to-day. In fact ,I use a modern single-point sling on my 1894 Winchester carbine.It works great!

·
Registered
788 Posts
As I understand it from the pictures that I have seen, the single point sling actually ended in a hook, or a snap hook, which would be hooked onto the saddle ring on the rifle or carbine.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Saddle Ring

Exactly! A snap hook similar to that on a dog or bridle lead, only much larger.
The Dixie Gun Works cataloque has a authenic reproduction leather Cavalry sling.
I just used a modern web single-point sling from Voodoo on my '94 carbine .

·
Registered
167 Posts
And I thought it was so you could put a sling on it and hang it from the saddle horn making it much faster to get to then having it in a scabbard, hence the name saddle ring.
Terry

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
As you can see here, it's undoubtably had many uses, but was most useful to keep the gun secured to the saddle while galloping. Didn't make much sense to get to the fight faster if you had no gun when you got there.:D:eek:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Saddle Ring is no friend of the lefthanded rifle shooter tho....gets in the way when shooting/working the lever.....

·
Registered
80 Posts
:confused: How so ? It's mounted high up on the receiver, out of the way and on the off side of your face.
Sorry, guess I need to specify the gun....For me on my 1866 the saddle ring which is far back and low on the receiver so it gets in by the web of my trigger/left hand when I grasp the stock wrist. Now on my Rossi 92 .357 Mag Puma (from Brazil 15 yrs ago or so came with saddle ring & a Puma medallion) the saddle ring clears as you noted and the ring bar on my trapdoor also is forward 'nuff to not interfer with my LH shooting.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Yep, its a Marbles semi-buckhorn with a long shank, #67. HERE'S the Brownell's listing for it.

BTW, if you're interested in a saddle ring, I found mine at Numrich's for $3.25 HERE. You'll need This Drill Bit and This Tap to D&T the hole for it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yep, its a Marbles semi-buckhorn with a long shank, #67. HERE'S the Brownell's listing for it.

BTW, if you're interested in a saddle ring, I found mine at Numrich's for $3.25 HERE. You'll need This Drill Bit and This Tap to D&T the hole for it.
I have a saddle ring on mine from the factory.....thanks for the link to the rear sight. Mine is an older Rossi (circa early 1990's) and the dovetail is metric.........how did the dovetail & new rear sight mate up on yours??? Is yours a newer gun???

thanks!

IBD

·
Registered
584 Posts
Yes, an early 2009. I still had to take a cold chisel and knock a few groves in the bottom of the sight's dovetail so it would fit tight. Put some tape on the sight before you do it and you'll avoid scratching the top.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes, an early 2009. I still had to take a cold chisel and knock a few groves in the bottom of the sight's dovetail so it would fit tight. Put some tape on the sight before you do it and you'll avoid scratching the top.
thanks for the info.....
IBD

1 - 19 of 19 Posts