Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years our family has gathered up at our small farm to take in Thanksgiving and do some hunting. Over the years at least someone has usually gotten a decent buck.

This past week was no different. The daughter jumped on the bandwagon first dropping this nice 8 point from about 250yds, using the 25-06 I passed on to her a few years back. The same rifle she took her first buck with during a Thanksgiving week when she was nine.

Now her son who has hunted with me since he was three, and taken several hogs, yotes, and his first doe last season, was up. His birthday was Saturday and he turned nine. As luck would have it, he was sitting behind the same rifle Sunday morning, and took this nice 7 point at 115yds.

From my perspective I am really proud of the both of them. While they might not be massive, they are still great deer. The neat part is, that they both used the same rifle, at the same age, to take their first bucks, during the same time of the year.

The best part was hearing the grandson, who used his mom's 6.5x55 last year to take his doe, tell his mom, you can have your 6.5 back now, I think I will just hang on to this one from now on.:eek: I looked at her, and busted out laughing, and said wow, don't that sound familiar. :D

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
That's about the best story of deer hunting I've heard all year...3 generations of family, hunting their own land and harvesting nice bucks with the same gun. History, tradition, and a heritage of hunting...you have every right to be proud as can be! Great job taking tasteful and well-framed pictures before tending to the necessary field dressing duties. Even down in Texas, where it can get pretty warm, there is time to get some great pics while the deer is still whole. :)

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Great family! Great story! Great shots! And, Great deer! All in all, a heck of a holiday weekend for your family.:D

Congrats!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts