Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While sorting through a small collection of odds's and end cartridges I looked up information on one of them and found an Author's opinion of said cartridge and the title is his exact words for the Number one candidate of......
I do understand that this is extremely subjective so i am not going to enter anything about this cartridge until I get feedback from some here just to see if this cartridge gets listed and any other "most Useless" opinions.
Just for Fun
Gregor
CGVS

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
10,203 Posts
Personally,

The word "useless", should be considered in the same context as it's sister word; "Best".
It's a personal terminology, not an all encompassing standard.

Cheers

Reactions: jimboro

·
Premium Member
17,256 Posts
Whatever whoever believes is the right answer, the better answer is:
It's the best reason to handload, so you aren't dependent on the opinions of others.

·
Premium Member
17,256 Posts
On that basis, I'd say it was the one they've been trying to dump since 1968, .30 Carbine.
That's why I have a progressive loader in that caliber and ammo cans full of components.

I started work at a gunshop in March '69. In the first few days I met the salesman for Florida Hardware in Jacksonville that was the biggest ammo jobber in the state. He showed a letter saying all .30 Carbine ammo would be discontinued June 1, 1969. It didn't happen, but prices sure went up for military ball! The shop had several dozen cases of that.

Reactions: jimboro

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Don't take this personally....of course everyone will anyway!
I'm going to make a statement and attempt to make my case, if you have one one of these cartridges in a favorite rifle by all means enjoy the gun but realize on the current trajectory new ammunition and guns will cease to exist in 10 years.
Here I go "whistling bomb sound effects"
Every 25 caliber cartridge ever invented!
The why.
1. 25 caliber bullets are .257 in diameter,6.5 bullets are .264, that's .007 difference in diameter, a standard sheet of office paper is .004, two sheets are thicker than the difference between the two bullets.
2. The real difference is bullet manufacturers and gun makers have ignored that bore diameter for decades, when was the last time a new 25 caliber cartridge was introduced? 25 wssm? That worked out well. When was the last time a successful 25 caliber was introduced 25-06? That was 1969, over 40yrs ago and it's single handedly kept the 25 caliber out of the dust bin of history (sorry 257 Roberts guys).
3. Enter the 6.5 cm and 6.5 prc,both do everything that any of the 25's do only better except the 257 Weatherby which is likely to hang in there,Weatherby does a good job of supporting their cartridges.
Apologies to my friends with 25-06's and 257R, I call them how I see them

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
10,203 Posts
As I already stated, Just for fun,
However is was the opinion of a very prominent Firearm Ammunition authority

Just for fun...

If I told you about a 16 year old who enrolled to harvard at 16. After graduating, he got his PhD in mathematics from U Michigan; and was a professor at UC Berkley immediately afterwards.
He would definitely be considered an authority to listen to!

...When I tell you his name is Ted Kaczynski, would you still hold his opinion in the same regard?;);):LOL:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Don't take this personally....of course everyone will anyway!
I'm going to make a statement and attempt to make my case, if you have one one of these cartridges in a favorite rifle by all means enjoy the gun but realize on the current trajectory new ammunition and guns will cease to exist in 10 years.
Here I go "whistling bomb sound effects"
Every 25 caliber cartridge ever invented!
The why.
1. 25 caliber bullets are .257 in diameter,6.5 bullets are .264, that's .007 difference in diameter, a standard sheet of office paper is .004, two sheets are thicker than the difference between the two bullets.
2. The real difference is bullet manufacturers and gun makers have ignored that bore diameter for decades, when was the last time a new 25 caliber cartridge was introduced? 25 wssm? That worked out well. When was the last time a successful 25 caliber was introduced 25-06? That was 1969, over 40yrs ago and it's single handedly kept the 25 caliber out of the dust bin of history (sorry 257 Roberts guys).
3. Enter the 6.5 cm and 6.5 prc,both do everything that any of the 25's do only better except the 257 Weatherby which is likely to hang in there,Weatherby does a good job of supporting their cartridges.
Apologies to my friends with 25-06's and 257R, I call them how I see them

.007. That is precisely the difference between the 280 Remington and the 270 Winchester and, they're essentially based on the same cartridge case. Argument could be made that both are useless as the 7 X 64 Brenneke preceded both. It preceded the 270 by 8 years and the 280 by 38 years. Which is useless? Neither? Both? All the above?

I would concur with jimboro that it is the 6.5 wannabemoor but, there is so many that came out the last 40 years that are no more than ballistic duplicates of cartridges introduced pre-WWI.

However, I'm guilty of owning and shooting so many rifles in cartridges so obscure many have never heard of them so the argument could also be made that sharps shoots a lot of useless cartridges.....and he likes it a very great deal!!!!!

·
Premium Member
17,256 Posts
Re; Ted Kaczynski
Authority on what? Radicalism? His books tell me his 'worth' to me.
'Firearms authority' carries more weight ....and much more fog. With Gen. J. Hatcher at the top, who's left?
My view of magazine writers is pretty well known. I'd consider one an 'authority' on most things firearms related.

How much of the same ol stuff has NEW plastered across the front? How many soft drinks have come and gone in 50 years? Tater chips?
Unless there are new calibers there's no use for new guns, without new guns how will they stay alive?
Who will talk and write about it so they sell more of them?

It's great fun to read old Stoger's Shooter's Bibles. I memorized those.

·
Registered
471 Posts
As far as gun rags, I haven't subscribed to any in....30 years or more? I do occasionally get a copy of Rifle or Handloader if they accidently publish an article on something that actually interests me. I would guess that happens about once every 5-7 years.

Reactions: Don Fischer

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just for fun...

If I told you about a 16 year old who enrolled to harvard at 16. After graduating, he got his PhD in mathematics from U Michigan; and was a professor at UC Berkley immediately afterwards.
He would definitely be considered an authority to listen to!

...When I tell you his name is Ted Kaczynski, would you still hold his opinion in the same regard?;);):LOL:
Hey!
I feel the same way as Ted did sitting at a Red Light on an empty byway. :mad:
Just for fun!
Lol

1 - 20 of 105 Posts