Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Straight wall 454 new starline brass.
using RCBS carbid dies.
just started to size them (first time sizing with the rock chucker) and after i size them the casess seam to have a line or a distortion in the bottom about a 1/4
inch up from the bottom of the cass. (die set up according to directions)
is this normal?
thanks
MIKEC

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
I'm assuming this is not a scratch type line but a Quasi-bottle neck looking shape at the bottom of the case from the carbide die.

This is normal with a carbide ring type sizer die.

I think that Lee uses a tapered type of carbide ring in their die to alleviate this look.

Load'em up.

Regards, Ray

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ray is correct on the carbide ring issue and also another thing is that the rcbs dies for the 454 are dimensionally correct thus by sizing the case down to correct diameter for a tight bullet pull. I asume the ring you are seeing is just below the web of case? if you take a measurement of the I.D. of case you will come up with .448" or very close in which is a must for the slow ball powders to get them to burn at max efficiency and also aid in crimp jump. nothing more than cosmetic. load em up and have fun.

·
Registered
19 Posts
IF THIS LINE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BELT YOU MAY HAVE SET THE SIZE DIE TOO LOW AND ARE NOW RESIZING THE SOLID CASE HEAD, WHICH I CAN YOU ASSURE WILL NEVER NEED IT.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts