Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Marshall,

I have every intention of taking the "fixins" for a couple of these with me for my guiding season in late May, early June.

We have up to six clients and a dozen different bait stations going for a two week period. It will be interesting to see if I can get more activity at a site with one of these than at the other sites.

I think the potential is GREAT since a small "honey burn" will produce activity but the fire risk negates the option of having it work all day to prepare the area for the long twilight sit our 24 hour daylight.

Scotty

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rev. Scotty,

Please let us know what happens out there, once you come out of the pucker brush!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
516 Posts
very clever devise.  I once read in a book by the late Ben Rodgers Lee that a good scent devise was made from a thermos bottle. Drill out a hole in the top stopper that just fits a piece of tubing or a 6" nipple. Seal the bottom end of the tube that is in the thermos when the top is on. Have a removable plug on the top (outside) end of the tube so you can pour in scent and close it up. Fill thermos w/ boiling water and put the "top/tube" piece in place. On stand, remove the plug and let the hot fumes waft about. I never tried it, but always figured it would work well in cold weather regardless of sky conditions.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Marshall,

I made up one of these with "camp scraps" and a Leatherman tool.

I used a soup can for the stack, punched holes to let the air through, put the scent on a scrap of towel in the bottom of the can and tied the bag on with string. I used a couple of crossed sticks to keep the bottom of the bag spread out. I hoisted the whole mess up into a tree with parachute cord.

Results? Very positive. My client took a nice boar the second evening. For some reason we had a bad year in our camps and the other bears taken were small sows on the last evening.

I cannot say for sure that the attractor was the only reason for success but I am convinced that it helped. It was enough to bring the boar in despite my snoring 8*)

While I may "refine" my attractor and build a proper one as you did, there was something special about having everyone watch my antics as I concocted one from the trash heap.

Thanks,

Scotty

1 - 5 of 5 Posts