Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many years ago I did some articles for Handloader and Rifle.  At that time they were working to build a place in the industry and had some great people. Recently, I mailed in to them a copy and work up of the Beartooth Wildcats we have been working on, more for their records than anything. I received a little form letter from Dave Scovill saying they had enough "freelance" material for the next two years! Watch for our wildcats to be "designed" by one of their syndicated writers before long! It's happened before and it will happen again! This is a example why I do not support the likes of them anymore! All you have to do is go to one Outdoor Writers Seminar and watch what happens! I don't trust any of these writers who trade their 12 month syndicated articles for "goodies" from the manufacturers!!!!
It's Forums like this one where you will get the straight dope.....that's why it's the big number 7 of the top 100 sites!!! Keep the good stuff rolling! Remember the new shooters/reloaders!!! Don't get too polarized!!
Best Regards To All, James

(Edited by James Gates at 4:17 pm on April 30, 2001)

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
Actually James Beartooth is up to Sixth.

I had an interesting experience with Wolfe Publishing recently as well. I ordered the 8-volume set of Stewart Edward White's non-fiction hunting books. They were just &#3640 last month. Compare that to &#3625 per book not long ago. Great deal for a great author's work.

Here's the funny part. When the box arrived, there was an invoice for an additional &#361.50 postage. This over and above what I'd already paid for shipping per the Wolfe website. A note read, I quote "Sorry we don't have a way on the web site to show the correct shipping charges. Please remit the amount due. Thank you for your order!"

Hmmm, maybe they should hire young Alex Stanton to run their website! Granted it's a trivial amount of money but that shows p**s-poor customer service if you ask me.

(Edited by Bill Lester at 7:50 pm on April 30, 2001)

·
Banned
61 Posts
It's a sad situation, Rifle and Handloader used to be the best of the gun rags. under Dave Wolfe as I recall.
There's no hope for a free-lance writer in today's market. Stables of tame contract writers tell it like the advertiser wants it to be, and most of the 'editorial content' is un-retouched advertising art and copy straight from the industry's flacks.
You really have to sift to find a few nuggets of good information, even in the Rifleman, now. A perfect example is the most recent 'Law Enforcement' issue. Now what is THAT all about??
I have stacks and stacks of back issues of Guns, G&A, Shooting Times, Handloader and Rifle. (My Rifleman copies have always been 'redistributed' in an effort to get the word out to the unconvinced.) It's easy to see that as the great old field writers died off, no new people were brought up to replace them, and staff writers with questionable credentials and big axes to grind were brought on board.
The Web is the place to go now for information. It's raw, sometimes, and you have to accept or reject some of it based on your own experience and common sense, but that's much better than being force-fed sewage by a bunch of pretty boys in suits.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
Even with my recent "trouble," I still believe that Rifle and Handloader along with The American Rifleman are worthy of note. Diminished somewhat with the loss of the Keiths, O'Connors, Aagaards, etc., but still the best of the breed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts