Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to mount an EOTECh on my 1895 marlin. Wondering if it'll handle the recoil from factory loads, as well as Garrett, Buffalo Bore, and Grizzly 500+ grainers. I just put on an XS lever rail which I plan to mount it on. GG &G sells a neat lever lock I wanna try. I don't have any back up sights except the front fiber optic sight, which is basically like a shotgun bead at this point lol. If anyone knows of a good picatinny mounted rear sight let me know or i'll buy one off of you. I had the magazine tube lengethne on my rifle so I can hold 8 cartridges total in the gun.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Was talking to a fellow whose dad has a helicopter business.

They were out doing an aerial hog eradication when the EOTECH came loose on the rail of the shooter's AR. It fell approximately 500-600 feet. They immediately dropped flagging material and went to look for it. Two hours later, they found the sight, remounted it (tighter this time) and it went back to work. :eek:

I'd say that's a durable sight.

·
Registered
307 Posts
well, the coast guard mounts them on the .50BMG sniper rifles for close in work. i guess if it can handle the .50BMG, it can handle the .45-70. also, i have one mounted on my .450 bushmaster. it holds up well on that too.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I think the test of how tough they are is that they are GI proof. The Army and Marines are using them in Iraq and the Stan.
I have seen them pass the timex test over and over again.

Kudu40

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, the coast guard mounts them on the .50BMG sniper rifles for close in work. i guess if it can handle the .50BMG, it can handle the .45-70. also, i have one mounted on my .450 bushmaster. it holds up well on that too.
oh wow I didnt know that, I thought they just put them on ar-15's... thats an impressive sight

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the test of how tough they are is that they are GI proof. The Army and Marines are using them in Iraq and the Stan.
I have seen them pass the timex test over and over again.

Kudu40
yea true, I just figured that because they put them on small caliber rifles that they weren't designed to be put on large caliber firearms, but if they are mounted on .50 cals then definately getting one. I love the reticle on them, i think its perfect for a close quarters scenario with a bear or deer or moose, whatever game animal up close, you can stick that big red circle on it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks... i think it should be fine, i'm not worried about cheek wield.. its a brush gun so i'm not gonna have the gun up for extended periods of time i'm not gonna be clearing rooms with it therefore If its a little high its not a big deal, in fact it might even be more comfortable for me that way

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm gonna back away from the idea of mounting the EOTECH on my 1895 for now... maybe later in the year when more funds are available. For now just gonna mount a tru-glo 4 reticle red/green 30mm tube sight. Costs 150 bucks and looks pretty high quality. Eventually i'll get an eotech and i'll try mounting on my .45-70 will let everyone know how that works

·
Registered
79 Posts
You wont have a problem with the sight. We used them in the Army and I don't have enough time to tell you all the @#$$*)) we put them through. Do it and have fun!:)

·
Registered
654 Posts
Same here, EOTECHS have been great sites for us. They even make a magnifier for them, which is 3x. They really take alot of knocking around and keep a solid zero. Can't say enough good about them. Scotty

1 - 15 of 15 Posts