Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about a 25-20 WCF for quite a while now... Any of you have any experience with the Marlin 1894CL in this caliber? Was hoping to hear how easy/hard they are to get to shoot cast bullets and what range of bullet weights they will handle. Looking for something inexpensive to shoot - plinking and small game.

Also- are these guns of the microgroove persuassion? What diameter bullets have worked, favorite loads, etc. Anything that you may have to share - much appreciated!

Sky C.
Longmont, CO

·
Registered
20 Posts
25-20

Hello SKY, I have had a 1894CL in 25-20 for about 10 years now and it has become my favorate small game rifle. Thay shoot cast bullets very well and do NOT have microgrove rifleling. I am overseas now and do not have my loading data with me, but from what I can remember I use a cast bullet at 86gr, no gas check with 4.5gr of Unique. Don't remember the diameter of the bullet. I also use the Remington 87grJSP with 5gr of Unique. Standard small pistol primors for both loads. Both loads shoot to the same point of impact. Velocity is about 1400fps for both loads. (no chronagraph) These loads are great stoppers on small game since the bullets are bigger than the .22RF but there is no excessive meat destruction since the bullets are moving at a moderate velocity. For a high velocity load try the Hornady 60gr JSP. Don't remember how much powder I used but I was able to get about 1800fps using H110. These lighter bullets shoot very high so you will need a higher front sight to shoot them. I use a Lyman reciever sight , these rifles are drilled and tapped for these. Go buy it if you can find one!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts