Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All.... I'm thinking of purchaseing a Savage Predator Series rifle but am not sure which one to go with so I though I would check to see what everyone's opinion was. I'm looking at the 243 cal.; the Model 10 and the Model 10 Hunter Max 1 the only diffences seem to be the AccuStock and a flueted barrel on the Max 1. I'm wanting a good shooting rifle out of the box, I do realize that I will need to work my loads to get the most out of it and not skip on the optics and mounts. But I don't want to have to dump a pile of money into it to get the accuracy that I want. I've also though of the Remington SPS varmit on the 700 action. Any thoughts and opinions will be greatly appriciated!!

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Both should shoot okay in the accuracy department. Differences of opinion on the AccuStock but in general its okay until the action is removed from the stock then things get dicey restoring to original accuracy. My opinion of flutting on barrels is not high. Mostly a marketing gimmick with very little real world reality too supposed benefits. If the Predator series rifles are the camoflage ones then be aware the camoflage painting will eventually wear on edges. Real hard doing anything at this point too mask, repair or make it look better for resale.

·
Registered
107 Posts
As savage goes I'd suggest any of them. They all come with floated barrels but I would suggest a model that comes with the accutrigger. As far as the accustock, I'm waiting on my model 16 to arrive before I can talk about actual performance. In the store it did feel better to me so I went with it. Probably not necessary as I have an older savage without the accustock that will shoot .5" groups at 100 yards with just about any ammo. Savage has definitely improved over the years and has become a fine firearm at a reasonable price. The best advice I can give you is to try each of the models you listed and see which one fits you the best.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'll just give you something more to think about. I purchased a predator hunter in 204 three months ago and just last weekend took an adult first time shooter to the range where I live. After getting him accustomed to the rifle, approximately ten shots from a single sand bag, we set a target up at 200 yards. His next three shots fell into the 2 inch bull.
The rifle and caliber are a super combination however I'm sure any one you choose, you'll be pleased with

1 - 5 of 5 Posts