Shooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thinking about moving north!

6K views 47 replies 24 participants last post by  m141a 
#1 ·
If everything goes right I will be living in Alaska by April. What rifles would any of you guys suggest I buy and take with me. I'm going to need one for myself and my wife. Thank you in advance for any input you may have. Steve

#4 ·
Kinda hard to go wrong with those choices, with the exception of the 7.7 Jap. You'll want to reload your own ammo because that will be a very tough round for which to find factory stuff. If it's a coin flip between the 300WM and 338WM, I'd go with the 338, personally, especially if your wife has the '06.

#5 ·
I have found decent factory ammo for the jap rifle, but its just to have an old gun. Not really for hunting. I think I want to end up with all 3 of the others. I just don't ever want to be out there hunting and be under gunned. Thanks for the comments guys. I was pretty sure what I would hear on here, but I like reassurance. Once I get up there and get to shoot something I will post up pictures in the hunting section.

#8 ·
A scoped 338 Win mag would cover all the bases with enough power to down anything up there, and depending on the bullet it'll give you all the range you need. 45/70 lever gun for knocking through the thick stuff, again all the power you'd need but keep it open sighted for up close work. No man should be without a 12 gauge pump-gun. Add a scoped 10/22 and I dont see what you wouldn't be prepared for up there, or really anywhere else on this hemisphere. I would venture to say that those four ammunition choices could be found in even the most remote locations in AK.

#9 ·
I will end up with the 338 win mag for sure. And I have the 10/22, and rem 870 is gonna happen when I get there. I'm getting real excited about buy the 2 guns. This is going to be an adventure of a life time. Also once I get my family settled, I'm going to pick up all the handloading equipment I need and not woryy about factory ammo any more. I have learned more about guns on this forum than I could have imagined, thank you guys. You have been a great help.

#10 ·
Personally, I'd give serious consideration to a 35Whelen. A bolt like the Ruger Hawkeye or the remington 750 carbine would be very handy. The 750 would handle quickly and hit as hard as any 338mag. Another gun to seriously consider is a marlin Guide gun in 450Marlin or 45-70. They would handle the nasty critters with ease and they have the "frontier" look to them that cries out "Alaska".

#11 ·
+1 !! I agree with the Whelen idea as well as a 45-70 (.450). The Whelen is way better IMHO than the .300WM choice. On my one trip there for black bear, I carried a BLR/.450 and it felt better in my hand with a grizzly in sight than any .300 would have...lol. :D

I would also prefer a .35 Whelen to the .338 actually. Heavy loads with bullets up to 310gr available and I simply like the added frontal area. The .35 Whelen is closer to the .375 H&H than the .338 in frontal area.

#12 ·
I echo the recommendations for a shot gun. 12 gauge pump or double barrel.

I read somewhere that the US Gov provides 10 gauge pumps to Gov workers, like US Geological Foundation teams sent up their to study/work. It is their grizzly defense gun.

The 338, the 35 Whelan or 375 are all sound recommendations. I think they are all good for the dangerous stuff that lives in Alaska. While there are some big dangerous animals in Alaska it is not like you MUST have the biggest bullet on earth all the time. I actually really like the 30-06 and you might find yourself using it as much or more than your wife. I mean --- are you hunting ONLY GIANT grizzlies/Brown bear? I doubt it. You will be hunting animals like deer and other thin skinned animals for meat I would think. Why smash them to smithereens with the big cannons and ruin all the meat? That 22 LR I bet will see alot of action too and is a good choice.

12 gauge will also be good for fowl. A lot of fowl in Alaska that are good eating.

#13 ·
Ammo considerations once you get here...

Depending on where you live until you begin relaoding, from your choices and the guys suggestions these are the choices most available here in Anchorage and the valley.

.45-70
.375 H&H
.338 Win Mag
.300 Win Mag
.30-06
.22LR

are available almost anywhere in the state even many of the village stores.
Village stores will cater mostly to the locals and carry what they shoot and so the list will change a little.

The RCM and other compacts and Federal (.338 Fed) cartridges are fewer and farther between and brass is nearly non existent unless you order it online.

zoar, they went to .45-70 lever guns at the USGS back in 2000-2001 or so for bear protection in the field according to a kid who worked for me and interned with them then.

On the subject of moving to AK.
Sharpshooter, if you dont already have a contract signed saying you have a job when you get here, be aware its tougher here now than it used to be. Contruction jobs are fewer and farther between and there are whole malls that are new and empty because no one is moving into the spaces so no one is building more.
The recession is here.
Either make sure you have a year's wages saved or have a job you can drop right into day one cause things arent all wonderful. Nepotism is the word of the day every day.

Hunting up here is good if you can get to it. The hunting pressure on the road system is HEAVY as there arent the back roads everywhere like the lower 48.
You will either need a boat or small plane or the money to get someone to get you to the place you want to hunt.
Gas is $3.58 a gallon regular unleaded now and in the travel season it will go up again.

Im not telling you not to come, just telling you what reality to expect.

#15 ·
Ammo considerations once you get here...

Depending on where you live until you begin relaoding, from your choices and the guys suggestions these are the choices most available here in Anchorage and the valley.

.45-70
.375 H&H
.338 Win Mag
.300 Win Mag
.30-06
.22LR

are available almost anywhere in the state even many of the village stores.
Village stores will cater mostly to the locals and carry what they shoot and so the list will change a little.

The RCM and other compacts and Federal (.338 Fed) cartridges are fewer and farther between and brass is nearly non existent unless you order it online.

zoar, they went to .45-70 lever guns at the USGS back in 2000-2001 or so for bear protection in the field according to a kid who worked for me and interned with them then.

On the subject of moving to AK.
Sharpshooter, if you don't already have a contract signed saying you have a job when you get here, be aware its tougher here now than it used to be. Construction jobs are fewer and farther between and there are whole malls that are new and empty because no one is moving into the spaces so no one is building more.
The recession is here.
Either make sure you have a year's wages saved or have a job you can drop right into day one cause things arent all wonderful. Nepotism is the word of the day every day.

Hunting up here is good if you can get to it. The hunting pressure on the road system is HEAVY as there aren't the back roads everywhere like the lower 48.
You will either need a boat or small plane or the money to get someone to get you to the place you want to hunt.
Gas is $3.58 a gallon regular unleaded now and in the travel season it will go up again.

I'm not telling you not to come, just telling you what reality to expect.
Thank you for the heads up. I'm not real worried about the job thing. I'm moving to a little town where I have a lot of family, and my mom owns a lodge and needs someone to run it for her so she can enjoy life a little more. So my wife and I are going to go help her out. As for the guns I believe I will have several, the 22lr, I'm going to by a 1 gauge rem 870 and the 30-06 and .300 win mag. The 338 is already there and ready for me. Over time I will acquire some other sweet guns. I'm turning into kind of a gun fanatic here lately. As soon as I get settled I'm buying the re loading equipment so I can work up the ideal load for what I want to accomplish. Thank you for the info it is greatly appreciated.

#20 ·
The 30-06 is for my wife and I really just want a .300 mag. And when I start reloading the .338 is gonna be for the bears. My wife love the .270 but I want her to have something we can put some bigger lead in that she can handle recoil wise. I think that I want just about every caliber I can get my hands on.

#21 ·
Moving to Alaska

Your wife will do fine with the .30-06. But once you start shooting that .338 Win Mag, you won't care for the .300. As a light load, the 210 Nosler Partition will do most everything you want. The heavier bullets can be used for big bears at close range. The .338 Win Mag is an exceptional cartidge and, at least to me, has less sharp recoil than a .300 Mag. Make sure you have a good 12 ga for close encounters at home.:)

#24 ·
> my mom owns a lodge and needs someone to run it for her so she can enjoy life a little more.

If I were you, I would be there yesterday! :)

Sounds like an excellent and exciting opportunity.

I consider the 12g pump the min. for firearm must haves, which you will already get, so I am going to recommend something else.

Just for fun I would buy a $100 Mosin/Nagant 91/30 because I have always wondered if you really can hit something 2500 feet away with the iron sights. Alaska would be the perfect place to try, and try, and try. A 440 round of spam can ammo for $90 would be a lot of shooting fun. Plus, it will probably work in the coldest worse conditions.

Take your favorite treats along. It will be much cheaper in the lower 48 and easier to find then in AK. Just try finding Fluffer-Nutter :-D

If driving I would load up on the ammo here, not in AK. Even if I was going to buy the gun in Alaska. A couple of 100 pounds takes up only a small corner in a trailer. Just don't stack it on a table or pile them on top of each other.

Buy your good boots and good gloves now in the lower 48 before trying to buy them in AK. Stock up on these 9v flashlights.

http://www.palights.com/

Buy a set of jumper cables in 0/2 in the lower 48 and take them with you.

Buy a rust free 4x4 in the southern states and drive or trailer it up to AK. I would add the block heater and hose heaters before I hit the road with it. If you decide to go with a 4x4 van, add the coolant driven rear heater , you can buy them from NAPA.

#26 ·
Perfect thread timing. I am helping to outfit my very good friend who is moving to Alaska this spring, either Anchorage or Fairbanks.

He won't be doing any long-range gunning or purposeful encounters with the bruins.

We got him a Marlin 1895G Guide Gun and since he doesn't fit single-actions well, we're going with a Ruger Redhawk 4" in .45 Colt. I'll provide him with the same +P hard-cast LSWC loads that I carry in my Vaquero in the deep woods.

Here's my real question that I need to start researching, but maybe there is a simple answer. He will drive to Alaska when he moves. Should we ship the guns or can they be in the pickup somehow? He has no trunk. One will be a rifle and one will be a handgun.

#27 ·
I'd suggest a sturdy bolt action in stainless and a variable power scope with see through mounts. The suggested caliber would be based upon your tolerance to recoil. It is better to have a gun you can shoot with confidence than one your afraid to shoot. Keep in mind you can shoot some fairly heavy recoiling rifles if you have a muzzel brake installed. I'd suggest a bolt action with claw type extracter with a synthetic stock/stainless steel action and barrel. I select a rifle with a variable power quality scope with see through mounts or a quick detachable scope for close up work. Chose well constructed bullets that promise significant penetration. The market is flooded with quality offerings. Caliber would be the heaviest you can shoot accurately with 338 being the minimum even though an 30-06 and the 223 will kill them dead,you must always consider that you may end up dealing with a very angry, very large bear that may not be very impressed with the smaller offerings. I personally would take a synthetic stainless 378 Weatherby with a 3.5 X 10 X 50mm Leupold or equivalant Night Force scope. This rifle cartridge combo would be durable/powerful enough to take the fight out of the meanist grizz or polar bear. Just make sure it has a muzzle brake or you make be needing some shoulder/eye socket repair.

#29 ·
So yesterday I went to some of the local gun shops and found a beautiful win model70. It was a .300 wm and have a alaskan guide 4.5-14x50 scope for $450. I wish I had some cash on me. But I have to wait for a couple of weeks for our tax returns to have the extra cash. I just hope its still around when I get it. And I found a couple of real nice 30-06's for my wife. I just hope I get the money soon. Thanks for all the input guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.