Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been changing my mind so much about what to buy, its making my head spin. so many nice firearms from so many companies.

i didnt really know where to put this, its not a 336, and its not big bore. but i was oooohhhin and aaaahhing over the 338MX from marlin. it supposedly closely resembles the trajectory and energy of a .30-06. 300 yard lever gun? and id like to know if there are any draw backs to it. i dont reload, so factory ammo is my only option. i dont get to shoot as much as i used to, had to move back on post and my rifles went home to new york with my wife. so i guess a few boxes every 6 months or so would hold me over till i go back into reserve status.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Well, Zach, it ought to have some pretty good punch to it, both from the muzzle and the shoulder end. I looked at the energy and trajectory tables, and couldn;t see much difference between it and the 30-06.

But.....would it be enough for bear? (:)D))

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, ok, ok, i just had a thread locked on me, lets not get into the bears(hahaha). i really like marlins, i even bought my wife a 336C in .35 rem, i almost didnt tell her who it was for. and i need something a little more suited for deer than my two current choices. so thats what has been catching my eye for quite some time. and the price on it, all things considered, isnt really all that bad. just figure youd pay about the same for a remington 700SPS, and the marlin is a much prettier rifle by far. the recoil isnt anything im concerned with, ive hunted with muzzle loaders, shot .450 bushmaster(one of my deer rifles this year) and numerous other heavy hitters. and jonny, i already have too many forum memberships to keep track of. but thanks anyway.

·
Registered
90 Posts
jonny, i already have too many forum memberships to keep track of. but thanks anyway.
To give the short version of some of the problems:
Barrel misalignment.... It sounds like the barrels are cross-threaded into the receivers.
Shoot fine with iron sights, but shoot 3 feet low @ 50yds with a scope.
Scope needs to be shimmed (a lot) to get it on the paper.

Hard extraction... Rough cut chambers scraping up brass

Missing Rifling... Some cases of 4 of the 6 lands missing. As in not cut. Hard to
imagine that being great for accuracy.

These are some of the problems that seem to be pretty common (in my limited reading), and
you should at least be aware of before spending $800 on a 3 1/2 foot prybar.
Of course, we only hear about the bad stories. I'm sure there are many happy customers.
Just go into it with your eyes open.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow, that sounds like some serious woops's. im not going to let it scare me away(completely) but i do know what to look at specifically if i do drop the hammer on this. but just taking a quick look at the ballistics of it, it seems like a well rounded cartridge, not a do all UBER cartridge. but something that will do mostly all i ask it too. not that i really need extended range for hunting, i cant remember ever taking a shot past 150-200M. most were well under 150 actually. but there are times my father in law and our group hunt corn feilds, and we've had to pass on nice deer becasue they were just out of reach, about 250-275ish. so an extra 50-75M of assurance would be nice, and i dont want to buy another .30-06. nothing against it at all, but i already owned one, and i really really like lever guns. even a "run of the mill" lever gun looks better and more intriguing than a "run of the mill" bolt gun.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Anybody owning a Marlin or considering buying one should visit the Marlinowners forum, Zach. It's unique in that it's nothing but Marlins. Alot of knowledge and information there.....

·
Registered
296 Posts
the 308ME may be the ticket.

Why would you buy another gun that matches exactly (or nearly so) of the 30-06 if you already have one.

The 308ME shoots a bit lighter bullet but will reach out. I know some on the marlinowners site have taken deer I believe at 250 yds. Also taken Elk at closer ranges.

The only concern I have with both the 308 ME and the 338ME is the survivability of the cartridge itself. The 308ME seems more well established and I think Remington as well as Hornady offer a factory round. I think the 338ME is ONLY Hornady for now. Since you say you don't reload then that may be a factor in your decision.

With the economy etc. And the consolidation of Marlin into the Remington/Cybrus umbrella, one has to wonder about Marlin cutting down on the number of calibers rather than expanding. However since they have the machining it seems like it doesn't cost much to continue. I would like to think that they would like to keep the company's namesake (Marlin) in a few chamberings however.

Marlinowners forum is great. Not to take away from this forum but for anyone interested in marlin's that is the "go to" site.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Well...I have an old school 336, have refurbished a lot of them and I have never seen a bad one. Everyone I have encountered has been accurate enough for deer hunting and very reliable. At the moment I am working on one that has developed a light firing pin strike but the rifle is at least 40 years old and I am certain that I am the only one that has ever had it apart. Not to say that some people have not had issues but I certainly never have seen a bad one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts