Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,728 Posts
Now all I need is a bench, bullets, brass, primers, powder, a tumbler, dies, reloading manuals, basic knowledge...
"Needing" a tumbler is the same level of importance as a first time car owner "needing" an unlimited car-wash pass.;)

Multiple manuals are better than one source alone, but certainly not the end of the world. Here's the short version of what you will find; in terms of data across multiple sources.
Powders have variations in lots, and when(or if) data was actually tested or calculated. So you will find starting charge weights variable up to a grain or two, but the velocities are essentially always the same or within 50fps of one another.
So the deal is ALWAYS start at the start load, and compare your velocities to what you are expecting. That will inform how closely YOUR specific lot compares to the published data. If you don't have a chrono, then NEVER exceed book published max charges, and honestly it isn't in your best interest to shoot a lot of them. You will find a few accurate loads before you get there 99% of the time..

Cheers

·
Registered
138 Posts
View attachment 102105
Now all I need is a bench, bullets, brass, primers, powder, a tumbler, dies, reloading manuals, basic knowledge...
I sympathize with the seemingly endless "Now all I need is" list, but it's probably not QUITE as bad as it sounds. You don't mention the caliber for which you intend to use this Anniversary Kit, but it is likely that you have brass laying around for your caliber of choice, or can find enough to get started. Unless it is some highly-specialized and rare "over bore" round, I suspect that it handles a fairly wide variety of projectiles and propellants. What you obtain in the short run may not be optimal, but it should keep you shooting.
You SHOULD get 2 or 3 loading manuals, but there's also loading data on the net from Hodgdon, Alliant, VV, and Speer (projectiles, not powder). There's also reloadammo.com, which is a not-half-bad source, also.
BASIC KNOWLEDGE comes from trying and doing. Borrow a friend's reloading manual and read, thoroughly, the section (usually) found in the front concerning reloading safety. Ask a friend to help you set up the kit!
Benches can be constructed out of nearly anything. Don't let your imagination be restrained in this respect. Just make sure the finished product is sturdy enough for you to (SAFELY) stand on.
Have fun!

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,948 Posts
Used to test the envelope in younger years, sometimes loading a couple grains more than published data. Shot well, but case heads took a beating and case life wasn't great.
In my older years, found the most accurate loads always seem a couple grains or so below those published maximums and much more fun to shoot. Case life was far better.
My go-to manual is the Lyman edition. They don't make bullets, powder or other components. Their products are in the assembly components line, therefore, I have more faith in their info.

·
Registered
430 Posts
A lot of knowledge online if you filter carefully. You really don’t need a tumbler to start with as you can clean cases other ways if necessary. Agree, you can never have too many reloading manuals. Now for the elephant in the room.....powder and primers. I doubt anyone here has a good answer for that in these crazy days.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,536 Posts
Used to test the envelope in younger years, sometimes loading a couple grains more than published data. Shot well, but case heads took a beating and case life wasn't great.
In my older years, found the most accurate loads always seem a couple grains or so below those published maximums and much more fun to shoot. Case life was far better.
My go-to manual is the Lyman edition. They don't make bullets, powder or other components. Their products are in the assembly components line, therefore, I have more faith in their info.

Agree 100%

I have their 48th, 49th and 50th plus a few of their older manuals.

As stated before, start at the start, read everything before doing anything, Lyman's "how to" section has more information than any other.

RJ

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
the covid zombies!!!!!!!

Reactions: roverboy

·
Super Moderator
13,674 Posts
That seems to be pretty much the fate of the long-haul victims of the disease.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I would suggest K.I.S.S.! One of the most popular "How To" texts is The ABCs of Reloading. It will easily get you started and shows methods and "whys", explains components and equipment needed. An excellent second text is a Lyman Reloading Handbook, 50th or 49th Edition. Lots of good "How To" and good load data. Then add manuals from these two until you have no more shelf space.

Check/consider your needs as you will hear "you need a..." (nearly every piece of reloading tool made is mentioned on a forum). I quite successfully loaded for 12 years for 4 calibers before I started tumbling, with no ruined dies, scratched cases or marred chambers. I no longer use "case gauges" as the barrels of my guns work much better (even for my Garand). I haven't trimmed a pistol case since 1992 and have had zero problems and get excellent crimps. I could mention more but that's the idea. Determine if you need a tool for better, safer handloads or if the resident forum expert say you absolutely need it and beware of the recommendations of a specific manufacturer only tools. But I also have purchased tools "jes 'cause I wanna"...

Go slow. Double check everything. Most important, have fun...

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I would suggest K.I.S.S.! One of the most popular "How To" texts is The ABCs of Reloading. It will easily get you started and shows methods and "whys", explains components and equipment needed. An excellent second text is a Lyman Reloading Handbook, 50th or 49th Edition. Lots of good "How To" and good load data. Then add manuals from these two until you have no more shelf space.

Check/consider your needs as you will hear "you need a..." (nearly every piece of reloading tool made is mentioned on a forum). I quite successfully loaded for 12 years for 4 calibers before I started tumbling, with no ruined dies, scratched cases or marred chambers. I no longer use "case gauges" as the barrels of my guns work much better (even for my Garand). I haven't trimmed a pistol case since 1992 and have had zero problems and get excellent crimps. I could mention more but that's the idea. Determine if you need a tool for better, safer handloads or if the resident forum expert say you absolutely need it and beware of the recommendations of a specific manufacturer only tools. But I also have purchased tools "jes 'cause I wanna"...

Go slow. Double check everything. Most important, have fun...
Let's not start making sense at this point in the game! :)

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Let's not start making sense at this point in the game! :)
o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O i totally agree with you!!! besides, EVERYBODY knows that wet tumbling is superior!!!!! (i'm a wet tumbler) whatever you do, don't tell the OP that you can reform the cases. and what about AIs? and obscure cartridges? holy black vs smokeless? and.............

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey everybody. It seems to me the OP is a person generally/genuinely interested in reloading. Can we keep this basic?
1. Buy a couple reloading manuals that clearly define reloading principles. Lee, Hornady, Sierra, Barnes...they all have very good information.
2. DON'T believe all that's posted. Start at minimum published loads and SLOWLY work up.
3. Please share what you're shooting (targets, game, mother in laws (forget the last one)).
4. What caliber and distances you plan to shoot.
To the OP, please let us know what your looking for. There's a lot of experts looking in....

·
Premium Member
15,721 Posts
My go to manual is Pet Loads by Ken Waters. A knowledgeable and trustworthy shooter actually shooting actual rifles and keeping good notes is a valuable resource.
What brass do you need? I have a lot.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Congratulations, needs a bigger box to put all the new needs in , ha ha have fun reloading is great ... don’t forget , you don’t have to need or even want it to get it .
Some times it’s good to get things in case you need it or want it later on.
Unless you have a crystal ball who really knows what or when that is .
If you get to much stuff you could always start collecting stamps or shoes.

cheers and enjoy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts