Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

Premium Member
So sorry for the loss. I can't say in print, what I would do and I damn sure would do. I truly feel for you. This is an instance where Justice should be Blind and any events never discussed.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To clarify I'm not the one who lost the dog it was the ranch manager Carlos Atencio, I don't know him. Article says it's a ranch 15mi east of Walden, probably driven by there 20 times over the years but wouldn't know which ranch it was.
That's up in RJ's neck of the woods.

Premium Member
Glad it wasn't you. Sorry for Carlos. No doubt, he'll know how to "manage" the problem. I do hope that RJ takes notice.

Registered
They have started to be a problem here in S Ore. Rancher below me lost a calf last spring . Then another one to the south of me lost one also. Been several attacks on stock over in Klamath co in the last couple of yrs.
Losing a dog for me to a predator would be like losing a family member to here.

Registered
Going to get worse. The Administration is considering relisting wolves as endangered which would take wolf control out of the hands of the states. Like Trace Adkins said when asked about how he deals with his daughters boyfriends.......I got a lot of land and a backhoe!

Registered
Not a big fan of annihilation of a species, but also understand that control of the more dangerous predators has to also be allowed.

The only native wolf species in my part of the world (Red Coastal Wolf - Canis rufus), was declared extinct in 1980 after decades of no verified sightings. It is a smaller species than the Northern Wolves. There were always stories of course when I was growing up, but I always put it off to Coyotes. I was friends with a large Dairy family from Galveston (and we delivered hay to them). They let me dove hunt on their pastures on the West side and they told stories about Wolf sightings like others I had heard. I was partially right...and wrong, as the NYT article below explains.

Of course, if every wild hog in the South died tomorrow, I would shed no tears.

Registered
We know all about wolves here in Idaho. I remember the before and the after is not pretty. Always have a wolf tag or rifle, whatever comes first.:mad:

Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
The problem is these wolves don't belong here. They are Canadian Artic wolves, not the gray wolves that used to inhabit the US. A big adult gray wolf might have weighed 75 pounds, the Canadian Arctic wolf weighs upwards of 125 pounds and breed like rabbits.

Like the "wild horses" in the Sandwash Basin here in NE Colorado, they just don't belong.

Hmmmm, maybe the wolves will take care of the world horse problem instead of eating elk, deer, sharp and cows.

It's only a matter of time before a granola crunching greenie gets attacked by one.

RJ

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd like to turn the discussion towards cartridge choice for a legitimate wolf hunt the 220 Swift is always been my go-to for long range shots on coyotes thinking that the 6 mm or 25 caliber version of a Swift would be just the ticket is anybody on here ever been to Alaska for a wolf hunt?

The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
The people that I know who have shot wolves have used whatever they had; one incident I'm aware of with a .45 ACP at close range and I bet that was a real-underwear changer! :eek:

Basically a big varmit rifle would be in order; depending on whether or not the hides would be desired for salvage, later. At least that would be my take on it.... if I was calling them in, the AR platform might really shine.....

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As far as bolt guns go either a 240 weatherby with a 87gr. V-max or a 257 weatherby with the 90gr blitzking both have adequate energies out at 500yds, the 257 will supposedly launch that 90gr blitzking at a ferocious 3800fps!
With a bc. of .388 wind drift and the lead on a running wolf would be as low as one could ever hope for, at that velocity there shouldn't be a problem of over penetration leaving a gaping hole in your trophy either. The numbers for this cartridge /bullet combination are truly impressive, it arrives at the 500yd mark in less than half a second with 1300ft lbs of energy and 16" of drop.{300yd zero}
Hail to all you guys out there with a 257wm!
I have almost no reloading tools and zero components in .25 having only had one 25-06 for a short period so my inclination would be towards the 240wm, they say it has a mv of 3500 with the 87gr v-max, not exactly coasting! Might get another 2 cartridges down the magazine well if you opted for a 6mmx06 custom rifle over a 257wm. If you used a 700 there are detachable box magazines that hold even more.

Premium Member
Dang it. I thought about offering up the .257wby a few hours ago, then rethought, thinking I don't have the experience with one to offer anything? Other'n the .270 Win, the .257 wby stole my heart when I started learning about ballistics 50 years ago. I have fired one .257 wby, exactly four times in my life, at 100 yds. Sighting it in for a friend. That rifle was brand stinking new and had the fanciest 6x24 Target scope on it that I had ever seen, that was thirty years ago. Took three shots to sight it in three inches high at one hundred yards. The fourth shot was a "bragger", I had my current gf, at the time, turn the spotting scope up to the top right hand corner of the target, where it was held on by a standard staple, told her to watch the staple and then I made it disappear. That's the last time I shot that rifle.

Registered
I would think any 6mm - .277 would be fine. I have shot a lot of Coyotes with 25-06 (both 87 and 117 gr.). Even 22 Mag inside 75 yards. .243 Win. or 6mm Remington would also be a good choice because of the wide range of bullet choices. I would even use my .204 Ruger with the Sierra 39 gr. Blitzking or a 40 gr. V-Max.

Registered
If your not worried about recovering-just eradicating I wouldn't see where a .204 or .223 in the ribcage couldn't do the job.

Registered
IMHO, it's one thing to shoot (or defend yourself against?) groundhogs, prairie dogs, crows, and even 35# coyotes with 'light' varmint guns, like 22 Mag., 204 Ruger, 222 Rem., etc., but If I'm faced with a 120# toothy critter having ill intentions toward me, I'm thinking Kevin's choices (or JW's upper choices) are more to my liking, even at 500 yards! A 'No guts- No glory' approach could leave one with a chewed up butt!;)

P.S. My BIL had both 240 and 257 Weatherby Mags., in Mark V rifles, back in the 1970's. Both were good performers. The 6mm-06 is a virtual twin to the 240 WM, and cases are easier and cheaper to come by! Don't even need forming dies if you start with 25-06, or have dies sets for the various sizes between 6mm and 30-06, to bring down 06 cases in steps.

Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
300RUM, 110 grain Vmax. Flat, fast and deadly.

OOPS! Did I say that "out loud" 馃槺

RJ

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Given the difficulty in getting components and custom work done these days I'm thinking my 6.5prc loaded with a 95gr v-max might be the best choice for me. Velocity would probably be close to 3500fps, that would do the trick.
I don't know anything about the tenacity of wolves but I've shot a lot of coyotes over the years maybe 200, the one thing for certain is you have no idea what's going to happen when you put a bullet in one. Sometimes a 17hmr will drop them stone cold dead another time you can blow fist sized hole out of their chest with a 7-08 leaving most of their innards laying on the ground on the off side and they run 75yds full out like you missed them.
That's a 25-35lb coyote, a full size wolf can go 150lbs, thinking I wouldn't want to go under gunned, as far as the pelt goes, wolf hunts range from 2-5 grand, definitely want that hide for a rug.

Registered
Coyotes can be tough! I shot one while bowhunting deer in 1976. I was standing in the edge of the woods next to a stubble Milo field. He came walking up about 30 yards away and was standing with his butt toward me. I put a 650grain Microflight 12 glass arrow into his right hip. It went his full length but stayed in him, coming out centered in his chest with the tip stopping just under his chin. At the hit, he began spinning around growling and biting at his right hip, where the arrow went in, as though something had ahold of him. After several spins, he ran full tilt right at me and entered the woods about 10 feet to my left. It happened so fast I couldn't even get another arrow drawn from the quiver, not that it would have done any good anyway! After about a 20 minute 'death wait' (actually time for me to settle down!), I tracked the blood and found him lying upright on his belly with his nose against a cedar tree trunk, that had boughs that were down to the ground. Not knowing if he was dead or not I cautiously (and a little shakily) snuck in and poked him in the butt with another arrow. When he didn't move, I grabbed him by a hind leg and pulled him out. He has been hanging on my wall for 45 years as a head on/open mouth full rug mount, with full winter coat.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts