Shooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

The Shadow (Moderator)
I'd like to turn the discussion towards cartridge choice for a legitimate wolf hunt the 220 Swift is always been my go-to for long range shots on coyotes thinking that the 6 mm or 25 caliber version of a Swift would be just the ticket is anybody on here ever been to Alaska for a wolf hunt?
Couldn't tell you anything about the load, other than a good friend's father was hot on his 6*47 when he last went up. It worked, but he decided he wasn't happy with the results. That's about as much as I got from him, so read into that whatever you will. A 165,gr launched from a 308 makes swiss cheese out of them. 馃槈

Cheers

Reactions: MZ5

Registered
My brother was hunting with a buddy lookin for elk getting late in the day when a wolf comes out of the timber and stops. Mistake! Buddy smacked him little far back with 338 wm and he runs off. It got dark and they lost the blood trail. I suspect bullet didn't open but wolf died anyway.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Watched a bunch of video's, thinking RJ might be on to something with his 300rum, might go with a 165 bullet though, one with a really high bc. I'd go for one of those new wonder scopes as well like the Vortex Diamondback tactical 6x24.

Registered
Police Officer Retired
I remember a case from Montana in which a rancher iterrupted a Grizzly attempting to kill his horse inside a corral next to his barn. The rancher killed the Grizzly defending his horse. Some idiot from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Agency charged the rancher for killing an endangered species( at that time). The rancher was convicted but a U.S.District Court Judge struck down the conviction on the grounds that鈥 the right of a Farmer to defend his livestock, animals was older than any constituted Government鈥.

Registered
We either kill the predatory wolves or we reduce the human population. It's not likely we humans are going anywhere soon so if it's a choice between them or us it's them.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
If your a rancher in Montana probably save yourself a lot of trouble by buying a couple of wolf tags every year

Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
Ranchers don't need tags in Montana, just proof of depredation or harassment of livestock.

RJ

Reactions: shawlerbrook

Registered
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
To me it would be worth the 50.00 to be able to shoot one on sight anywhere and not have to justify it to a game warden other than I wanted the hide and skull.
I was looking to see what tanned hides go for, crazy money, 500. to 1250. Cleaned up skulls go for 2-300.

Registered
One of my many cousins in Montana has a neighbor who's a professional trapper. He brought over 3 he'd just caught and they were all over 125# biggest was 150. I'll have to look for pics.

Registered
They have started to be a problem here in S Ore. Rancher below me lost a calf last spring . Then another one to the south of me lost one also. Been several attacks on stock over in Klamath co in the last couple of yrs.
I was unaware of this in the So. OR area.

I occasionally hear of people seeing wolves in the Central OR area, and one reporting hearing howling while camping while hunting but not much more.

I suspect it will only be a matter of time however before we start having more problems.

Registered
I was unaware of this in the So. OR area.

I occasionally hear of people seeing wolves in the Central OR area, and one reporting hearing howling while camping while hunting but not much more.

I suspect it will only be a matter of time however before we start having more problems.
I think it was 3 yrs ago somebody shot one over by Silver lake. F&W offered a 25K reward for info leading to the arrest.
Don't think they ever found who dun it.
Had a lone wolf pass through the draw below the house last winter. Managed to not get on my trail cam but the local Biologist confirmed it was a traveler that had been running between here and Calif.
Everybody should have a C1 tag.;)

21 - 40 of 41 Posts