Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Thompson 1927A1 Tommy Gun, semi-auto, made by Auto-Ordnance. I am unable to pull the bolt all the way to the rear. It is too hard. I can barely pull it back far enough to cock it, but not far enough to chamber a round. I contacted Auto-Ordnance/technical and they told me there is nothing that can be done. The weapon is a remake of the original Thompson, that was designed to auto fire from the open bolt. Since it is semi-auto, using a double recoil spring operation, the bolt is very hard to pull to the rear. Has anybody else had this problem and does anyone know of a solution to correcting this? The manufacture says I just have to deal with it.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I doubt there is anything you can do to reduce the amount of strength needed to operate the firearm. You will probably need to experiment with different angles and grips to pull the charging handle back. There may be an extended charging lever to get more leverage on but I'm not for sure on that.

I personaly don't get it. As I'm a large guy and because of what I do, I have a lot of finger, hand, wrist, and arm strength. I've never had a problem with charging any firearm.

Try charging it faster and don't ride the bolt home. When you hit the wall, which is when the bolt can go no further back, you need to just let it go. I see a lot of people who struggle are trying to charge their firearm slowly and then usually ride the bolt home... let that sucker rip. It's meant to be that way. Don't try and destroy it, but don't be gentle with it. Pull the bolt back with authority and speed. Like a jab from a boxer.

·
Premium Member
14,239 Posts
That spring is 'balanced' to the caliber. If you alter it the gun will NOT work correctly and could be dangerous.

A lady student one time INSISTED she was going to carry a 1911 but she wasn't strong enough to load one....nothing I could do but point out the reality of firearms design. The bigger, blow-back actions are tough, but that's what they need to work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone, I’m new here too. Just joined this morning. I too just bought a Thompson last week. Am playing with it and seeing just how hard it is to pull the bolt as well, and I’m not that big myself. Anyway, I figured, what the ****. I love the way it looks, and have wanted one since I was a kid. Needless to say I’m not a kid anymore. Anyway, just wanted to say hello.

·
Premium Member
14,239 Posts
I had a customer years ago that shot a Thompson and had problems with the knob. He made a 'bracelet' with a loop on it to hook on the op handle so he used his shoulder and whole arm instead of hooking a finger. Same action as a release for a bow, just a different 'string'.

·
Registered
6,197 Posts
I recently purchased a Thompson 1927A1 Tommy Gun, semi-auto, made by Auto-Ordnance. I am unable to pull the bolt all the way to the rear. It is too hard. I can barely pull it back far enough to cock it, but not far enough to chamber a round. I contacted Auto-Ordnance/technical and they told me there is nothing that can be done. The weapon is a remake of the original Thompson, that was designed to auto fire from the open bolt. Since it is semi-auto, using a double recoil spring operation, the bolt is very hard to pull to the rear. Has anybody else had this problem and does anyone know of a solution to correcting this? The manufacture says I just have to deal with it.
Never touched a semi, but worked on a lot of Thompsons. Don't mess with the springs. If you can't adjust to it, perhaps it may be best to sell it and buy something else.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too noticed how hard it is and am thinking of taking a piece of wood around 12in. and drilling a hole in the center a little more than the bolt size. Putting the barrel against my shoulder and pushing downward with both hands on the wood. You would be using all your shoulder weight and should be quite easy that way. I'll make one and let everybody know how I make out. There is always a solution to a problem if your willing to figure one out instead of JUST LIVING WITH IT!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yea, I realize the post is old but, I don't see a answer and thought someone else might be looking for an answer instead of just living with it. Not everybody needs help the same time as everybody else.

·
Registered
11,945 Posts
You may want to rethink struggling with cocking the gun with the barrel that close to your face. Bad things have been known to happen

·
Premium Member
14,239 Posts
Cut a notch in the top of your walking stick for the cocking knob and PUSH the gun forward to cock it. NEVER mess with any gun pointed towards you or others.

·
Registered
6,197 Posts
I only work in real ones. Started in the 70s and still occasionally work on one.
Cut a notch in the top of your walking stick for the cocking knob and PUSH the gun forward to cock it. NEVER mess with any gun pointed towards you or others.
Or in an unsafe direction.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is no question this is difficult, and made more difficult that the charging handle knob is reasonably small and can be rough on your hands.

There are extended charging handles for many other types of bolts, and even one for the SIDE charging handle on the M1 Thompson by Kahr, but none I could find for the top charging Thompson 1927 A1.

As there is a slot in the handle-I asked my gunsmith to see if he could make something for this that would slip into the slot and secure to allow more "purchase"

ANY comments and/or ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,777 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. This is an old post that seems to be making the rounds and still looking for an answer. Glad to see you here. All the best...
Gil

·
Premium Member
14,239 Posts
The reality of the strength of a blow-back action spring is not going away. It is what it is. The M-3 uses a cocking lever that reduces forces needed to compress the spring, but the Thompson is 'direct drive' with limited space for recoil, hence a strong spring. To lighten the spring, usually wrecks the gun. As the spring gets kinked from over-recoil, it loses even more resistance and the bolt hammers even harder and the gun dies from acting like a jack-hammer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts