Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not see many thompson rifles around my neck of the woods. I like what I read and see , mostly being able to change barrels- BUT....I would like some information from people that know, if there is a problem with this rifle or a shortcoming that would hurt the use and sells of this weapon. Just curious since I do not see many, not counting muzzleloaders. I learning and appreciate that help and guidance. God Bless!

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
I have not owned one of these rifles but have handled and shot one a number of years ago.

The rifles you ask about are the TCR 83 (Double set triggers) and TCR 87 (single trigger).

From what I remember, it was a very well made rifle and shot well. (Think it was a 30-06 if I remember correctly).

TC discontinued them due to poor sales/high price I believe. I don't think that there was any other reason for it like a shortcoming with them at all. Well made rifle. It's possible they came out at the wrong time for shooters desires. Heck, 20 years ago, you couldn't give away a levergun around here, now they are in high demand.

However, with the NEF Handi-Rifles selling so well, I'd wager that if TC came out with them again in a more reasonably priced version, they would sell well.

Regards

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
insman,
are you talking about the rifles Contender mentioned or the carbines/rifles built on the Contender and Encore frames? I don't anticipate seeing TC come back out with the TCR rifles, but it would make me happy, since I'm becoming a single shot fan as time passes.

Here's a sample of a Contender Carbine.

Attachments

·
Banned
105 Posts
Thompson Center rifles

ins.man said:
I do not see many thompson rifles around my neck of the woods. I like what I read and see , mostly being able to change barrels- BUT....I would like some information from people that know, if there is a problem with this rifle or a shortcoming that would hurt the use and sells of this weapon. Just curious since I do not see many, not counting muzzleloaders. I learning and appreciate that help and guidance. God Bless!
I used to own a Thompson Center Contender pistol about 25 years ago. Quality and accuracy was superb. 30 years ago all they made was the pistol so there a big pressure put on Thompson to make a carbine version of the Contender pistol. They eventually obliged with longer barrels and a shoulder stock. It is accurate and highly sought after. Unfortunately the frame was too small to handle modern day centerfire cartridges (like the .30-06) so they stuck with the .22 Hornet, 7mm Waters, .30-30 and .45-70.

In 1983 they came out with the TCR 83. It had a bigger, stronger action to handle the .30-06 type rounds but didn't go over big with the shooting public though it was a well made piece. I did not buy one because I did not like the safety on it. It soon disappeared.

But the shooting public still wanted a bigger version of the Contender so a few years ago Thompson Center came out with the Encore Rifle/Pistol. It handles the .30-06 class of cartridges and then some. They are available in 10 different chamberings from .223 to .300 Win. Mag. The Encore has received wide praise a number of writers in the gun trade magazines. Larry Weishund liked them so well he quit writing for a popular gun magazine and now is a sales rep for T/C.

If there is one drawback, they are kind of expensive, compared to the NEF/H&R line but well worth the money. Obviously the fit and finish is much better. The real value is in buying extra barrels and having a wide range of calibers but always using the same frame and trigger system. That results in familiarity and confidence in your shooting.

I hope this information helps you out. I just signed on the forum for the first time. I have been reading it for about a week now. I was informed about this forum by a friend on the Gunsandammomag.com forum. This looks pretty neat guys. Good shooting! Cliff

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have i T/C Encore 209X50 muzzleloader and also a 22-250 bull barrel. Both perform wonderfully! Would highly recomend buying and T/C products!

·
Registered
2 Posts
TCR's

Contender said:
I have not owned one of these rifles but have handled and shot one a number of years ago.

The rifles you ask about are the TCR 83 (Double set triggers) and TCR 87 (single trigger).

From what I remember, it was a very well made rifle and shot well. (Think it was a 30-06 if I remember correctly).

TC discontinued them due to poor sales/high price I believe. I don't think that there was any other reason for it like a shortcoming with them at all. Well made rifle. It's possible they came out at the wrong time for shooters desires. Heck, 20 years ago, you couldn't give away a levergun around here, now they are in high demand.

However, with the NEF Handi-Rifles selling so well, I'd wager that if TC came out with them again in a more reasonably priced version, they would sell well.

Regards
The TCR wasn't discontinued on purpose. In 1991 T/C had a fire at their plant and the tooling for the TCR's was destroyed. The decision was made not to retool due to the high cost/low return. The TCR is a switch barel gun with the fore end of the gun coming off like one on an over/under shotgun. Then, when you break the action open, the barrel just lifted off the hinge pin as an O/U does. It was avialable in many calibers and gauges. The set trigger on mine has less than a one ounce pull when set and about three puonds when not set. Being a well made(beautiful wood & blueing) single shot and priced accordingly, the TCR did not have runaway sales but rather appealed to the experianced shooter, sure of his ability, and enjoying a well made gun along with the added challenge of a single shot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
calibers available

kb0yuv Clifford said:
I used to own a Thompson Center Contender pistol about 25 years ago. Quality and accuracy was superb. 30 years ago all they made was the pistol so there a big pressure put on Thompson to make a carbine version of the Contender pistol. They eventually obliged with longer barrels and a shoulder stock. It is accurate and highly sought after. Unfortunately the frame was too small to handle modern day centerfire cartridges (like the .30-06) so they stuck with the .22 Hornet, 7mm Waters, .30-30 and .45-70.

In 1983 they came out with the TCR 83. It had a bigger, stronger action to handle the .30-06 type rounds but didn't go over big with the shooting public though it was a well made piece. I did not buy one because I did not like the safety on it. It soon disappeared.

But the shooting public still wanted a bigger version of the Contender so a few years ago Thompson Center came out with the Encore Rifle/Pistol. It handles the .30-06 class of cartridges and then some. They are available in 10 different chamberings from .223 to .300 Win. Mag. The Encore has received wide praise a number of writers in the gun trade magazines. Larry Weishund liked them so well he quit writing for a popular gun magazine and now is a sales rep for T/C.

If there is one drawback, they are kind of expensive, compared to the NEF/H&R line but well worth the money. Obviously the fit and finish is much better. The real value is in buying extra barrels and having a wide range of calibers but always using the same frame and trigger system. That results in familiarity and confidence in your shooting.

I hope this information helps you out. I just signed on the forum for the first time. I have been reading it for about a week now. I was informed about this forum by a friend on the Gunsandammomag.com forum. This looks pretty neat guys. Good shooting! Cliff
The 10 in the catalog are just the tip of the iceburg - If you look in the Fox Ridge catalog(Thompsons custom shop) I belive there are about 90 or so along with a whole buncha other shooter type goodies - great catalog to leave lying around with circled "hints" this time of the year

·
Banned
270 Posts
I just bought an Encore in 7mm-08 about a month ago. Love it! Did need an oversize hinge pin to get the kind of accuracy I expect, but I am picky. Shoots as good as rifles costing three times as much, and certainly better than I am capable of without a benchrest!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I have an Encore with barrels in .50 cal MZ and .22-250 Bull. Both shoot superb. A good gunsmith can hone the cast trigger sear nicely. The bellm spring kits and oversize pins are also inexpensive and improve accuracy.

My 22-250 is a tack driver and the muzzle loader is good as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I originally bought my T/C Encore in 45 cal muzzle loader. Since then I have added 4 barrels: .243, 7 mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, and 45/70. If you are inquiring about accuracy, it is on par with ANY rifle I have ever shot. I am picky about accuracy and only shoot handloads. Haven't bought a "store bought" round in over 30 years. I killed a pronghorn at 350 yds (by a rangefinder) with a 25+ mph crosswind. Most of the time I shoot my 7mm. The biggest positive I see is that "it's the same gun" all the time. The only suggestion would be a trigger job especially if you intend on shooting pistol barrels. Mine now breaks at 2# 4 oz. In case you are wondering I am a HUGE FAN of T/C.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
i've got a 15" 7/08 rem bbl, a heavy 26" 22/250 and a heavy 26" 25/06 bbl and they all shoot really well. i really like the stock design for offhand shooting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts