Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to look at a load's theoretical performance before I decide whether or not to use it. Can somebody tell me what the math is for Thorniley Stopping Power? I know that I can go to Beartooth's Ballistician's Corner and plug in the numbers, but I have very limited access to the net - just what the friendly gals here at the library will permit, about a half hour at a time.

DC

·
Banned
548 Posts
DMC, I do not know the math for the Thorniley.
But the Taylor knok out value is a very good cartridge comparison formula.

bullet dia. X bullet weight X muzzle velocity / 7000 gns.
.458 x 465 X 2300 fps / 7000 =69.975

this is a way to compare different cartridges that you know will work, to compare against cartridges you want to see if they will work.

Hope this helps,
Halfbreed

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I've played with the TKO and Lyman's OGW as well as Keith's LbFt. I think any of them give a truer picture than FPE. Was curious about Thorniley. It gives some weight to bullet diameter, but doesn't seem to give as much as Taylor's.

DC

·
Banned
12 Posts
DMC said:
Thanks for the reply. I've played with the TKO and Lyman's OGW as well as Keith's LbFt. I think any of them give a truer picture than FPE. Was curious about Thorniley. It gives some weight to bullet diameter, but doesn't seem to give as much as Taylor's.

DC
Hi DMC,

I was cruising over the old posts and I saw your question. I am curious also as to what the Thorniley formula is. I have ran some numbers through it and the formula appears to be the following.

=2.866*velocity[fps]*(bullet weight[grains]/7000)*SquareRoot(bullet diameter[in])

The square root of the bullet diameter explains why the Thorniley stopping power value does not weigh diameter as heavily as the Taylor formula does.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I have played with these formula for about fifty years now, first one and then the other. All are better that the standard ft/lbs/KE (which in itself is just a factor). Peter Thornily's has a lot going for it.
I give you another factor formula that I have developed, for you to play with, based on some things we have learned along the way. The others are based on a non-expanding bullet.....mine works both ways:
Maplat Area X Sectional Density X Velocity = Power Factor
Try it out!.........James

·
Registered
4 Posts
James Gates said:
I have played with these formula for about fifty years now, first one and then the other. All are better that the standard ft/lbs/KE (which in itself is just a factor). Peter Thornily's has a lot going for it.
I give you another factor formula that I have developed, for you to play with, based on some things we have learned along the way. The others are based on a non-expanding bullet.....mine works both ways:
Maplat Area X Sectional Density X Velocity = Power Factor
Try it out!.........James
James,

Haven't tried your formula yet, but it's interesting. What about bullets that have a very small Maplat area, e.g. pointed bullets? Since you are including Maplat area in your formula, does this imply that you're a hard-cast guy?

Brian

:p

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
No, I am not just a cast bullet fan, but I do believe in Meplat Area, whether on an expanded jacketed bullet or non-expanded on hard cast. Note I include expanded MA.
Since I first started playing with a comparison factor, I realized that Sectional Density should replace Weight.
Sectional Density X Meplat Area x Velocity = Factor.
This factor formula takes into consideration the expanded MA where the others do not.
When you are playing with Peter Thornily formula, etc.....remember that are for non-expanding solids!
The only problem is recovering expanded jacked bullets to measure the MA.....but it can be done with a little work and water soaked paper situated at various ranges. Here we really see the diference in velocity and MA on jacketed bullets at various ranges.
I have never been satisfied that the ft/lbs of energy was a real yardstick for comparing Lethal Potential of various loads. At best it is a potential. Bullet design governs MA.
Regards, James

·
Registered
1 Posts
A Thorniley Formula that matches the internet one

I'm pretty sure this one works.
TSP = G*V/10^5 (37*C + 100/9)
I've tried it on a large range of C=caliber in inches, G=bullet weight in grains,
and V=bullet velocity in feet per second.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
These calculations are nice, bur do not take into consideration the expansion of jacketed bullets.
Here's one that can be used to compare one bulet load to another!
Sectional Density x Meplat Area x Impact velocity.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Daggone, somehow I lost track of this thread. First, a very belated thank you to mrb 1618. :eek:

Mr. Gates - again, as usual, more food for thought.

DC

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Something to consider.....Sectiomal Density (ergo penetration) is based, in its calculation, on the length of the bullet vs weight and caliber. A jacketed bullet loses SD as it expands and is shortened.
A non-expanding bullet with a large Meplat Area does not lose SD.
Regards, James

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
An expanding bullet tosses in other variables:

How much does it expand? A bullet that expands to 2X its diameter winds up with a pretty anemic SD of 1/4 the SD of the same bullet that doesn't expand.

What medium will cause expansion? I have some bullets that are so stout that they will expand only in a very dense medium - flesh won't do it.

How much weight will the bullet shed on its trip? Jacket seperation, lead pieces breaking off, etc.

How quickly - at what depth - is expansion achieved?

Personally, I prefer a flat-nose, non-expanding bullet for almost all tasks.

DC

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I agree...with some reservation. I like the hard cast alloy bullet with a large Meplat Area for handguns and brush rifles between .357" and up.
In calibers below .357" .....such as my .30-06....I go with a jacketed bullet that has proven performance in game.
Just some thoughts....James

1 - 13 of 13 Posts