Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after visiting the thornily calculator on this site I was very disipointed when I found the .375 ruger to be "adequite" only for black bear, which did not seem right so I punched in the numbers for a .460 weatherby mag and apparantly wasnt enough gun for the largest african game listed. what gives.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
There are all kinds of formulae and charts used as a way of rating or comparing cartridges.
All of them are theoretical, and usually reflect the authors preference in cartridges: i.e. large bore over high velocity, or vice versa.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
after visiting the thornily calculator on this site I was very disipointed when I found the .375 ruger to be "adequite" only for black bear, which did not seem right so I punched in the numbers for a .460 weatherby mag and apparantly wasnt enough gun for the largest african game listed. what gives.

Game is not killed by numbers on paper

·
Registered
125 Posts
Nominal ballistics for the 375 Ruger: 270 grn bullet, .375 diameter, MV @ 2840 fps.
Punched in the numbers and came up with 192 rating good enough for lion, leopard, grizz and brown bear.

Enter a 300 grain bullet @ 2660 fps (hottest load for that weight I have) and you get a rating of 200.
150 is minimum for the above mentioned critters. 250 rating is minimum suggested for elephant, Cape buffalo, hippopotamus or WalMart shoppers.

Of course, you would have to rework the numbers at the appropriate downrange maximum distance but I doubt your PH would allow you to take a shot at any of these over 100 yards...unless you're shooting a 50 BMG.

For grins I did the 50 BMG and it comes up with a rating of......................601! That's figuring a 700 grn Barnes @ 2900 fps

The 700 Hubel Express 3.25" rates a 963.......1000 grn bullet @ 2600 fps!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nominal ballistics for the 375 Ruger: 270 grn bullet, .375 diameter, MV @ 2840 fps.
Punched in the numbers and came up with 192 rating good enough for lion, leopard, grizz and brown bear.

Enter a 300 grain bullet @ 2660 fps (hottest load for that weight I have) and you get a rating of 200.
150 is minimum for the above mentioned critters. 250 rating is minimum suggested for elephant, Cape buffalo, hippopotamus or WalMart shoppers.

Of course, you would have to rework the numbers at the appropriate downrange maximum distance but I doubt your PH would allow you to take a shot at any of these over 100 yards...unless you're shooting a 50 BMG.

For grins I did the 50 BMG and it comes up with a rating of......................601! That's figuring a 700 grn Barnes @ 2900 fps

The 700 Hubel Express 3.25" rates a 963.......1000 grn bullet @ 2600 fps!
yep I just punched in the numbers again and apparantly if you dont use a decimal in the bullet diamater the numbers come out differently. my mistake:rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts