Shooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a couple days ago i put a model 7 on layaway. it appears to have been made in 1993, it's a youth model that is chambered in 7/08. the stock is rather beat up and the pad is hard to describe... i've never seen one contoured quite like it but the bore looks really good and the bluing is quite good so i know that it has had some care.
i hate to admit it but in '93 i wasn't nearly as into rifles as i am now and don't know much about the remingtons of that era. i don't come across that many model 7's on the used rack, in fact this is only the second in over 5 years, so i didn't want to let it get away.
i think that it would be a dandy to rebarrel to 250 savage... it has a nice feel to it... any thoughts?

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,196 Posts
My thoughts would be to leave it in 7-08 chambering. No moss growing on that cartridge.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I have one model 7...actually the 673 in 350 rem mag. I've short stroked my 700 BDL when hunting, but never my 673. W/ a 22" barrel, it's a tidy package.

The only thing I dislike is that the magazine often shifts a bit when I'm putting the receiver back into the stock. Then it doesn't feed correctly. I have to watch this closely.

I also replaced the trigger w/ a rifle bassix unit.

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i agree with you about the 7/08 cartridge, it's one of my favorites but i think that the model 7 is the perfect size for a light little 250. i have an action wrench and bbl. vise so it'd see use with both cartridges... i do that with my long action 700...

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,101 Posts
.250 Sav is a great little number and won't beat you up in that gun. Good choice for the novice and expert alike.

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i've wanted a 250 for quite some time but in my mind it ought to come in a scaled down package like the model 7... i looked at a 250 in a model 14 classic and while it was a very nice rifle i just felt that it was oversized... i've gotta admit that those savage rifles have really come a long ways, the blueing was perfect, great stock & fitting... i remember how i used to rant about then being ugly and looking thrown together but it looks like those days are over!

·
Registered
613 Posts
I have a stainless synthetic Mod 7 in 7mm-08 and I wouldn't part with it for all the tea in China . I've been hunting with it for at least a dozen years and shot 7 bucks and 1 doe with it , all one shot kills . Are you a youth or do you need to change the stock , S&K has a beauty for it , at a very reasonable price . Before you start tearing that gun up , shoot it . The reason I say that is because the 7mm-08 is a way better cartridge than the .250 Sav. IMO . There is absolutely nothing that the .250 can do that the 7mm-08 can't do better . Don't get me wrong , I like the .250 But when compared to the 7mm-08 it comes up short all the way across the board .

·
Banned
17 Posts
The .250 Savage, .257 Roberts and 7mm-08 Rem are all great cartridges for beginners. The 7mm, with 120gr bullets, recoil is almost non-exsistent and is enough for any deer that walks. No magnum needed for deer right ?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have a Model 7 stainless in 7mm-08. For practice I go Pennsylvania groundhog hunting with it. My longest kill to date is a measured 215 yard shot. I have no problem hitting a Whitetail within normal hunting distance with the rifle. I have only shot at one deer with it. The buck dropped like a ton of bricks. My Model 7 is my go to gun and the 7-08 is a great caliber. The rifle is light, and is easy to move around the woods and up a tree stand with the length. I would not change the caliber before you go shoot it. If and when I re-barrel mine it will be with another 7-08 barrel. As to the "beginner" gun comment, I call it the "meat on the table gun".

Is it a 18 or 20 inch barrel? The 18 inch are hard to find.

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i love the 7/08 cartridge, i use it in my encore pistol and agree with all that has been said in this thread about its merits... i just think that it'd be a neat little project rifle as i've wanted a 250 for quite a while.
as to the youth aspect of this particular rifle, no i am not a youth( tho i do tend to act like one) i'm 41, 6'5" and a surprisingly lean 320lbs so no i don't need the youth length... i bought the rifle with the intentions of restocking it at the very least, the 250 barrel would just be another barrel or option, however you want to look at it, as i have no intentions of throwing the 7/08 bbl. away. i intend to set the rifle up as a switch barrel rig... as i've stated before i did that with my long action 700 and really like how it has worked out.

as to the barrel length the sales tag on the gun says 20" but i haven't measured it...

·
Registered
264 Posts
The 250-300 should fit nicely in the Model 7. I have been very happy with the Model 7. I have friends that have one and no one wants to sell theirs. Please let us know how the project works out. You may start a trend....

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had a Model 7 youth gun in 7-08 purchased new in Dec.1993. It shot outstanding. Would consistantly touch 3 shots at 100 yds with both factory 140 loads and handloads. It was my late season whitetail rifle for when you had heavy clothing on. The short length of pull against a heavy coat just seemed to fit right. Had a Beech, Birch, Sycamore, Alder? stock that was chubby but thinned down easily as there was no checkering to worry about. A shot of walnut stain and a dozen coats of Birchwood Krazy and it was set to go. I remember the price, $222 out the door new in box! It will make an excellent .250 (friends have done just that on Model Sevens) but please, try it in it's current chambering first, you might go looking for another one to rebarrel.

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
chg, as near as i can tell that is the approximate age of mine as well. the year code on the barrel is an "N"... i'm definately going to shoot it as a 7/08 but i'm also going to definately set up a second barrel for the 250.
this little number has definately spent some time on the mountain! the stock shows a lot of use... possibly as a club or a hammer, but as i said the blueing and bore are perfect.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.