Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking about having a 50-110 winchester built on a browning 71 or 1886 Looking for ideas and opinions on the cartridge and rifle. Wanted a short handy rifle to carry horseback any ideas welcome

Quisto56

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
50-110

Well from what I have gathered you can get 2200-2300 up with a bullet of close to 500 grains dont quote me I am taking this from a memory that aint too good from a 22 inch barrel By a short handy rifle I mean with a 22 inch barrel I think this is better than the 50 alaskan in any event I am looking for information so I will know before I get too far along. So any information would be helpful. Looking for something for the big stuff as I may go to go to alaska in a few years otherwise it will be bigger than I need but a 30/30 will kill anything its just that its a 50

Quisto56

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Quisto56,
I was just curious as to the performance that could be expected. I have the Hanloaders Cartridge Conversion book that lists these things. I'll take a look at it after dinner and see what it says about the velocity of the various 50's. The numbers you posted are in excess of what the .458 WinMag will do, that wouldn't feel too good out of a short, light rifle. But it's your shoulder and it would be a neat rifle! :)

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
I have to agree with kciH about the recoil. However, it does sound like a neat project. I think there's a riflesmith by the name of David Clay that converts the 1886's to 50-110. I have no idea what his prices are, but the ones I've seen pictures of all wore muzzlebrakes. I bet there's a reason for that, too. I have been waiting for Winchester to bring the 1886 back out in the 50-110 chambering. I'd sure like to have one.

Don't let Alaska cause you to do something you don't want to do. A stout 45/70 with proper loads, either the newer 1886's or the Marlin 1895, is more than adequate for the big bears. I would feel perfectly at ease with the M71's original chambering in 348 Win. Another rifle to consider is Winchester's M1895 in 405 Win or send to Z-Hat for one of his Hawk conversions. I've been working with 411 Hawk in a Winchester 1895. Here's a thread on it.
http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=5868

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,223 Posts
Sounds painful. At least you can get brass from Starline. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
50-110

I did a little checking and it is possible to get 2200 fps with a 525 grain bullet This is more than it would take and I would probably not use a steady diet of these but my thinking was a 50 caliber would have more killing power at the same velocity or the effect on game would be more aparrent. I have been told this but dont know if it would be notisable. I really like the 348 winchester and have made shots arround 200 yards on deer but shells are had to get and if I had to reform 50-110 starline brass to 348 I might as well just get a 50-110 . besides I need a excuse to get another rifle . I dont like the look of muzzle breaks and think they look out of place on a lever action . I like the 86 in 45/70 but the idea of the 50 is growing Thanks for the ideas and would appreciate any more you guys might have

Quisto56

·
Banned
126 Posts
Quisto56 said:
I did a little checking and it is possible to get 2200 fps with a 525 grain bullet This is more than it would take and I would probably not use a steady diet of these but my thinking was a 50 caliber would have more killing power at the same velocity or the effect on game would be more aparrent. I have been told this but dont know if it would be notisable. I really like the 348 winchester and have made shots arround 200 yards on deer but shells are had to get and if I had to reform 50-110 starline brass to 348 I might as well just get a 50-110 . besides I need a excuse to get another rifle . I dont like the look of muzzle breaks and think they look out of place on a lever action . I like the 86 in 45/70 but the idea of the 50 is growing Thanks for the ideas and would appreciate any more you guys might have

Quisto56
I have a few 1886/71's, including a Brownchester in .450 Alaskan which weigh 8#. It will put a 400 gr. bullet out of the 25" barrel at 2,200 fps, and that is about all the fun I wish to enjoy. I also have some .50 Alaskan cartridges. I can see where the extra 50 gr. of lead and 0.050" might make a difference with acceptable recoil at 2,000 fps. But, that must be near the upper reaches of tolerance for me. The .50-110 (.50-100) fired a 450 gr. at about 1,800 fps in its day and now you are approaching a .500 Nitro with recoil and a lighter rifle. I would worry about stock design on the 1886 and give consideration why the gunsmith is putting muzzle breaks on his rifles. I have lost enough hearing. I guess that if something needs more killing that that .50 Alaskan will handle, I need to shoot better -- or run faster!

dclark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts