Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many times in this Forum I have read statements from guys I respect who suggest using .432 Beartooth Bullets in 44 Mag Ruger revolvers.

I had the cylinder throats of my SBH opened enough to match the largest of the six holes as they came from Ruger. That brought them all up to .431.

THE QUESTION - If the throats are .431 or smaller, is there any point in using a .432? Don't the bullets swage down to the throat size before entering the forcing cone?

Dave

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Dave,
I'm sure you already know this, but you take into consideration the barrel dimensions as well. It sounds like what you have done will enhance the accuracy and consistency of your loads as is. If your throats are .431, you could well have good results with bullets that are sized .431. The reccomendation for the larger bullets errs to the side making sure you're in the clear on this. If your bullets are slightly larger than throat diameter you won't have to worry about the bullets "bumping up" or obturating to get a good gas seal in the throats, which can be questionable with very hard bullets unless absolute max pressures are used. I believe the .432 reccomendation is based on the dimensions commonly seen on the revolvers, information for people who don't want to go to the trouble of slugging the cylinders and barrel. If your throats are .431, you may well get best performance with a bullets that is .432.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,021 Posts
Sound advice, Dave -

If shooting lead cast bullets, it's always best to go one thousandths larger than bore. Jacketed bullets would be ok to go with bore dimensions.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My first BTB order was for .431. They worked very well, but I am ordering more now and I will take your advice and ask Marshall to make this batch .432. It is such a small difference, but I will run them through the Chrony just to see.

Thanks for the advice.

Dave

·
Beartooth Regular
2,160 Posts
I'm no cast bullet expert, nor am I an extremely proficient handgunner, but I think you will be satisfied with the .432 bullets. Beartooth 265gr WFN's, sized .432, shot better than anything else in my old Super Blackhawk. And no, I'm not on Marshall's payroll!;)

·
Registered
639 Posts
A bullet that offers more resistance as it enters the throat will help powders like H110 or W296 burn more efficiently- a heavy crimp will only do so much. This is only a factor with that type of powder with heavy bullets and heavy loads.
In my Rugers I size my bullets to .430 and the pistols seem to like 'em. The thing to do is experiment and see what your pistols prefer. Bullets that are under bore size probably won't work well and bullets that are much over throat size will just get swaged down (unless you're trying for more resistance as it enters the throat), anything in between is fair game for experimentation as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
What powder are YOU using, ID? I have about given up for now and have gone back to jacketed for this season but I will be back at it in January because my SBH and 1894 desearve a steady diet of lead.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,160 Posts
Chief,
I've been getting excellent results from Accurate No.5. I'm not really hot-rodding these loads; I'm only trying to get about 1100-1200 fps, and 12gr of AA5 is right in that range. It got just over 1100 in the 4 5/8" SBH, and almost 1200 in my 6" 629. The great thing is, extreme spreads are in the neighborhood of 5-8 fps, SD is 2-3 fps, so it is highly consistent. The only other powder I've tried is 2400, which gave decent velocity but less consistency and accuracy. The way I shoot a handgun, I need all the help I can get with accuracy! :p

BTW, I've been getting great results with AA5 and cast bullets in my 30 caliber rifles, too.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,160 Posts
Here is a pic of a couple of groups fired at 100yds with 170 gr cast bullets (Lyman 31142) and AA5. This is from my 30-06. I had a pic or two of some groups fired with the SBH, but I must have deleted them when I sold that gun. Oh well!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
AA5? Just have not thought of that direction. It is probably pretty close to the Blue Dot in burn rate. I have not started casting yet either so that would be a whole other thing.

Thanks ID

1 - 10 of 10 Posts