Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tis the season for ticks again in this part of the country. Just wondering what other folks use to control ticks on there hunting dogs. I tried K9advantix last year on my young lab. It seemed to kill ticks, but only after they were embedded in her. Is this the way that stuff is supposed to work? Frontline plus also advertises alot. What are your experiences with controling ticks on your dogs? Thanks!:)

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
They can't be strong enough to repel ticks and last for months, so they use the chemical that spreads by sweat on the skin to kill them.

·
Banned
33 Posts
My Lab wears a cattle insecticide ear tag on his collar. He isn't bothered with ticks. I wear dog flea collars around the ankle part of my work boots. Seems to help. Now if I could do something about those darn chiggroes!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
last year i bought "zodiac" brand flea/tick collar for my two hunting dogs. everyone told me collars would not work. anyway i don't remember finding a single live tick or flea on my dogs, and i spend a lot of time training in the field, during the spring and summer.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
KT-29......I can give you a couple of suggestions that we do at our kennel ok! Now first of all, we place Cedar Shavings in all of the dog houses in the kennel. We also put down "cedar shavings" on the floor too, been doing so for over 6 years now and NO FLEAS OR TICKS, it also keeps the flies down by as much as 60% compared to using just small rock in the kennel.

Now we purchase the HARTZ Flea & Tick collars, that are advertized for 7 months useage on your dog. I take one collar and cut off the plastic buckel and then cut the collar in 1/2. placing both halfs together underneath the dogs 1-inch nylon collar. We tape this collar with electricians tape in 3 places at least 5 wrapes each.

We NEVER dip our dogs for fleas, know a man who lost a dog doing this process. I never shampoo with flea or tick shampoo either. We use regular puppy shampoo only on even the adult dogs. We raise some of the finest bred German Shorthair Pointers in the USA and now have 15 dogs in our kennel. They are all sons and daughters of various "national field trial champions" We bred the best to the best and pray for the best to happen......Amen!

·
Banned
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
KT-29......I can give you a couple of suggestions that we do at our kennel ok! Now first of all, we place Cedar Shavings in all of the dog houses in the kennel. We also put down "cedar shavings" on the floor too, been doing so for over 6 years now and NO FLEAS OR TICKS, it also keeps the flies down by as much as 60% compared to using just small rock in the kennel.

Now we purchase the HARTZ Flea & Tick collars, that are advertized for 7 months useage on your dog. I take one collar and cut off the plastic buckel and then cut the collar in 1/2. placing both halfs together underneath the dogs 1-inch nylon collar. We tape this collar with electricians tape in 3 places at least 5 wrapes each.

We NEVER dip our dogs for fleas, know a man who lost a dog doing this process. I never shampoo with flea or tick shampoo either. We use regular puppy shampoo only on even the adult dogs. We raise some of the finest bred German Shorthair Pointers in the USA and now have 15 dogs in our kennel. They are all sons and daughters of various "national field trial champions" We bred the best to the best and pray for the best to happen......Amen!
Tracer--Thank you for the suggestions. They are very good ones. I do like your modified flea and tick collar suggestion very much and will be trying it. Thanks--KT:)

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Head and Shoulders will kill fleas on contact. Get one with pyrithone zinc. Never had a problem with ticks but it will probably kill them too. K9 Advanitx Plus has worked for me on fleas.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
For the 7 years we've had the male, and the 2 we've had the female, we've been applying the Frontline products.

We've seen that it works well in the wilds of NH, but rest assured it does not keep them from biting....they just die when they do get on the dog. I have yet to have a tick get into either dog's ears, most get on or under the body.

The stuff is like an oil, that comes in a vial, and is applied to the back of the dog's neck. It is absorbed and spreads over the dog. It's applied at the first of every month, same time thay get the Heartguard for the ringworm prevention.

*attached link is not for advertizing, just to inform you of the product. Also, it can surely be found cheaper online. If you need those places, PM me.

·
Banned
33 Posts
Three years ago, during the height of the drought...it was tick central here. My remedy was to sprinkle just a dash of garlic powder on their food. They like the flavor, and eat it readily. Just don't overdo it. It only takes a little, and too much garlic can cause gastric problems and other serious issues. Adjust according to the size/weight of the dog. 2-3 times a week will maintain a theraputic level, and not only will ticks not attach, fleas and mosquitoes don't hang around long.

Use it as a supplement to Frontline and K-9 Advantix...not as a sunstitute. There are always some that will bite in spite of it, depending on the conditions and how badly they need the blood...but under normal circumstances, it's extremely effective.

The best method is to mix up a dash with canned food, along with a little water to help cover it evenly, but can be applied to dry food as long as it's well dispersed by blending or tumbling. Again...adjust according to the amount of food in the feeder or bowl. I have 17 dogs of all shapes and sizes and breeds. Last year, I didn't get to the bottom of a 4.25-ounce jar of garlic powder, and I didn't see a single tick on any of the dogs.

Use old nylon stockings to hang fresh cloves of garlic in the kennels to keep flies and mosquitoes in check. Just be sure that the dogs can't get to it. If they eat whole cloves, they can poison themselves. Replace as the cloves dry out.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Until about a year ago, it used to state right on the can that Sevin Garden Dust (5% carbaryl) was good for dogs for flea and tick control. (Not cats, because they lick themselves all over in grooming). I have used it on my dogs since I was a young kid, and it works great. When I take the dogs hunting, I fluff up the fur on the back of their neck and the base of the tail with about 1/2 a teaspoon of this stuff, and there is NEVER a tick on them. It falls off in their bedding and kills whatever is in there too. I use it once a month on them otherwise, and they sometimes get a flea or two towards the end of the time span, but only in the spring and summer. I could probably get it down to about zero if I used it every two weeks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
my uncle is a vet.he says to kill fleas with rubbing alcohol from a spray bottle.and when a tick latches on really good to pour it on the tick.this will make it let go so it can be removed easy.and that Frontline work great for me that he gives me to use.hope this helps out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts