Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started reloading and made up my first 50 rounds using lee products for my .308 ruger and my groups went from 3in. with federal premmium ammo to an 1.5 with the reloads. needless to say I am very happy considering a few days ago I had never even seen a reloading setup.:D

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
I would be very happy too anytime this was the results of my reloading efforts. Reloading is a great hobby and I'm still learning after 45 years of doing it. Best wishes.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Good for you and welcome to our addictive hobby. It doesn't always work out as well as what you described. I went to the range today for the first time in two months to try a new load for my 223. I took another load that I knew was good so I could see how I was shooting after a long dry spell. I was doing pretty good with the proven load, 10-shot groups well under an inch at 100 yards. But ... today I discovered yet another load that doesn't do well in my 223. So it's back to the drawing board with this new bullet.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
There are many reasons to reload, and aside from the relaxation it affords, you discovered my favorite! It is incredibly rewarding to spend an hour or two making something that is twice as good as the "premium" stuff you pay twice as much for, at a store. It doesn't matter if it's handloaded ammo, a fishing rod, book case or bird house, when you can make it better yourself, for less, the reward is many times greater!

The bonus of being able to stock up on the components of that recipe and have something your gun will likely shoot well for decades, as factory ammo comes n' goes, makes it even sweeter.

·
Super Moderator
13,436 Posts
Two points: one is that it often pays accuracy dividends to have a good systematic approach to finding the best load for your gun. The one Dan Newberry uses is one that I like and have had positive feedback about after recommending it to others. You can read through his pages, here.

Another that was made in the Precision Shooting Reloading Guide is that if your gun's bedding or inletting in your stock is bad, the crown is imperfectly symmetrical, or the bolts lugs are in bad need of lapping, the best ammo in the world won't make it shoot to its potential. So, if you get to best accuracy in your gun and find you want better, consider looking at those elements.

·
Banned
415 Posts
It's a great feeling when your handloaded ammo outshoots the factory ammo you are using for a baseline. Sometimes it goes the other way and you have a Devil of a time duplicating the Factory rounds. Don't lose heart or let it discourage you. Some rifles are harder to beat into submission than others, but your load is out there somewhere just waiting to be discovered. Welcome to a rewarding pastime.
Thanks for that...still trying to find something half reasonable in my .223!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts