Shooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
I have a Ithaca LSA 65 that I bought in the late 70's or early 80's, it is a 30/06 that shoots very well from most any position but not so well from the bench.
I believe it is made by Tikka though not sure, what I do know is that it was a dream to use on moving game,the balance is incredible.
We no longer can hunt deer with dogs so running shots are not so important. I use 1 of 2 Savages or a Marlin as my primary hunting rifles now although the Marlin is quiet the moving game rifle in it's own right!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have to agree with used....nowadays most guns have hardly been shot at all! And...buying new does not guarantee avoiding problems. I used to buy new guns and cars....no longer. Carefully inspect on the used market....you don't want a discard...and they do exist...but if you are careful you get can much better value for your dollar.
I really like the recent Savage and Ruger rifles I have purchased. They have been very accurate and trouble free. I am a fan of the "accu-trigger" which both employ now. I have two Ruger Amarican rifles which are tack drivers...one new and the other used. I think these guns are real sleepers for the money!
I also like buying American when I can...

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a Tikka 243 that is the most accurate gun I own. I can shoot under 1/2 in groups with it so it is probably better than that. My second most accurate is a Sako A7 in 270, next is my Savage 30-06 and my Browning 338 about equal t 1 in. My marlins in 30-30, .35, and 45-70 are next at about 1 1/2 in and last is my Rem 700 in 270 that will shoot 2 shots in about 2 in. then it starts to walk and moves about 8 in. by the fifth shot. Then next day the first 2 are again back where the first 2 were the day before. I may fix the rem 270 by installing a 35 Whelen Barrel.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sako 85 Varmint ? nice kit, Savage #12 Varmint pick your calibre, both great shooters.

I have both Sako and Tikka among several others Rem, Anschutz, CZ, TC, the Tikka is left a bit wanting in the looks stakes but they shoot just fine, mine is a stainless Hunter in .222 rem light, stainless has an advantage over any blue gun, seriously great fun to shoot, goes where pointed, what more is required, cheaper too.

The Right hand bolt left hand feed Savage 12V is worth a good second look, check out YouTube on the Savage in 22:250 and 204, 220 swift perhaps for a screamer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I must agree with babaoriey

Try the Thompson Center Arms Venture line, at least pick one up and handle it. I have 3 and right out of the box they shoot really well. I have a 300 win mag and the first three shots out of it created one hole at 100 yards, I kept the target. I also have 2 7mm mags that shoot under an inch at 100. All guns are pretty good right now so choose the one that FITS you the best.

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you guys were in the market for a new, factory (non-custom) varmint/predator rifle. Would you buy a tikka, savage or another rifle. Looking for a good value, accurate, and reliable rifle. What are your opinions? Many thanks!!
I am not stuck on any brand. I have quite a few rifles, they all shoot good. I just bought a Remington Model 783 in 30-06 cal. Don't laugh yet. The other "economy grade" offers they have come out with were a disgrace to the name, but I think they may have something here. No, the bolt is not as smooth as it could be, but it opens and closes, and it IS way smoother than the 770 I looked at a while back. I've only shot 4 rounds of Hornady American White Tail 150gr. The first two were within an inch of each other. Adjusted the scope,and the next two went where they aimed. I was impressed with the recoil pad in particular.(SuperCell). I don't have as much "meat" on my shoulder as I used to have, and I can get "recoil sensitive" . This is a very light weight rifle for 30-06, and I didn't know if I would be able to manage the recoil or not. Well, only 4 rounds off the bench bag is not conclusive, but I was amazed at how little the "perceived" recoil was. It IS an ECONOMY rifle($379 minus $30MIR), and it's not as nice as the others listed, but I think it is "a good value, accurate, and reliable" rifle. Time will tell. If nothing else, it'll make a real good "truck gun". Good luck, and good shootin.

·
Registered
155 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
What I am doing right now is buying an old Remington 700 ADL short action and installing an after market barrel. I'll free float the barrel and glass bed the action. I'll lap the inside of the barrel and apply a Brownell's bake on finish on the exterior. I'll refinish the stock with a hand rubbed mineral oil finish. I won't bother with checkering as it is too much effort for the benefit.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I am not stuck on any brand. I have quite a few rifles, they all shoot good. I just bought a Remington Model 783 in 30-06 cal. Don't laugh yet. The other "economy grade" offers they have come out with were a disgrace to the name, but I think they may have something here. No, the bolt is not as smooth as it could be, but it opens and closes, and it IS way smoother than the 770 I looked at a while back. I've only shot 4 rounds of Hornady American White Tail 150gr. The first two were within an inch of each other. Adjusted the scope,and the next two went where they aimed. I was impressed with the recoil pad in particular.(SuperCell). I don't have as much "meat" on my shoulder as I used to have, and I can get "recoil sensitive" . This is a very light weight rifle for 30-06, and I didn't know if I would be able to manage the recoil or not. Well, only 4 rounds off the bench bag is not conclusive, but I was amazed at how little the "perceived" recoil was. It IS an ECONOMY rifle($379 minus $30MIR), and it's not as nice as the others listed, but I think it is "a good value, accurate, and reliable" rifle. Time will tell. If nothing else, it'll make a real good "truck gun". Good luck, and good shootin.
I'm not laughing. My friend just bought one at walmart for under $400 and it is close to an MOA gun. For the money you can't beat that.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Varmint, or predator ?
AR15 from Windom Weaponry in Maine.
The original Bushmaster people.
( based on my experience I would avoid the current B-master builders)

Why AR15 ?
Varmints aways come in packs.
M-

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.