Shooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying Tikka T1x MTR .22 LR rifle for target shooting at 100 meter ranges and small matchups. Am I better off with a 16" or 20" barrel? What are the pros and cons of both? Your wisdom would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
I personally don't believe the barrel length will make any difference accuracy wise. I've owned some very fine shooting .22 rimfires with short barrels and some with longer barrels. One of my best was a 16"bbl with a bloop tube on it that made it look longer but didn't do a thing shoot wise. I think I'd just pick which one you like best and go with it. If you get a high quality barrel, regardless of length, your challenge will be to find the ammo your gun likes best. I'd suggest you get a good variety of std. vel. target ammo and prepare to spend some time at the bench shooting groups to see which one performs best in your gun. That if far more critical than barrel length. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
Like nsb says I don't believe it matters much, if you don't plan on buying a suppressor for it I'd go for the longer barrel just because of the extra weight.
I have 4 friends as well as myself that have the 16" guns, they all group very good.

These are 50yd groups but I've shot it off the bench at 100m and it easily groups under an inch with mid range ammunition and I'm not shooting 20 five shot groups and cherry picking the one good one, if the ammunition looks promising I shoot a couple of 10 shot groups.

Here's mine with the tan pistol grip,recoil pad for extra length, silencerco suppressor and DIP magazine base. It's my favorite practice gun for silhouette.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aha, you just said something important. I do plan on buying a suppressor.

Thanks for sharing your expertise. I didn't mention that I will be buying a suppressor for it.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
Then I would definitely go with the 16" barrel, I have quite a few 22 suppressors, the Silencerco Warlock 2 would be a good choice. It's super light at 3.5oz and beats or ties all the other 22 suppressors in db tests.
It's actually made better than the original Warlock and less expensive at around 250. I like them so much I bought two.:D
Silencershop has them for 244. but there backordered there and just about everywhere else, I had to wait for both of mine to be made before waiting for the batf stamp.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Anything over 16 inches slows the bullet down. Accuracy is the same on any length and is determined 99% by the last inch of the barrel before it leaves the muzzle. Took me 30 years to figure that out.... I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer at times but testing has proved it over and over to me......

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Anything over 16 inches slows the bullet down. Accuracy is the same on any length and is determined 99% by the last inch of the barrel before it leaves the muzzle. Took me 30 years to figure that out.... I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer at times but testing has proved it over and over to me......
I've read that "myth" before and found it to be bovine excrement. My Oehler 35P chronograph does one thing, and it doesn't lie, it records velocity:

I've shot .22 rimfire barrels from 4-inch length (pistols) to rifles with 27-inch barrels and as the barrel lengths get longer, the velocity does indeed INCREASE, and the chronograph proves it.
Now, when you get past 24-inch barrel lengths, which most all of the .22 rimfire ammunition manufacturers use to record box and advertised velocities, the increase is not all that huge, but it surely does increase a bit more and the bullet does not slow down.
All of the .22 rimfire manufactures that I contacted at that time were using barrel lengths of 26-inches, but are now only using 24-inch barrels on actual rifles or test barrel set-ups. Why? Because the difference in going from 24-inches to 26-inches is not enough to warrant the longer barrels.

As far as accuracy being the same on ANY LENGTH barrel. :eek: I've found that to not be true also. If that were the case, accuracy using a 4-inch pistol barrel would be the same as that of a 24-inch rifle barrel, but its not. A four inch barrel does not take advantage of the 1:16 rifling twist for free flight stability because the bullet is only getting to use 25% of that twist rate.
When I test .22 Ruger Mark pistols for accuracy I use this contraption to do that:

This Ransom Rest removes all of the human influence involved with group shooting. Not one of the 4-inch pistols barrels on the Ruger Mark pistols shot the tight groups, using the same brand of .22 rimfire ammunition that the two Ruger Mark II 10-inch barreled pistols produced:

So, why would that be? Because the longer barrels provide more time involved with contacting the rate of twist and therefore receive much better free flight stability than a bullet involved with a shorter barrel with the same rate of twist and the same ammunition.

·
Registered
356 Posts
LOL What does a 4 inch barrel have to do with a 16 inch barrel? I hope nobody thought I meant that there's no increase from a 4 inch to a 16 inch. The velocity gain from 16 forward has been proven from many tests by professional companies to be almost insignificant to a point its worthless to have a 22 LR barrel any longer other than for cosmetics. The powder has burned that pressure dropping so quickly that the increase might be 2% or so. To me that's nothing to consider. I can't imagine anyone thinking I was comparing accuracy to a 4 inch barrel. Especially not a pistol. Target barrels on rifles from 16 inches or more are all 99% defendant on the quality of the barrel and not the length. If anyone thinks getting a longer barrel is going to make a difference in groups they're just fooling themselves and there are so many variables more important than that it would be the last thing I would consider right after I consider sprinkling magic pixie dust over it. All of my best barrels over the years were about 18 inchs in length. Some more some less. But just being short didn't make them shoot better. They were simply good barrels and would have shot just as well in any length. I still stand by my claims.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
You are correct that velocity doesn't increase much on 22 long rifle much past 16" but a sgw said it's a myth that they slow down. One thing for certain is standard deviations of velocities go down especially with target ammunition, most sporter target rifles have at least a 20" barrel.
I did a good bit of research on the subject a few years back before cutting back and threading the barrels on my Sako quad, 19" is about the minimum for most rimfires including the 22 long rifle.
Just a fyi, most Anschutz benchrest 22's come with 26" barrels, I doubt that's done for no reason.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
LOL What does a 4 inch barrel have to do with a 16 inch barrel? I hope nobody thought I meant that there's no increase from a 4 inch to a 16 inch. The velocity gain from 16 forward has been proven from many tests by professional companies to be almost insignificant to a point its worthless to have a 22 LR barrel any longer other than for cosmetics. The powder has burned that pressure dropping so quickly that the increase might be 2% or so. To me that's nothing to consider. I can't imagine anyone thinking I was comparing accuracy to a 4 inch barrel. Especially not a pistol. Target barrels on rifles from 16 inches or more are all 99% defendant on the quality of the barrel and not the length. If anyone thinks getting a longer barrel is going to make a difference in groups they're just fooling themselves and there are so many variables more important than that it would be the last thing I would consider right after I consider sprinkling magic pixie dust over it. All of my best barrels over the years were about 18 inchs in length. Some more some less. But just being short didn't make them shoot better. They were simply good barrels and would have shot just as well in any length. I still stand by my claims.
Then why, "pray tell", do .22 rimfire ammunition producers use 24-inch barrels, and NOT 16-inch barrels to achieve and record their published and box velocities? My chronograph disagrees with you. This is just one batch of actual printouts from my testing. Do you have any printouts of velocities from your testing? I'm always willing to learn more about .22 rimfire ammunition, but I'd sure like to actually see proof of any claims:

As one can see from these printouts, velocities do increase with semi-auto and fixed breech pistol barrel lengths. The 10-inch Rugers were much more accurate than the shorter barrels Ruger barrels also.

You posted that the "accuracy" is the same on any length: QUOTE; "Accuracy is the same on any length and is determined 99% by the last inch of the barrel before it leaves the muzzle." [COLOR="red" All of my testing over the last 3½ decades proves differently that what you claim to have found. But, here again, I would love to see any proof of what you post. I learn new stuff almost every day. :D

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
You are correct that velocity doesn't increase much on 22 long rifle much past 16" but a sgw said it's a myth that they slow down. One thing for certain is standard deviations of velocities go down especially with target ammunition, most sporter target rifles have at least a 20" barrel.
I did a good bit of research on the subject a few years back before cutting back and threading the barrels on my Sako quad, 19" is about the minimum for most rimfires including the 22 long rifle.
Just a fyi, most Anschutz benchrest 22's come with 26" barrels, I doubt that's done for no reason.
I rather doubt that Anschutz is frivolous with barrel steel myself, nor is CZ with the 26-inch barrels they supply on a few versions.
I still have a Winchester 67A .22 that I received for my 12th birthday. It has a 27-inch factory provided barrel. It's uncanny how this rifle shoots .22 rimfire ammunition in any brand it's fed to published and box marked velocities:

With the right .22 rimfire ammunition, this rifle shoots some very tight groups for its age.

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
I am considering buying Tikka T1x MTR .22 LR rifle for target shooting at 100 meter ranges and small matchups. Am I better off with a 16" or 20" barrel? What are the pros and cons of both?
Velocity aside, I find I shoot better with a heavier rifle or handgun.

I like to attend offhand shoots for .22 RF, and I do the best with either my 77/22 VBZ with a Shilen Varmint weight barrel or my Savage MHII BV, which weigh in at about 8lbs with scope.

It's not so much a matter of barrel length as mass and balance.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Velocity aside, I find I shoot better with a heavier rifle or handgun.

I like to attend offhand shoots for .22 RF, and I do the best with either my 77/22 VBZ with a Shilen Varmint weight barrel or my Savage MHII BV, which weigh in at about 8lbs with scope.

It's not so much a matter of barrel length as mass and balance.
I have a **NEW** Savage Mark II BV .22 LR on the way. Should be here June 2nd. Scope is waiting to be mounted as soon as it arrives.

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
I have a **NEW** Savage Mark II BV .22 LR on the way. Should be here June 2nd. Scope is waiting to be mounted as soon as it arrives.
Tomorrow is your day :)

I actually purchased my BV just to see if all of the Savage fans raving about their .22's were pulling my leg. They were right. Initially I had installed a Nikon 3X-9X with a drop compensation reticle, too heavy, and went with a 2X-7X Nikon. The weight with a sling and ready for the woods is a bit more than 8lbs. I bumped off quite a few foxes at 75+ yds using Aguila Interceptor.

It did need a few rounds to achieve peak accuracy, with a JB paste clean between trips, (maybe about 300-400 rounds), and it does have distinct ammo preferences, but it's nearly as accurate as far more expensive rifles with "good ammunition". My favorites in this rifle are Aguila Target and Match, Eley Club and Target, as standard velocity ammo goes. It also does real well with the Aguila HS HP/Solid, Federal HS Match, and most any of the CCI products.

The only minor bug is the magazines, which work the best when you tighten them up by peening the stamped "rivets", (can't think of a better description).

Dollar for dollar, one of the most accurate rifles I ever purchased.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Tomorrow is your day :)

I actually purchased my BV just to see if all of the Savage fans raving about their .22's were pulling my leg. They were right. Initially I had installed a Nikon 3X-9X with a drop compensation reticle, too heavy, and went with a 2X-7X Nikon. The weight with a sling and ready for the woods is a bit more than 8lbs. I bumped off quite a few foxes at 75+ yds using Aguila Interceptor.

It did need a few rounds to achieve peak accuracy, with a JB paste clean between trips, (maybe about 300-400 rounds), and it does have distinct ammo preferences, but it's nearly as accurate as far more expensive rifles with "good ammunition". My favorites in this rifle are Aguila Target and Match, Eley Club and Target, as standard velocity ammo goes. It also does real well with the Aguila HS HP/Solid, Federal HS Match, and most any of the CCI products.

The only minor bug is the magazines, which work the best when you tighten them up by peening the stamped "rivets", (can't think of a better description).

Dollar for dollar, one of the most accurate rifles I ever purchased.
Similar reason that I started looking into the Savage Mark II also. Savage has come a very long way over the last several years, especially with the development and introduction of their trigger.
Tomorrow is supposed to be the day I see FedEx arrive, but they always seem to be a day or two late these days. Probably due to cooped up on-line shoppers wearing masks. :eek:
Can't wait to set up the scope and treat the barrel with a couple of coats of EEZOX, then test some ammunition on my 35 meters target, before we venture out further.
Thanks for your review of your rifle, hope mine will do just as well.

·
Banned
234 Posts
I have a couple of older Savage 22 rifles that can out shoot most guys. I was told a long time ago, by a fellow much smarter than I, that Sako rifles are fine, it's usually the owners you need to watch. Usually not that hard to smoke those guys out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Similar reason that I started looking into the Savage Mark II also. Savage has come a very long way over the last several years, especially with the development and introduction of their trigger.
Tomorrow is supposed to be the day I see FedEx arrive, but they always seem to be a day or two late these days. Probably due to cooped up on-line shoppers wearing masks. :eek:
Can't wait to set up the scope and treat the barrel with a couple of coats of EEZOX, then test some ammunition on my 35 meters target, before we venture out further.
You have my vote.
[ arma fulcra pace ]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts