Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, went to the local gun store to pick up a rifle sling, and spent about an hour at the used rack...Big mistake. Found a Left hand Tikka syn, stainless in 300 win mag with talley rings and a nice zeiss marked at 900.

Anyone have experience with Tikka in this caliber? How bad is the recoil? I am thinking slip on pad. I've shot a 7mm rem mag 175 grain hot load, and I didn't enjoy it, but its a hunting rifle, you sight it in, then shoot once maybe twice.

any advice on this is much appreciated .

~ John

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I sight in my hunting rifle and shoot it a lot more than that ;) But yeah, you can either replace the recoil pad with something like a LimbSaver or buy a slip-over pad. I would suggest putting those on just about anything with even noticable recoil, really. I put one on my .30-06 recently just to drop it even more. Can't complain when even moderate recoil drops to 'mild' recoil.

Also, you can buy rifles that shoot cartridges that don't have so much recoil but are still capable of the job. I switched "down" to a .260 Remington this year... a pleasure to shoot (can shoot it all day at the range without flinching or getting sore) and drops deer like they're hot. :)

·
Registered
610 Posts
It will kick more than that 7mm. One nice thing about those Tikka's is that they are nice and light for carry, but light guns like that kick like a mule in those larger calibers. I would suggest a slip on Limb Saver pad or some similar pad. Unless you don't mind the kick. They are really nice rifles for the money though. Sounds like you got a decent deal too.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't bought it yet. Plan to though. With a really nice slip on kickeez or limb-saver do you think it would drop down the recoil to the same level as the 7mm with a normal pad?

thanks for the responses.

·
Banned
397 Posts
You can always add a recoil reducer if you don't mind the noise.
My son has one on a .340 Weatherby and it kicks like a .308 or
even less.

Zeke

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
personally, I can't stand muzzle brakes. Understand they work great, but just having been in the stand with a friend using BOSS 7mm, it was just ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I'm with jgnola11 on my distaste for brakes. I am to the point where I say to anyone who is thinking of braking a rifle, if you can't shoot it without a muzzle brake, get a smaller cartridge.

Muzzle brakes do control recoil well, but the resulting sound and muzzle blast will do serious damage to anyone's hearing who is not protected every time you fire it. Every time.

There is no "need" to shoot anything that has recoil you find objectionable.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Yeah... sucks being at the range with someone shooting a braked rifle (even through hearing protection). I usually pack up and head home after the first shot of someone with a brake. My hearing is more important.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I looked real hard at a Tika before I bought my Hawkeye in 338 win mag. When I picked it up my first thought was " this gun is so light it will break my shoulder when I touch it off". After examining the synthetic stock and flimsy looking trigger guard I was also afraid the gun itself would break !:eek:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree that the hawkeyes look like they are of a higher quality material build. I compared the two side by side at the store.

So no one has a tikka in 300 win? shoot.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Limbsavers turn big kickers into pussycats. They look way better than the slip ons things.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok good to know. would you use limbsaver over decelerator or kickeez? do you believe it will reduce recoil to the 7mm / 30-06 range?

·
Registered
436 Posts
The Tikka rifles are VERY high quality. Ever heard of SAKO firearms, yeah, same company? I don't have one but have played with a few. I'd strongly recommend the rifle AND the cartridge. However, if you want to reach far like a .300 WM. without the recoil buy a .25-06. Myself I do not know how to make a .300WM. very mild and still be a .300WM. Good luck and best wishes.;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the input. I shoot a 7mm/08 a7 right now no pad or anything. I don't mind the recoil on it at all, but I know it is approaching the end of my comfort zone. The gun only weighs a little over 7 pounds. I used a vxI leupold and quad lock rings to keep the weight down. I know the 300 win is double the recoil without a pad.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Tikka 300 WM

:)When i got the 338 F the reciol was great at the range dressed in a tea shirt . Did not think it could punch more than the same rifle in '06 but felt like it was a bout double .

I was advised to put a limbsaver pad on it #10011 which I did . Reciol now is more like the 308W - less than the 3006, and can spend the day at the range with out coming home blue.
The pad screws on and looks like it came from the factory that way and am very pleased overall.
Now it is one of the favorite guns in the safe.
So if you see a Tikka on sale with a bit more powder than the 'o6 , you will know it was traded because the reciol was a bit much for the shooter , and was not informed to change the pad on the gun.
I was too abit concerned about the polymer used . Well Ruger can run a truck over their 22/10 reciever and use it , so too the tikka is very strong and durable . I've had a tikka now for three years counting .
You gotta admitt that action sure is smooth!!!

Some what like the S&W model 29 in 44 Mag. You could at one time buy these cheap 'cause the reciol was too much for the average shooter . But then too he could have used target loads .

Well the limbsaver pad saves the day on a 300 Tikka

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:)When i got the 338 F the reciol was great at the range dressed in a tea shirt . Did not think it could punch more than the same rifle in '06 but felt like it was a bout double .

I was advised to put a limbsaver pad on it #10011 which I did . Reciol now is more like the 308W - less than the 3006, and can spend the day at the range with out coming home blue.
The pad screws on and looks like it came from the factory that way and am very pleased overall.
Now it is one of the favorite guns in the safe.
So if you see a Tikka on sale with a bit more powder than the 'o6 , you will know it was traded because the reciol was a bit much for the shooter , and was not informed to change the pad on the gun.
I was too abit concerned about the polymer used . Well Ruger can run a truck over their 22/10 reciever and use it , so too the tikka is very strong and durable . I've had a tikka now for three years counting .
You gotta admitt that action sure is smooth!!!

Some what like the S&W model 29 in 44 Mag. You could at one time buy these cheap 'cause the reciol was too much for the average shooter . But then too he could have used target loads .

Well the limbsaver pad saves the day on a 300 Tikka

thanks much! I guess a 338 F is more intense than a 300 win?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah you are right.

Probably worse off here. Well I bought it. Awesome looking, hopefull good shooting. Range friday. bringing a towel because i don't have a pad yet.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Yeah you are right.

Probably worse off here. Well I bought it. Awesome looking, hopefull good shooting. Range friday. bringing a towel because i don't have a pad yet.
Well bring the winter coat .The manual says do not use a brush , just a patch to clean it . A lot of guys then use a foam cleaner .
Hope you like shooting the tikka and may she keep your freezer full.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I do not mean to muddy the waters here, but I have a brother & law that got a 300wm. I can shoot that rifle with complete comfort, for at least a full box of ammo. He, on the other hand, has a hard time shooting more than 10 rounds. More than that and he comes home black and blue. I do not have that problem. I know this may sound odd, but it truly is one of those: Different Strokes for Different Folks things.

Good shooting,
Gary

1 - 20 of 49 Posts