Shooters Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
tkms002

I don't know how you approach your load development or work ups, but my recent Hornady book shows the potential for something less then 200fps more with the 7mm mag. and a bit less the 300fps more with one powder.

Those are increases over velocities shown in your last post.

Then we come back to the fact that some rifles are just slow, in fact many fall into that group.

If the increased velocity really makes that much difference to you, then test other powders,-IF YOU CAN FIND THEM - and possibly you will find a combination that does well in your rifle. POSSIBLY.

However, the critters won't care providing you are using a good bullet and have well placed shots.

Dead is just as dead at 2900fps as it is at 3100fps.

The most important factor is how well does you rifle shoot, not how fast.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Tikka lowest velocity 2900
Tikka highest velocity 2925
Rem lowest velocity 2953
Rem highest velocity 2967.

What to do?

Thanks
Sight in and hunt.

As you mentioned, the difference in velocity is about 50fps. In real-world hunting situations, this is completely negligible.

"sight in your gun 3" high at 100 yards, followed by practice at 200, 300 and any further distances for which you plan to hunt.

Way too much emphasis is put on velocity and energy. How does she group?"

You keep telling us how "slow" your gun is, but if the groups are good, it really, honestly, TRULY...doesn't matter. ;)

Discussion starter · #24 ·
Ok more data
Set the chrony at about 15ft
Ran 2 hand loads and 2 factory through both guns
Hand load 139 hornady
Rem hi vel 2953 low vel 2919
Tikka hi vel 2909 low vel 2904
Hand load 145 Speer
Rem hi vel 3030 low vel 3008
Tikka only one round left 2884
Factory fed premium 150 ballistic tip
Rem hi vel 2946 low vel 2910
Tikka hi vel 2931 low vel 2909
Factory fed premium 160 partition
Rem hi vel 2923 low vel 2915
Tikka hi vel 2805 low vel 2801

So. What do you think?
Thanks

Yep, pretty clear you have a rifle that fits, if not in the slow group, at least low in the middle group which come close to meeting published data.

Then possible the Remington is a bit fast, putting it in the upper end of the middle group.

Great example how firearms of the same caliber, vary from one to the other.

Now the good thing here is, that there will never be any critter that will ever know or show the difference when hit with a well and properly placed shot.

Dead is dead and any of the velocities you show will get er done.

Not sure if I shared this on this thread before, but during my time with a chronograph, I have found there to basically be three groups of rifles as per velocities. Slow, meaning well off published data and sometimes by hundreds of FPS, then the second group which come close to duplicating the published velocities and the last group which tends toward "fast", meaning many times that rifle will exceed the expectations of the published data.

The slow group is the largest, followed by the middle group and again followed by the smallest group, those that tend to exceed published data.

This is not a hard and fast rule, but I have seen it enough and owned enough slow rifles to know it is not far off.

Yep, dead I dead and the slowest 30/06 ever made would still get er done.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

tkms002;

I know this thread is old but I'm going to respond anyway.

What I see in your testing notes is that you are getting ROUGHLY the same speed with your rifle as your buddy's EXCEPT when you shoot your rifle w/ the 145 gr bullets. Then by comparison, your rifle seems slow using the 145 gr bullets. His rifle can tolerate the 145 bullet but your rifle doesn't for whatever reason.

I believe part of the answer (speed differences w/ the 145 gr) may lie in the distance of the bullet's ogive to the lands in your rifle when you use the 145 gr bullet OR; your rifles actual bore diameter and the diameter of the 145 gr bullet.

Drop the thought of using that 145 gr bullet if the 150 fps bothers you. Sight-in your rifle using a 150 gr and go hunting. You're making it hard on yourself. I have the utmost confidence in my Tikka!

Good luck;
Kahuner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.