Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Tikka T3 hunter in 30/06 This rifle has been performing very well for me up until last range session. After about 6 rounds the bolt got stuck and would not let me pull the bolt back to remove spent casing. After returning home I did manage to get this to work with some force. Now shells seem to load but with greater effort locking the bolt down. Anyone out here have any idea what is happening here. Just thought I would ask before I took to gun smith to check out. Thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have a T3 stainless Hunter and there is stuff all for the bolt to jam on, likely the fired cases are stuck in the chamber more than the bolt getting stuck, eventually the extractor will break.
Depends on if you reload, and then if you f/l size now and then, and the plain simple things like cleaning the chamber with a suitable mop soaked in solvent/cleaner.
I neck size most of the time but in batches where all are either f/l sized or only neck sized.
Do factory rounds feed ? and after firing they all jam ? having a dirty neck sized only case that has been allowed to stretch too much will always jam to the point where they will break the extractor then your off to the gunsmith to get it out.
Clean the chamber well, check the cases for correct size, including headspace on a new factory round for comparison, if the factory stuff work your reloading is missing something, or even a badly made die, I had one recently that needed replacing, Lee BTW.
When did you clean the rifle lately, etc etc.
Really need more information otherwise it could be one of many things, does the shellholder feel tight on the case ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont reload so these are factory loads. I clean the barrel after about every 10 shots then a real deep cleaning at home. This is my first bolt action rifle and I belive that I am cleaning it properly. Have about 60 rounds through this rifle and this is the first problem I have had with it. Have been shooting Remington Core Lock T and just switched over to Hornady Superformance Shells. This problem started after the first Hornady was fired and now everything just seems real tight chambering. I will make sure the chamber is clean maybe this is the problem.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Don't suppose you have any other Remington ammo left over, seems very odd, I would have to assume that either brand of ammo feeds in and out if unfired ? but might be worth going to different ammo, of any kind the 06 is not difficult to get ammo for.

But then I would still be measuring the fired cartridges of both Remington and Hornady, seems to be an ammo problem rather than a rifle problem to state the obvious, but why any particular brand of ammo would have enough excess pressure that would expand it enough to swell the case enough to jam is something I personally have not heard of or seen, except for neck sized cases that have had max + loads and were in need of a full length sizing.

Sure if the cases were handloads and were necksized and then only using very hot loads, that combined with dirty cases or chamber would make then stick to some degree, but even when tight they do come out, but not on a factory round.

At least stop using the Hornady ammo, and seek an explanation from the maker, it's possible others may have had similar problems, from a dodgy batch of ammo.

·
Registered
85 Posts
When cleaning, make sure to remove the bolt and clean the barrel from the chamber to the muzzle, not the other way around. If cleaned from the muzzle first, you may be pushing some grit and crud into the chamber. If that builds up enough it can cause jamming.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
I dont reload so these are factory loads. I clean the barrel after about every 10 shots then a real deep cleaning at home. This is my first bolt action rifle and I belive that I am cleaning it properly. Have about 60 rounds through this rifle and this is the first problem I have had with it. Have been shooting Remington Core Lock T and just switched over to Hornady Superformance Shells. This problem started after the first Hornady was fired and now everything just seems real tight chambering. I will make sure the chamber is clean maybe this is the problem.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you just answer your question? You switched to another type of ammo and the problem happened within 6 rounds. If the bolt is still difficult to close, you most likely have a cleaning issue. I would recommend that you thoroughly clean the chamber until rounds chamber and the bolt closes easily. From there, shoot some of the original ammunition, to see if the problem happens again. If it doesn't, try the Hornady rounds again.

It may just be that your chamber is dirty and not a problem with the ammo, at all.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,660 Posts
I would agree with the above, go back to the Rem ammo and see if the issue persists.

I have seen hard bolt lift with some factory ammo in one particular rifle. Not all the factory stuff is loaded to the same pressures. In my experience, the Rem stuff is pretty 'mild' and least likely to cause issues. Some of the "premium" or "high performance" stuff may be loaded up higher pressures.

If the issue is caused by the ammo change, I would be tempted to get a headspace gage - they are only $20-$25 or so - and see if the chamber is tight. The bolt should close on a "go" gage with no resistance whatsoever.

If the "go" gaqe passes the test, then I would contact Hornady and see if there are known issues with your particular lot of ammo. Could be that pressures are right on the edge, brass is soft, etc. It is also possible that a chamber is reamed crooked, or the bolt lugs are not bearing evenly.

A short chamber is not necessarily the end of the world - you just have to be aware of it and use ammo that will not be sensitive to that (or load your own and stay away from max loads). I have one rifle that won't quite close the bolt on a "go" gage; reloads are kept a bit below what might be considered max for the cartridge.

But step one is to go back to ammo that is known to have been OK in the past.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts