Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice on what case to use for building a cast lead slug gun in 416. The 30-06 family of cases is out and I really don't want to beat myself up with one of the big belted mags. I was thinking maybe one of the newer fat cases that seem to be in fashion right now but shortened a bit to fit thru a regular length action.
Any one got any suggestions.
Jim

·
Registered
194 Posts
" It's not that bad" Really, the recoil of a proper rifle won't knock you over. you won't be varmint hunting with the Rigby or Remington mag, but they can be shot. My Ruger #1 in the Rigby cartridge is a lot of fun. I added a Pachmayer Decelorator pad and about 3/4 of a pound of lead shot and epoxy into the stock. Just drilled a hole and poured the mix in. The gun balances better and the extra weight helps keep the recoil down. I just need better iron sights.

My Remington 700 is a project in the works. Its a Kevlar stocked model with an Answer products muzzle brake. The gun weighs 9 pounds. It needs a protective finish and an iron sight/scope combo. With the brake you can shoot this rifle all day with no pain. I've shoot 30-30's that are more abusive.

The Rigby's great but reduced loads are not its thing. 100 grains of powder are just getting things started. Accurate arms has reintroduced a powder that should allow some load reduction, I just haven't tried any yet. See Marshall's post about the 416 Remington loads and see that 1900 fps is possible. The 416 Taylor is another option, but I ahve no experience with it.

The Remington is the best route for full power loads and a case that will accept lighter loads. Brass is cheap and rifles are abundant.

The direct answer to your question is the 416 Barnes. This is based on the 45-70 case necked down and still gives plenty of power. A converted Marlin with Marshall's LBTs would be a fine 416.

Good luck in your search for 416 perfection,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Arkypete

Check out the .350 Rem Mag-.416.  Smaller internalLy, easy to head space, very efficIent and plenty of JUICE!

Should be a CB winner.  e-Mail for more info.

Tubalcain

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have just recieved my 416 Express(350 Rem necked to 416 with a 30 degree shoulder) from the Gunsmith(Mark Pinkston).  My fireforming loads are 34.0 4198 / 350gr RCBS Fn lubed with Thompsons Red and tumbled with alox / 22" Shillen barrel 1 in 14  = 1620 fps with excellent accuracy.  If it shoots as good with jacketed I will be delighted!  If you have any questions about the Express - just ask!

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
#Moderation Mode

I moved this to the Wildcat section just to let this thread get the exposure it needs.

<a href="http://beartoothbullets.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/topic.cgi?forum=15&topic=1" target="_self">Moved here</a>

·
Registered
52 Posts
416X460 S&W? It can take pressures in the mid 60's, its compact, its case is obtainable. My Pet Wish Wildcat is the 505 Gibb's shortened and necked to 416 and chambered in a Ruger No. One. But I enjoy big gun punishment annyway.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,949 Posts
Digging back into the archives almost 14 years! Think that may be a record.

Why not start your own new thread?

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts