Shooters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

A while back (starting to be a long while back) a modified cartridge case was developed that had a flash tube extending from the primer cup to near the base of the bullet.  The primer went off, and the powder charge was ignited at the front of the cartridge with the idea that you weren't pushing the powder charge down the barrel, supposedly resulting in lower operating pressures and higher velocities (I plead ignorance never having explored the system personally).  My question is does anyone have experience with this system or perhaps some information about the experiments that were done?  As I recall, there was an increase in bullet velocity, but I was never able to find the experimental data.  This would be a project for those who revel in precision!

El Lobo in NM

·
Registered
935 Posts
Wow! you sure are blowing out the cobwebs in my brain.  No, I never did it.  James Gates probably knows all about it.  I remember reading Elmer Keith (I think it was his autobiography) where he experimented with some while he was working at one of the arsenals during the war.  I'll check his book.  There may also be a reference in "Hatcher's Notebook".  I'll try to take a look for it in the next day or two.  I recall that is supposedly worked very well in large cartridges like the 50cal BMG cartridge.  It may still be in use today.  I think that with the advent of slower and more progressive burning powder, it fell from grace.  It did work as you described though.   Let's see who has more practical knowedge on the subject.  It is fascinating.

God bless..................  Bill M

·
Banned
2,428 Posts
Elmer Keith and his buddies tried to develop a line of cartriges that had duplex loads and extended primer flash tubes. The line was to be called OKH cartridges. They had one I saw called the .333 OKH. After some time playing with it they decided the was no real advantage. Some of the .50's did have extended perforated primer tubes. I dont know that it is still used. Navy 5" had tubes and years ago the boys made some recoil reducers out of them. I thought they were too flashy. Now in then someone "re-invents" the tube primer and come out with some outlandish claims, but in truth they just never produce the claimed results. That's about all I remember, but I'm sure some where in my piles of stuff there are the old tests! I class these with the screw on steel heads for cartridges and the Krnka Tube bullet for the Krag
Oh well..........!
Best Regards, James

1 - 3 of 3 Posts