Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
of anticipation!:confused:

How many have run up to that Christmas tree on the morning of December 25th and saw that shotgun that you dreamed of for months, maybe years?:eek:

Was it a shinny new Remington 1100, 870 Wingmaster or a classic old double gun that Grand Dad had finally passed down to you?

Did you fidget thru the Christmas dinner, anxious to get out the back door with your new scattergun to bust a bunny or fluff a quail, grouse or pheasant?:)

Or were you like me, always destined to want and wonder but never given the chance to relish the moment of long desire and hopeful anticipation.:(

Tell us your stories.

·
Registered
585 Posts
First "real" gun I got for christmas was my Ruger 10/22 International. My dad pulled the whole bit from A Christmas Story, let me sit there and open all my other presents first and then said "hey boy, what about that box behind the couch there?"....most excited I've ever been, 9 years old.

Other gun I got for Christmas I actually recieved in June. Me and dad walked into a gun shop on a lunch break and found a NIB Browning Gold Evolve Euro Sporting with a ridiculously low price on it but left without it. Next day my dad shows up and hands it to me and said "Merry Christmas, dont tell mom yet" lol...

·
Banned
256 Posts
I could never wait, and since hunting season started in November I usually got my Christmas early. My Dad died when I was 10, I got my first 22 that following Christmas selling Christmas cards myself, and my Mom and Grandmother were sympathetic to the fact that hunting season was way more important than Christmas to me at that stage.
I most remember my 1100. I had saved my paper route money and bought an over and under, but could never hit squat with it, and I had sold it and was looking for a new shotgun. A buddy and his Dad had Remington 58s, and I was on the verge when the 1100 came along. I had gotten more for the O/U than an 1100 would cost, but my Mom wanted to get it for me for Christmas. We had called all over in the Fall of 1963, looking for a 28" Full choke vent rib model, and finally located one at Wilcox's in Newport News, VA. We went and got it after school on a Thursday afternoon, not long before Thanksgiving. As soon as we got home, I jumped in the boat in my school clothes with the gun and paddled down the lake. Up at the head of a cove were two Canvasbacks. They came flying out and Bang ! Bang! , I dropped both of them. I can still close my eyes and see the second one skidding to a stop on the mirror smooth water, full of the reflection of all the colored leaves, and hear the shot echoing in the distance. I sat there stunned and thrilled. I had never doubled on ducks before. I had found my gun. I still have it. Nothing I have ever gotten before or since has come close.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts