Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the question, is there such a thing as a muzzlebrake that does not require the constant use of hearing protection. I have either gotten rid of the rifles with brakes or taken the brakes off of all my rifles because in hunting I need to hear so can't use protection. I also asked a audiologist about the amplified muffs, was told even the small exposure before cutoff was harmful.
What have you used and can it be used without protection?

Good hunting
     Lynn

·
Banned
169 Posts
I am not sure if there is an aftermarket version available, but I have heard good things about Savage's adjustable muzzle brake. You could use it with the brake open at the bench and closed while hunting. Other than that I stay away from brakes. Sean

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
After extensive use of a Marlin 444P with factory porting and sharing the range for an afternoon near a guy shooting a ported Weatherby .340 I have decided to never again port/brake a centerfire rifle. The increased blast is significant. Even if it doesn't bother the shooter it sure offends his neighbors on the firing line. In one case a tiny piece of jacket material hit someone to the side of me and my 444. Not dangerously big but surprising nonetheless.

Noted elk guide and gun writer Ross Seyfried has stated in at least one public forum that he will no longer hunt with anyone using a ported or braked rifle. Looks like I'm in pretty good company.

·
Banned
169 Posts
I have a Guide Gun with the factory porting and though I have only shot one round with out hearing protection on (unfortunately not at an animal) I did not notice anything harsh about the report of that one shot. No ringing of the ears or anything. Under the roof of a covered range I am sure it would be quite different as I have a little experience with a Contender in .35 Rem with the muzzle tamer (nasty). Sean

·
Registered
36 Posts
IMHO: if you need a muzzle brake 'cause you can't handle the recoil, you have too big a gun [unless it is a 50BMG]. case in point to question: NRA does not allow firearms with muzzle brakes of any kind on the firing line at matches, too hard on  shooters ears, yours or theirs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts