Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all, fairly new gun hunter here. (I've been mostly bow but am learning to love shooting a rifle!) I have a Leupold scope on my .30-06 and was looking at the convienence of flip up scope covers. I have been reading some good and bad things about the different types and was wondering if you all had any opinions on; 1. Are they worth it in the field? 2. Is it worth spending the big bucks on the aluminum ones from Leupold, or do the Butler creek ones work as well? 3. What are some alternatives you would suggest?

Thanks,

Dale

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Personally, I don't use them. Sometimes seconds count and anything that might create a noise somehow some way even if by accident I don't want. That's just my opinion !! If you like them, use them and get what you like the best. I don't know if the Butler Creek type's seal the water out or if the Leupold does either but that would be one thing I looked for as well as how quiet they are when you flip it up. Best to ya !

·
Banned
4,916 Posts
I have them on many of my pieces. I leave the front one on; just pop it open to use. I take the rear one off to keep it out of the way. I definitely have the rear one on when I clean the bore...

Reactions: Tnhunter

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have one on the objective lens on all my rifles. Leave it open all the time unless raining or snowing in which case they are left closed until I can hold rifle in position to not get rain or snow on lens or I need to take the shot. Mine are butler creek all black not clear lens as I would never try a shot through a closed clear one anyhow. They are very quick and quiet to open. It becomes second nature to flip open after you use for a while almost automatic as you shoulder the rifle, no time lost at all on the shot that I can perceive. Saved me on more than one occasion in bad weather.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
I own enough sizes of the flip-up covers (all plastic) to be able to use them on most all my rifles. I do not normally leave them on during a hunt or use them unless the weather is bad. As most of my hunting anymore is stand hunting, flipping the cap open is not a tough task to accomplish before the shot. On the rare occasion when I'm still-hunting, no matter what the weather, the caps remain open or off. One other thing I do is whenever possible I will utilize a rifle with a Bushnell Elite scope with it's patented "Rainguard" coating on the lens surfaces when the weather is bad. I have those scopes on some very diverse rifles, adequate for most hunting situations.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
I have both kinds, aluminum and plastic. The plastic ones, even the good ones, are pretty cheaply made and will on occasion pop open on their own. The aluminum ones from Leupold are much, much better. However, they are expensive. I feel they're worth it for me. I stand hunt most of the time and even the cheap ones work well in a stand. I keep the bottom one open in the stand since the gun is hanging on a hook and the bottom lens is facing down and not getting snow or rain on it. No big deal to pop the top one open. I've never had a deer get spooked doing this yet. As stated above, the Bushnell scopes with RainGuard are another option. I own several and that coating really works well. In my case I use the aluminum on my Leupolds and own several Bushnell scopes also. I use the plastic lens covers on some cheaper rim fire guns and like I said, they suffice.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I have Butler plastic flip ups on all my hunting rifles from the 22rf up to the 416. Been using them for at least 25 years. I hunt ugly weather and I want the protection from the elements when hunting. Since every rifle has a set, the lenses stay clean even when in a case or in rough transit. In normal weather when hunting I flip up the front and back and hunt that way all day. So the Butlers take a beating on brush and hitting limbs and my body. Never broken one in miles and years of use.

Proper fit is important and I never order on line but instead take the scope into a local gun shop and get perfect, tight fit. I talk to guys that have lost them while hunting (I've even found caps in the woods); these people have ordered off charts from the mail or even in a gun store without the scope in hand. Scopes, and cover vary too much to order without a fitting.

·
Registered
491 Posts
In snow and rain I find scope covers very helpful to keep the lens clear. I use the flip up type on a few guns but also the plastic cover with rubber bands that came with the scope or the stretchable neoprene type that cover the whole scope. I think that the flip up type are convenient and stay attached to the scope so I am less prone to lose them but I really don't care which one I use as long as I can keep the lens clear. The flip up type stay attached and are sometimes in the way whereas the others I remove completely. That is an advantage in using the rifle but maybe more likely for me to leave it behind. Any of them beats trying to keep the scope under the edge of my jacket or covering it with a hand or worse, trying to wipe off the lens in time to shoot. An objective lens full of snow is tough to clear quickly and you might damage the lens coating trying to clean it off.

·
Registered
11,934 Posts
I've tried the Butler Creek covers and a new Nikon came with a similar pair. After opening and closing them several times I decided both types made too much of an unnatural noise for me and decided not to use them in the field. When hunting in rain or snow I've used the bikini covers for years, waterproof and quiet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the great info everyone. I appreciate you all being generous with your knowledge. I'm enjoying the sort of people I am meeting and interacting with as I learn to hunt. Good folk!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts