Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only do target shooting. I have various US and European target 22 ammo. The US is dry or no lube and the European has wet lube. I have searched the net about lubing the US ammo and I am now more confused Should I the US ammo and what should I use? I would appreciate any advise.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I have never tried lubing my 22 ammo. I do know that shooting from a wet barrel will detract from your accuracy so I now run several dry patches before my first shot. I use CCI standard velocity match ammo and it works very well in my rifle compared to other brands of ammo.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Shoot it the way it was made. In some registered shoots, alteration of the ammo is reason for disqualification.

My gun needs several rounds fired thru it after a cleaning. And several fired before starting a target as I surely found out last week including te second target after a change target break of 10 or so minutes.

·
Registered
818 Posts
The US ammo has a wax lube on the exterior of the 22 cal. bullet .
22's being a bit on the dirty side , the waxy bullet lube helps cut down on powder fouling mixing with oil and forming a black sludge .
Back in the 1970's I remember seeing some competitors squirt oil on the bullets in a loaded magazine but I never felt compelled to go that route my Ruger MKII Target and S&W Model 41 both fed , fired and ejected without the extra oil... I guess it depends on the gun ...some pistols may need it , mine didn't .
Gary

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
About 20yrs ago I did extensive testing with Federal auto-match to see if it could be improved for shooting silhouette on windy days with my 597, I tried sorting by rim thickness, weight and relubing. I had mixed results with all three, on the positive side there was lots of small particles of lead in the wax and on the bullets, cleaning it off and relubing resulted in my gun staying much cleaner. Best ammunition for the buck-SK standard plus, if your shooting one of the new long range competitions try SK long range match.
Fyi Eley Tenex{british} some of the best 22 ammunition in the world uses a dry lube.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts