Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Michael,

I wanted to answer your question directly but the new format is in place. So I had to start anew.

It is best to solidly bolt any press to an equally solid bench. But when my wife and I were apartment dwellers I used C-clamps to temporarily attach my press to an overhanging kitchen lunch counter. First I bolted the press, a Lee Challenger, to a piece of 1/2 inch plywood about 12X8 inches. Then this whole affair was C-clamped to the overhang when needed. All in all not a bad setup.

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
The suggestions of mounting a press on a board and then "C" clamping it down is a good one... been there and done that in dorm rooms during college days.  Political correctness wasn't an issue then!

In addition to the presses mentioned to you on this and the old forum, you might consider the very excellent Lyman Accu-Press.  It is a bench mounted press, or just reverse the toggle link and it is a first class hand-held press like the Lee Nutcracker.  I've owned two of these handy little presses and both times let someone talk me out of them.   They are very durable, and capable of full-length resizing with no problems.  best of all, they will just about fit into a shoe-box, and probably would by undoing the toggle-link and removing the handle!

For those of you on both a budget and limited space constraints it is a good option.  Just checked Lyman's website www.lymanproducts.com and it sells for &#3632.00, Midsouth Shooter's Supply has them for &#3622.90.  Their link is www.midsouthshooterssupply.com, a great low-cost alternative to the high price of retail sales!

Hope this helps!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
4 Posts
I really appritiate all the help! I have found someone on the forum at Sixguns.com that lives in my area and was willing to teach me to reload. I am in the process of getting a job with the Sheriff's office here in Austin, so money is really tight. This gentleman has also offered the use of his gear until I can get started. Now I just need to find some .45 colt dies. Anymore suggestions?? God Bless you all. It really means a lot to me to be able to get such good information and I hope you all know that.
Michael
(the new guy!)  

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Michael,

Glad to hear of your good fortune. It's always a boon to have someone beside you that knows what they're doing when you get started. As for dies, I've always gotten fine service from Lee carbides. I've found them to be just as good, to load as accurate or better ammo than other brands, for less money than competitor's products.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mr. Lester,
Thanks again for your reply! I am really looking forward to meeting him. we are starting tomorrow morning. We are going to reload .44mag, because that is what he has. I am sure that there shouldn't be much different from my .45colt.
Michael
(the new guy)

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,300 Posts
Michael, with some presses you don't even need a board to bolt them too.  I have an RCBS press that has a flat 'flange' at the base which I c-clamp to any handy table, counter, etc.  Even have used it in an apartment as you are planning.  Anyway this is one less thing to mess with and keeps the whole pile of equipment a little smaller.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts