Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Browning A-Bolt Alaskan Special (plastic stock, SS, iron sights) in .338 Win Mag at a local gun show. I have chosen to buy a Zeiss Conquest scope (3-9x40, Silver) based on spending the morning reading this forums comments.

Question is, since the weapon already has the iron sights (and I do like to shoot iron sights), should I mount the scope using see-thru mounts?

Will see through mounts even stay in place on this beast?

I'd appreciate some other opinions since I can see both advantages and disadvantages to the idea.:D

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,871 Posts
With these mounts the scope will necessarily be well above center of bore which will require elevating your head to gain proper sight picture in the scope. Unless a cheek rest of proper height is added to the stock you will not be able to acquire a good cheek weld for a solid scope picture. A 338 Win has stout recoil compared to say, a 30-06, and not having a solid stock contact will be detrimental to good shooting form.

My suggestion - if you like iron sights, forget about attaching the scope. If you want to use the scope, learn to use it in lieu of the open sights and mount the scope as low to center of bore as possible.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I agree with kdub, being presently in possession of a rifle with see-through rings to hold the scope in place.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
I agree with the above posts, EXCEPT, if you might be built like one of my sons-in-law, who happens to be 6' 8" tall. No, you don't need to be that big, only need to know that the same ring height is not best for everyone. His best? high, like see through mounts. I get a tad tired of hearing everyone say get the lowest rings/bases possible. Why? not everyone is built the same. I bought a Kimber 84M right after they were released. I bought "proper" ring height for my 2-7x32 scope. Did not work worth a darn! End result was that I ended up with high height rings. I checked the comb height against some other rifles I owned & low and behold... it was much higher. Low is good. Too low sucks as bad as too high!! ;)

BUT, do NOT use see thrus, a waste of time and $$ on that rifle/scope combo.

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
See-through mounts seem like a good idea, but so did the Pinto when Ford first started selling 'em.

In practice, you're far better-off with a quality, low-power scope, mounted at a height that makes it line up perfectly when you snap the gun to your shoulder. I've used a rifle with see-through mounts and the reality is you don't remember to use them and you are not able to be as accurate with the scope because you aren't getting a good cheek weld. If you build up the comb so that you CAN get a good cheek weld, your head is too high to use the open sights well.

A good 2-7 or 1.5-4X, mounted properly, is simply a better solution.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I looked at the see-through mouts years ago and didn't get them because of the reasons listed above. I have 2 rifles that have the old 1950s Weaver flip mounts for allowing use of the iron sights. I like them, but they are no longer available. Whether they returned the scope exactly to zero when flipped to the side and back I don't know, but the return is well within the accuracy of those hunting rifles.

·
Super Moderator
3,788 Posts
All good points

See-Thru mounts may have their loyal customers, but I am not one of them. In the past, I have acquired a few used rifles that wore See-Thru mounts and as soon as I got home the mounts went into the trash can. My preferences are Weaver bases and Quad rings of whatever height seems to fit. They can easily be removed to allow use of the iron sights. Just the idle thoughts of an idle fellow. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for te replies

Thank you for the thoughtful replies.
I think I will forgo the see-through sights.
Can't wait to get the scope mounted and put my first rounds down range with this rifle.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have tried see-through mounts on rifles before with very limited luck to say the least. I think you have made a good decision to forgo the see-through mounts... JMO

·
Registered
846 Posts
Hey easy on the Pinto.An ok car for the time it was made.See thru mounts on the other hand.They are not very good.Puts the scope way too high for proper use and not enough light and sight picture to be usefull.In my opinoin at least

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I put a set of Warne Quick Detach rings on my rifle and I can attest to the fact that if and when you take the scope off it will go back to near perfect zero. You can leave the irons on the gun and if the need ever arises to remove the scope for any reason you have the option of either irons or scope.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went with the Leupold quick detach bases and rings.
Pretty happy thus far. Return to zero looks good using an older Tasco Bore Sight kit.
Thank you.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
I went with the Leupold quick detach bases and rings.
Pretty happy thus far. Return to zero looks good using an older Tasco Bore Sight kit.
Thank you.
Sounds like an excellent set-up! Congrats on getting a usable ring/base/scope system for your needs.

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
A Browning rifle with iron sights sporting a Zeiss scope makes for a pretty nice rig. The see-thrus put the scope far too high up in the air for me. To have your cake and eat it too, go with some quick-detach mounts.
I agree with this. I've never cared for the see through mounts. Always felt like I was a turkey peeking over a log when trying to use them.

I's sure you will be very happy with that set up golfer

1 - 15 of 15 Posts