Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CNN did a simulation designed for police. Looks really cool and could seriously help police in the future. Almost wish I had one of these simulators for myself. :D

To shoot or not to shoot? - CNN Video

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
Walt45,

Beginning in 1990, most Federal agencies went to "Shoot-Don't Shoot" Scenarios for all agents. It is Instructive to play mind games in possible shooting scenarios, but that female in the CNN video was not even to the Introductory level of training and a very poor subject for the Video:

1. When confronting a possibly armed subject, an officer MUST engage in "Verbal Judo" which I did not observe here. The female did not state LOUDLY, "Hands Up, TURN AROUND!" Why would any officer want to keep facing a possibly armed suspect? Once they turn around, the savvy agent takes a step, or two, Right or Left, so IF the subject is armed, his/her last impression was the agent was there, but NOT so if one is savvy.

2. Officers are perpetually holding their handguns in the Ready Position, BUT WHY do they have their trigger fingers extended forward, along the frame of the pistol or rifle, and OFF the trigger? I was in a shootout during my career where an agent had the trigger finger EXTENDED along the frame of the pistol. It suddenly appeared the subject NEEDED shooting and the agent dropped down the trigger finger to the FRONT of the trigger guard and was PULLING mightily, ON THE TRIGGER GUARD BUT NO shot was fired until I shoved the novice out of the way and made the needed shot!

WHY are officers trained to KEEP their trigger fingers OUT of the trigger guards? I suspect the trainers never had to make a shot. A finger inside the trigger guard does NOT necessarily mean there is pressure applied to the trigger. Unfortunately, very many new agents come to the academy and have never fired a gun before. THUS, the trigger-finger-OUT-OF- the trigger guard works for folks not accustomed to firearms. I will say, the agent pulling on the front of the trigger guard with NO BANG should have been remedial training at the academy. My Special Report went nowhere. Thus I retired and no longer need to deal with PC Firearms "Training."

Webley

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
My last couple of years on the Firearms Unit we had a very basic system to this. Now this system is a major step up.
I can only say that the 'novice' certainly had not handled a gun of any sort often enough. My gun of choice in a early morning raid was my trusty 870 but with that and with my sidearm I never had my trigger finger in the 'circle' but was always able to get it there very quickly if needed. It seems obvious that this 'novice' just went into panic mode due to poor training. Now I have HUGE fingers, I take the largest gloves you can buy but have always carried with my finger out front and never had any problem finding that trigger when required. I wasn't no fast draw merchant but I wasn't slow either. The trigger finger out of the guard also works for relatively well trained experienced as well.
Typical media, they needed a pretty young thing to be the inexperienced un trained dummy. She took a good part didn't she?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts