Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Years ago after my colt was stolen I found this iin a local store. Norinco 213 9x19mm. At $200 with a mil type flap holster and spare mag. Seems that Bill stopped the import of such. I would like to find spare parts and a couple of extra mags. For years it rode with me in my service truck, Dirty and hidden. Only once did I have a problem, relaxed my one handed grip and a jam(limp wrist?). It is easy to hold,not being a hicap model. A Canadian seller handles Norinco but I haven"t been in contact to find a mag or two.Looks pretty much like a Browing design inside. Any feedback?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Tokavev 7.62X25 First borrowed club handgun I ever shot in competition, interesting, relyable, it went bang every time, shot where pointed - mostlly, never jammed, but please pass me my Colt Gold Cup, thanks.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Good luck on finding parts. These foreign imports are certainly a bargain for someone on a budget looking for that one self defense piece not planning on firing it a lot. The problem is it only takes 1 politician with an agenda to hose it. Chinese 9mm was $129 for a case of 2000 rounds, 7.62X39 was $99 per case of 1200 rounds on strippers. At some point these pieces can become an expensive paper weight. When buying surplus/imports buy a lifetime supply of ammo and magazines, maybe even a second gun for spare parts.

·
Super Moderator
9,551 Posts
Did an on-line search though several replacement magazine sites. Looks like an Norinco made magazine is going to be about $36- $39, but at least a few places list them.

As i remember the 9mm version, they used a steel plate pinned into the grip frame to take up the space and the magazine was pretty much the same as the 7.62X25 vesion, just made to 9mm length. Have seen a 38 Largo (think of a .38super case that is not semi-rimed but rimless) conversion where that spacer plate was removed, bringing the mag. well back to 7.62X25 size.

At one time I had two, one a 1967 Vietnam bring-back in .30 Tok and one of the Norinco imports like yours. Could mix and the parts, they are basically the same gun except for the barrel and the magazine (and if I took out that spacer plate in the 9mm, the 7.62X25 magazine fits fine).

So i had to try the 9mm with the 7.62X25 mag full of 9mm's. Well, there is too much for and aft space for the shorter 9mm rounds, the rounds can stack up oddly, so there is an occasional failure to feed.

Besides being a strong design, having a unitized trigger system (the whole trigger unit comes out in one piece), it has steel guides for feeding. the magazine just brings the rounds up to those machined steel guides.

9mm was sold or traded off, and the .30 version was badly rusted externally in Katrina. Was packed with RIG for long tern storage, so the internal parts survived..and the chrome bore survived. Parkerized it, so now it is even uglier than before, but still functions just fine.

Has a few small high vel. impact craters on the right side, so i assume the last Asian owner was a little too close to something that went "boom" and gave up all earthly interrest in material things. Someone had a set of wooden grips made (still using the metal spring bars to hold them onto the frame like the originals).

Whatever the wood was, if bare wood, and you hold it in your hand long enough, will peel your skin. Some SE Asian version of poision ivy? A thick coating of marine varnish cured that problem (I didn't want to replace them with originals as those villiage made grips are part of it's ugly charm).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Ibought it because it was affordable (cheap). So far iv not had any problems other than the one of my own doing. I"ll check around with the info I've gotten from y"all and once again thanks for being here. Haven't learned to post pics yet, but soon. When money gets right I would like to upgrade to American made, possibly M+P 45.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again for replies. I don't shoot as much as a would like to but now that i've retired. Depndable is what I look for.So far this has benthe case. I read somewhere on the net that this was a "Jeep" of a hand gun.Good still own my CJ7.Was a AMC Jeep mechanic Simple tooless take down,trigger assembly,hamer ***'y,Hoppes#9 brakekleen compressed air,fresh oil good to go. I burn up 115gr fmj, that one jam had SWjhp. Until I was told about my grip I blamed the ammo.shooting Wolf fmj. Russian gun Russian ammo,use two hands no failure to feed.How about a heavier slug or +p loads?

·
Registered
135 Posts
One club member always shoots a Tokavev in 7.62x25, never seen it have any trouble, I doubt it gets cleaned more than a spray of WD-40, as did the same guns I shot when first getting into handguns, they were the club guns and i never saw them jam or stop for any malfunction, probably as relyable as an original AK SKS etc.

Cheap guns, and if you can get a few cases of the steel military ammo you will get many years from one, the only down side is they are not anywhere target grade but they are average shooters.

There is possibly match grade barrels available in custom order, might be worth it then.

I've seen Norinco making a similar model, and also a Tokegypt 762x25 version was spotted in a magazine.

About $275 AUD for a new or very good one, can't say what the ammo is butt in the US you shold have access to the chinese stuff by the case of 2,500 or so.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Back from the lake. Thanks for input. What I have learned is. Mil surplus is ok.better in country than import. You get what you pay for. As a knock around I should be able to depend on it. Made for extreme conditions in combat. Just wondering about strength as far as a heavier load. Probably save my cash and buy red white and blue for pride and seviceablity.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Have yet to see any "target" loads from the chinese 7.62X25 steel case ammo, all I have ever picked up in mistake showed signs of being somewhat warm.

After all the guns and ammo were made for just one purpose, with a decent bbl they could be OK shooters, might only cost $150 - $200, or double the cost of a gun.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just picked up the latest issue of Backwoodsman Magazine and they had a write up on the Tokarev. They say,"7.62..shot 90grain at 1700 fps. Wolf makes and 85gr that reaches speeds of 1720 fps and 520 ft/lbs.,7.62x25 will go through 4 layers of denim and 16" of gel." This brings me to my earlier question of hotter loads in my 9mm version. It seems to me that if this is the case then I should be safe with +p and heavier lead designed for todays' modern weapons. Correct me if I'm in dagerous territory here. The also mention several web sites on parts and ammo, altho I haven't been there yet.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The TT33 and it's derivatives is one of the most widely distributed handguns in the world. It is reliable and military-cored ammo will penetrate most vests. The lack of a safety was always a problem and yours seems to have corrected that. As for heating up 9mm loads all I will tell you is that the frame, slide and barrel can take it... but it might require a spring change-out, if they changed it when they went 9mm. Flat, reliable and powerful, they are a Soviet copy of the standard 1903 design, I believe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts