Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shoot a lot of 30.06 and .308. The .308 is a H&R Ultra and the 30.06 is a Rem 760. I notice when I am shooting from the bench the 30.06 brass is pretty hot when I grab the brass to put it back in the box. The .308 in contrast is pretty cool. Both are hand loads and only a couple grains difference in powder wts. The .308 is a 125 grain nosler and the .06 is a 150 gr SST.

Is the difference just the nature of the caliber or the difference in the barrel thickness or pressure? What?:rolleyes: :confused:

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
Maybe it is the curvature of the earth affecting them:D

Seriously,

What powders are you using in either cartridge? The medium to slower stick powders tend to generate a lot of heat whereas the ball powders seem to run cooler burning.

My guess is you are using a faster burning ball type powder in your 308 and medium burning stick type in your '06?

Regards

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Same Powder

I should have said that. Thanks for bringing up that variable. The powder is the only one I use in them, Varget. Great powder by the way for hunting loads. Plenty of accuracy available at low and nearly max loads in .308 and 30.06. I made a reduced recoil load last year in both these callibers to hunt with. I thought my kids may hunt and appreciate the reduced recoil. Both were super accurate but I was not impressed with bullet performance of the 165 gr SP on deer. I did not recover any bullets so I do not have the evidence that expansion was wanting at the velocities I loaded but I lost one animal and had to shoot anothe 3 times. Two times at close range after a tedious blood trail. I have loaded near max this year and accuracy is inside 1.5 at 100 yds if I do my part which is good enough for hunting but it is not as good as the little groups I got with the light load I shot last year.

By the way the old used 1970 ventage Rem 760 pump in 30.06 continues to amaze me at the bench. It has a little creep in the trigger but breaks consistant and fairly light. May have had some work on it before I got it. It is down right scary accurate for a production light chunk in the truck and go hunting rifle.

Man. Didn't mean to write a book. No, same powder Contender. That's what I should have said.:cool:

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
It could be as simple as how quick you are ejecting the brass. Ever notice how an autoloader's brass will burn you, but the same brass out of a bolt is cool? Your .308 Ultra is a single shot, is it not? Are you chucking out the .30-06 brass in the 760 just as soon as you shoot, but are waiting a few seconds before breaking open the SS and removing it's case? Run an experiment and time yourself as to how long it takes you to shoot, then remove the brass from the Ultra. Then, take the same amount of time before ejecting the .30-06 from the 760. I suspect you will find that the .30-06 brass now is pretty cool also. Just a thought.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:eek: That could be it. The pump opens pretty much on its own. It does not eject but the brass is out of the chamber almost immediately though still held in the action. I will try to remember next time and hold the action closed after firing and give the brass time to tranfer some heat into the chamber surrounding it like it does in the Ultra.

Pretty good call Big Bore. I will check it out. Hope I remember. I will probably not have them out together again for a while.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts