Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Call me a collector or call me a fool. I have always admired guns and loved shooting them and hunting with them too. Decided that I’d start parting ways with a few that I’m not attached to or not really crazy about. Never crossed my mind how many I’ve acquired over the years, now I find myself looking at one and honestly don’t remember where I got it or how much I paid for it or did I trade something for it. Here lately I’ve sold 5 rifles and 4 pistols in last two weeks. Tonight I’m taking inventory and so far i am astonished that I’ve counted 47 long guns and 21 handguns and know that a few more will turn up. All of these are keepers with some being worth a fortune. Hidden behind clothes in closets in several rooms around the house. Thinking about investing in a gun safe, all of my rifles are scoped so I fear a gun safe won’t actually hold the amount of guns it’s rated for with mine all scoped. Any ideas or suggestions on a gun safe to hold this many firearms or maybe I need two of them. I’ve got to give my wife documentation on these guns and their value in case something happens to me so that she won’t get beat down badly on their worth when she try’s to sell them one day.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
too many firearms ? ? ?

sounds like one of those "oxymorons"

like getting arrested for "having too much fun" :)

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
1. "Too many guns" is just silly. Of course, if you lose interest in one/some might as well part with them.

2. Safe volume ratings are for if you stack long guns like packing sardines in a can, and have no shelving installed. Without shelving, if you cut the "rating" in half, your long guns should fit without scratching them up.

Inventory of guns, with values, is an excellent idea. For insurance purposes if nothing else. I photograph all mine with brand, model#, SN, date of manufacture, and current value (updated annually). If scoped, that info as well.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
When putting a value to guns it's easily done on Gunbroker, they can tell you what the average selling price is for most guns but remember that's top dollar but to get that you'll also have to pay their fees for selling them there.
Leaving guns{or anything} for wife to sell after your gone is not very thoughtful, if you have so many you've forgotten how many you had means your not using them, sell them and go on a vacation, or give them to your grand kids, let someone else enjoy them. I've never seen a single gun hanging on the wall of an old folks home and besides they're not going to bury them with you.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Call me a collector or call me a fool. I have always admired guns and loved shooting them and hunting with them too. Decided that I’d start parting ways with a few that I’m not attached to or not really crazy about. Never crossed my mind how many I’ve acquired over the years, now I find myself looking at one and honestly don’t remember where I got it or how much I paid for it or did I trade something for it. Here lately I’ve sold 5 rifles and 4 pistols in last two weeks. Tonight I’m taking inventory and so far i am astonished that I’ve counted 47 long guns and 21 handguns and know that a few more will turn up. All of these are keepers with some being worth a fortune. Hidden behind clothes in closets in several rooms around the house. Thinking about investing in a gun safe, all of my rifles are scoped so I fear a gun safe won’t actually hold the amount of guns it’s rated for with mine all scoped. Any ideas or suggestions on a gun safe to hold this many firearms or maybe I need two of them. I’ve got to give my wife documentation on these guns and their value in case something happens to me so that she won’t get beat down badly on their worth when she try’s to sell them one day.
One fellow I know has an actual "gun room". Built out of concrete blocks and a door from a derelict bank vault. Kind of like a huge walk in closet.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Half advertised numbers fit properly but you can fit a lot of guns in a 10 gun safe if you take your time and stack them.
O and you don't mind spending forever to get them out ,not to mention the dings.
Buying a door that is built for a safe room and make a walk in closet is by far the best way to go imo.
Cheers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m thinking of having a room built on to the house just for gun storage, have several old colonial war, civil war muskets and hunting rifles of odd and hard to find calibers. I still run across guns that I just have to have even though I need to down size.

·
Registered
46 Posts
For me the two solutions are:
- be content with the weapons that you use at least once in the year and to make a big sorting for the rest. The best investment for your family is not weapons but ... gold!
- The idea of the "gun room" is the best if you want to keep your entire collection. I know someone who had one because he was also a numismatist, with an armored door and an alarm in a room with solid walls. You also need to check with your insurance if this covers theft and fire.

·
Registered
11 Posts
More and more I am realizing that I no longer have a need or interest in the big BOOMERS. I could easily unload everything bigger than my 7 mag. If it needs a brake, I don't really need it.

That would leave plenty of extra room in the safe.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Once your wife finds out what you paid for those guns, she's going to want a trip to Hawaii every 6 months for a couple of years in return.

You might just want to document the gun values and leave the documentation in the safe you are planning to buy. That way you don't stir the pot with the wife any sooner than absolutley necessary.

Regarding safes, consider several safes rather that just one huge safe...that way the risk is spread out.

Since you have been storing your guns outside a safe, you might want to look at the safes available from Costco and get several. The bottom line is that most consumer safes just keep honest folks and kids honest and they can be breached in a targetted attack. To deal with that, buy an insurance policy for theft.

Reactions: Tactical Lever

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
One fellow I know has an actual "gun room". Built out of concrete blocks and a door from a derelict bank vault. Kind of like a huge walk in closet.
I have multiple gun rooms. :p

Big house and living alone gives me lots of closets/bedrooms to use for guns and their related supplies and equipment.;);)

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I thought not too long ago that maybe I had a problem and bought too many firearms.

Then the guys here kindly informed me that this really isn’t a problem!

So unless everyone here is just crazy, and it’s the blind leading the blind, you don’t have a problem here!!

:D

In all seriousness. There is such a thing as too many firearms. It’s when you can’t pay your bills cause you spent too much $$$ on toys. Pay bills first. Then buy toys! If you keep to that order then your never going to buy or have too many firearms!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Once your wife finds out what you paid for those guns, she's going to want a trip to Hawaii every 6 months for a couple of years in return.

You might just want to document the gun values and leave the documentation in the safe you are planning to buy. That way you don't stir the pot with the wife any sooner than absolutley necessary.

Regarding safes, consider several safes rather that just one huge safe...that way the risk is spread out.

Since you have been storing your guns outside a safe, you might want to look at the safes available from Costco and get several. The bottom line is that most consumer safes just keep honest folks and kids honest and they can be breached in a targetted attack. To deal with that, buy an insurance policy for theft.
My wife was with me for every gun purchase except one, and she knew about that one before hand. None of those guns are mine exclusively. All of them are ours. She shoots just as often as I do.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I agree with the multiple safe thing. It makes it harder for thieves to steal. Ideally put in different rooms.

I’ve seen incidents where they hook chains up to a truck and rip a gun safe out of a concrete floor it’s been anchored to.

They’ll cut it open out in the middle of nowhere later.

I too know a few gentlemen who had new homes built and they had the builder make a large “safe room”. Concrete or reinforced steel walls with a safe door that opens from both ends. Very cool but very expensive. You have to have money or a lot of time and the physical skill if you want a room like that!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I thought not too long ago that maybe I had a problem and bought too many firearms.

Then the guys here kindly informed me that this really isn’t a problem!

So unless everyone here is just crazy, and it’s the blind leading the blind, you don’t have a problem here!!

:D

In all seriousness. There is such a thing as too many firearms. It’s when you can’t pay your bills cause you spent too much $$$ on toys. Pay bills first. Then buy toys! If you keep to that order then your never going to buy or have too many firearms!
Over the years I just accumulated a lot of guns. Also, my son inherited a rifle and a shotgun that I was keeping for him and that he told me he didn't want them. Over the years I have dutifully pulled them all out monthly, inspected them, cleaned them if necessary, and put them away. This fall I sold off everything except one rifle, one shotgun, one semi auto pistol, and four revolvers. I was going to trim it down to two revolvers, but one that I was going to sell has sentimental value and I chickened out at the last minute. A buyer was actually fondling it and I had to ask for it back just before the deal was sealed. The other that I was going to sell wasn't worth anything. But everything else sold for more than I had in them. Honestly, I feel pretty good about it. As far as safes, I have one and there is plenty of room in it now.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have attended a few estate auctions where firearms were being sold. ALL of them, even the less desirable, and/or well used and abused, sold for considerably more than what I expected.

·
Registered
31 Posts
More than likely your home insurance will give you a rider, much-much cheaper than NRA
I have a C&R license and might be interested in any S&Ws made before 1925 depending on condition

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sounds like you are one of those deplorable's like me with too many guns I don't shoot, I did the same thing you did a couple of years ago buy doing a culling on about 25 rifles. My wife said what are they worth and I said I guess I better sell some, and did. I have now went through all of my guns I have left and made a list of what they are worth and she has it on a spread sheet if something would happen to me. A good friend with a lot of knowledge of guns has a copy of it also. Of course I keep buying more guns now if I trade or find a great deal..

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a similar problem but with ammo and magazines.

Buy more ammo, need more magazines.

Buy more magazine, need more ammo.

Try "Cor Vens" gun insurance for large collrctions.

·
Registered
67 Posts
These days, I use an assortment of safes. One key to using the safes well is that I put some of the rifles in with their muzzles down. The floor of the safe is well padded and I also treat the carpet with Boeshield.

At a different house, I used to have a walk-in closet that I'd converted into a walk-in safe and it was great. The long guns were stacked down the walls, the pistols hung on the back of the steel door, with ammo and such on shelves above the long guns. If you can do it, it's your best option. It's also very impressive when you want to show off.

You don't need a door from a safe either. I reinforced the door frame with 3" angle iron and then used a 1/4" steel plate with gate hinges for the door and a push button combo lock. If you don't like that much work, there are several different security doors you can buy that look like normal doors.

Enjoy and good luck.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts