Shooters Forum banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,215 Posts
An old friend died last spring and his daughter asked for some help in inventorying his collection. After four days of work, I'd found and IDed 389 firearms and over a ton of reloading supplies and multiple cases of ammo. After I left, another two dozen guns were found in dresser drawers, book shelves and closets.
We set three prices: One gun, more than five guns, and all the guns in one lot. She gave a case of ammo or a bunch of reloading gear and supplies for every gun sold. Buyers were friends of her dad, or friends of mine and were invited one at a time to 'shop'.
It has worked out well for her but she's got bundles of gun cases, holsters, ammo and shooting gear left over that is likely to go to one dealer as gun show fodder.
I managed to get back some guns I sold him in 1969 and one of my first custom knives he bought in 1970!

Another great friend has well over 600 truly collectible guns but he's still buying at 82 years old.

·
Registered
8 Posts
One way I found to hold more in the safe is one in muzzle up the next one muzzle down in an X pattern with good protector material on floor'

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Comes down to a persons age and health, at some point folks need to have a plan what to do with all your assets so you don't leave relatives and friends holding the bag, be responsible and have a will. Another thing to consider is that you may have to live in an assisted care facility for years, before that happens liquidate your assets and enjoy the proceeds.
To me memories of experiences are much more valuable than material things, I've been to way to many farm and ranch auctions where the owner/hoarder was sitting on top of a fortune in "things" and never went out and experienced life.
I guess if it made them happy collecting stuff so be it, makes me think I should go down and dig through my safe and sell some of the guns I haven't shot in a year.
Probably have 4-5 I'd never miss.

·
Registered
662 Posts
An old friend died last spring and his daughter asked for some help in inventorying his collection. After four days of work, I'd found and IDed 389 firearms and over a ton of reloading supplies and multiple cases of ammo. After I left, another two dozen guns were found in dresser drawers, book shelves and closets.
We set three prices: One gun, more than five guns, and all the guns in one lot. She gave a case of ammo or a bunch of reloading gear and supplies for every gun sold. Buyers were friends of her dad, or friends of mine and were invited one at a time to 'shop'.
It has worked out well for her but she's got bundles of gun cases, holsters, ammo and shooting gear left over that is likely to go to one dealer as gun show fodder.
I managed to get back some guns I sold him in 1969 and one of my first custom knives he bought in 1970!

Another great friend has well over 600 truly collectible guns but he's still buying at 82 years old.
Bitter sweet that story. Lose a friend but get some old "friends back".

I had a weak moment years ago when I sold my 1911 Springfield to my brother. I wasn't using it, and I figured I owed him. 25 years later he gave it back to me. I haven't shot it much, but I'm sure glad it is home again.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
I recently had a very good friend pass. We had been on at least a dozen hunting trips together over the last 15 years. His widow reached out to me and I'm helping her sell some of his shooting and hunting gear. The "extra" scopes have been sold, many of them to mutual friends (hunting buddies).

The rifles will be next. I'm not sure exactly how many he has (it's not a really large number), but I can think of at least three that came from me. It will feel very funny to handle those rifles again. At least two are already sold tentatively, sight unseen, to our hunting group.

It's not an easy chore, is it Jack?

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,796 Posts
All firearms (those remaining), reloading equipment, ammo, etc., already designated in trust to go to only grandson. He is as enthused about guns as I am and now at 21, knows what to do with all the stuff.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I have noted before. I have a pdf file that I update regularly with gun make, model, serial number, estimated worth, photo's and who it should go to. My wife will have final say so, but she has no idea what they are and as long as none go to her younger brother, I am happy.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I have noted before. I have a pdf file that I update regularly with gun make, model, serial number, estimated worth, photo's and who it should go to. My wife will have final say so, but she has no idea what they are and as long as none go to her younger brother, I am happy.
Based on your post and a few others, it seems there is at least one in every family where we don't want our guns going. I can relate.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Well...I've got to stay off Gunbroker if I am going to keep my collection from growing too much. I have two winning bids going at the moment for a 28 gauge Browning Superlight and Penny auction going on a Savage Axis. I am pretty sure my bid won't hold up but would be cool if it did. :D

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
The last rifle that I got on an online auction was one I had forgotten that I had bid on. When the seller emailed me to tell me where to send the funds, I had to ask him to send me a link to the auction that I'd won. Turned out OK... A brand new Browning X-Bolt Medallion for $475 and Browning was also running a rebate offer at the time for $50. So, a new X-Bolt Medallion for $425.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Been there, done that, wore out the tee shirt--and then cut it up for gun rags. Got a good consignment place nearby, and it manages to sell off more than I buy from them--most weeks, anyway!
windy

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Been there, done that, wore out the tee shirt--and then cut it up for gun rags. Got a good consignment place nearby, and it manages to sell off more than I buy from them--most weeks, anyway!
windy
Local guy does consignments too. He only takes 10% and is realistic in what he tells those selling what they have is actually worth. I got a couple of shotguns from him and his Dad even cleaned them up nicely from what they were brought in like. Another place I need to stay away from...but I can't. lol

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think it is interesting. I play the ukulele and a lot of people who play the ukulele keep buying ukuleles. They never have enough and they can't stop. I have a friend who has over seventy of them and bought another yesterday. They call it UAS, ukulele acquisition syndrome. Same with guitar players. Anyway, my wife calls it the fever. Someone's got the fever for something, whatever it is. When I'm going to a gun show she asks me, " you got the fever, or are you just looking". When I say I'm just going to look, she will say, " be careful you don't catch anything while you're down there."

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Well. I got blown out of the water on one of the gunbroker bids I had going. Browning Superlight in 28 gauge that jumped a few hundred bucks from my last bid. I figured mine wouldn't hold, but didn't figure it to jump so quickly with so much time left.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,796 Posts
You can always rebid! :)

Reactions: lowball

·
Registered
34 Posts
There's no such thing as too many guns!
The correct figure to have is what you now have + what you'd like to have +1! Simple.
Am coming up to triple figures and there's still more I'm planning on adding to the collection.
Man's gotta have a hobby eh! :)

41 - 60 of 87 Posts