Shooters Forum banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
It is hard to tell by reading the text when folks are kidding.
In real life I see a lot of this sneaking and non-disclosure and it really messes up relationships. I guess that is why I commented on it. I don't really know anyone here other than the person who referred me so I apologize.
I will try to be less judgemental in the future.

·
Registered
665 Posts
It is hard to tell by reading the text when folks are kidding.
In real life I see a lot of this sneaking and non-disclosure and it really messes up relationships. I guess that is why I commented on it. I don't really know anyone here other than the person who referred me so I apologize.
I will try to be less judgemental in the future.
Shooter Paul, No apology necessary, I know it can be hard to "read" the intent behind the words. I was just trying to have a little fun w/the topic.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Yep

I live by a simple axiom with respect to both hp and firearms. "Too much is never enough!" It's always worked for me.
That has been on a little placard in our kitchen for decades....in latin
Nimis numquam satis est.

Pete.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
While I am sure that everyone is correct in their own way, I do worry about the disposition of my firearms after I am no longer able to properly tend to them. I own a few that are older than me at 60+ and am keenly aware that they will be a security issue long from now.

Don't take this the wrong way, but there is nothing magical about them. There ought to be a good way of retiring them when they no longer serve their legitimate purpose.

Like Danno said, “they'll make more”.

Leona Helmsley, the “Queen of Mean”, once said that “Too much of a good thing is wonderful”

By “retired”. I mean no longer working. As firearms are not mortal, the admonition “be fruitful and multiply”, is not a prerequisite for their continued existence.

This could well be moderated off the forum, but it is a topic of concern to me.

My late father in law left to his wife a large number of guns for which she had no interest. She just gave the lot away to a friend of whom she hasn't seen since. Where are those guns now? You may inherit your late wife's ceramic cat collection. It could be worth a fortune, but to you it could be just a bunch of junk. You could keep them, sell them, or throw them away. It depends on how you feel, what you know, about them.

Orphaned firearms are a problem intolerant of being ignored. I like my guns. Perhaps too much for my bank account, but hopefully not so much as to defy reason. Those guns which my mother in law gave away are still out there, in the hands of people accustomed to acquiring things for “free”. It bothers me that they might be used to feed their habit. There should be a way to fix that.

And those ridiculous fake names!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Call me a collector or call me a fool. I have always admired guns and loved shooting them and hunting with them too. Decided that I’d start parting ways with a few that I’m not attached to or not really crazy about. Never crossed my mind how many I’ve acquired over the years, now I find myself looking at one and honestly don’t remember where I got it or how much I paid for it or did I trade something for it. Here lately I’ve sold 5 rifles and 4 pistols in last two weeks. Tonight I’m taking inventory and so far i am astonished that I’ve counted 47 long guns and 21 handguns and know that a few more will turn up. All of these are keepers with some being worth a fortune. Hidden behind clothes in closets in several rooms around the house. Thinking about investing in a gun safe, all of my rifles are scoped so I fear a gun safe won’t actually hold the amount of guns it’s rated for with mine all scoped. Any ideas or suggestions on a gun safe to hold this many firearms or maybe I need two of them. I’ve got to give my wife documentation on these guns and their value in case something happens to me so that she won’t get beat down badly on their worth when she try’s to sell them one day.

Make pictures of each w/ S/N and selling price on back.
Gt together w/ friend shooter and make an agreement-he help widow sell and not get ripped off and you reciprocate whichever comes/goes first if you dont have shooters in the family.

Have a friend who was asked by widow to help her dispose of guns. He got to pick one or good deal one one..

Know a couple fellows that have died and wonder what happened to their arsenal.

81 - 87 of 87 Posts