Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used 870 supermag. Here in Illinois we have a 3 shot cap law. (2 in mag) What is the best way to plug the mag? Should I buy a plug or can I use something else?

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, fuz:
Get a wood dowell at your local hardware store that's about 1/2 the inside diameter of your magazine spring. Cut to length. That's the way the oldtimers did it. Don't use a magazine diameter dowell. It just over compreses the spring and makes your gun muzzle heavy. Of course, if your gun is muzzle light, a larger dowell helps.

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
360 Posts
Fuz, got the same law here in Ohio. First year of deer season I too used a dowell rod. All of the gun stores sold out quick. Afterwards, the stores re-stocked and I bought a plastic rod for my 870. But, I swear during gun season it doesn't sound (gun fire) like too many hunters fixed their shotgun with the plug. It's a lot cheaper to buy a plastic rod compared to your gun getting impounded, etc.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jack, dowel worked great.Guess it was probably a dumb question but if you don't know you've gotta ask.

A.J. I know what you mean about those 5 shot bursts. I just always thought some guys could reload really fast. ha. Also hear some rifle shots every year, I guess some people think all rules are just meant to be broken.
thanks again guys
fuz

1 - 4 of 4 Posts