Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I talked the wife of 27yrs into going deer hunting with me. Saturday I finished cutting hay on the field next to the river and just left the swather at the bottom of it. That afternoon I took her out and she just sat down near that swather, right out in the cut hay field. I being much more savy about hunting went up on the berm that sometimes keeps the river out of the hay and HID in the brush. About 45
minutes later I see her excitedly waving at me and looky here comes a Muley doe, It walks up to about 25 feet from her and stops broadside. I am anxiously watching and for more than a minute nothing happens. She can't do it! is what I am thinking so I sneak down the berm to around 60 yards from them and the wife is out of the line of fire behind the swather, I line up my trusty muzzleloader and watch some more. A few more tense moments go by and the doe suddenly comes to full alert and tenses to leave, I fire and MISS, the doe runs around the swather and jumps the fence and when I whistle she stops on the berm 50 feet from me. Then she turns around and high tails it back over the fence to the hay field doing her best high pogo gait, BANG goes the wife's 1st ever shot at a game animal and DOWN goes the running doe!!! I hurry down to her and ask her why she didn't shoot while the doe was standing still, she said "I did 5 times but it wouldn't go off and then she ran off when I moved to look at my cap, that's when I noticed that I forgot to pull the hammer back".:D :D

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
That is a great story. Wish I could have seen the events unfold. Tell your wife the Beartooth Team congratulates her on her first deer!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts