Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone know if their is a ghost ring sight available that can be mounted on the top of the reciever of a browning/winchester 1886? I know their are side mounted ones but they seem to get in my way.

·
Banned
326 Posts
Try the XS Ghost Ring system. You might have to drill and tap, though. My 94 Win was already drilled and tapped, so the rear peep on mine just bolted into place. It works good for me, I think it is a big improvement over the factory sights.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Williams has a type of peep that fits in the barrel dovetail. it's very open and consists of two concentric circles. I plan to try one some day; might be just the ticket for my current eyesight.

Grizz

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Williams has a type of peep that fits in the barrel dovetail. it's very open and consists of two concentric circles. I plan to try one some day; might be just the ticket for my current eyesight.

Grizz
ive seen that one, called the bullseye i think.. it does look interesting.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My XS mounts just ahead of the hammer, in the holes intended for the rear scope mount.

yeah, mine isnt pre drilled for a scope although It prob wouldnt be too much of a problem to do so as long as it wouldnt interfere with ejection and i dont think it would.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I drilled and tapped my 1886 for a side mount receiver sight, it was easier then I thought it would be, but I am not sure I would try to drill and tap the top of the receiver, that would be hard to make sure you where drilling straight...but that's just me.
I do like to looks of the XS sight though, closest thing to the bolt mounted factory sight.
Terry

·
Registered
222 Posts
I drilled and tapped my 1886 for a side mount receiver sight, it was easier then I thought it would be, but I am not sure I would try to drill and tap the top of the receiver, that would be hard to make sure you where drilling straight...but that's just me.
I do like to looks of the XS sight though, closest thing to the bolt mounted factory sight.
Terry
Tmair, when you drilled and tapped your 1886, how did you position the holes? I drilled and tapped my brother's Browning 1886 SRC and duplicated the hole positions as on my Winchester Miroku 1886 ELW. The rear screw hole gets uncomfortably close to the locking shoulder so you have to be careful.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
There are two other options, one more expensive.

The more expensive would be to have Montana Vintage arms install one of their bolt peep sights - a virtual clone of an original bolt peep, but $250 + installation. ( The bolt needs to be sent in for machining/inletting for the sight)

The less expensive option, even to the $90 XS peep sight, would be to mount a $35 Williams WGRS-BAR peep sight on the rear of the M86's bolt.
The Browning BAR sight base's radius, underneath, is very close to the shape of the top of the M86 bolt ( I've mounted one on a Winchester 94)

·
Registered
785 Posts
Tmair, when you drilled and tapped your 1886, how did you position the holes? I drilled and tapped my brother's Browning 1886 SRC and duplicated the hole positions as on my Winchester Miroku 1886 ELW. The rear screw hole gets uncomfortably close to the locking shoulder so you have to be careful.
Here's Marshall's article on installing the side-mount:

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tips/index.htm

·
Registered
167 Posts
Griz posted the link to the instructions that I used, the only thing I did differently was I bought a set of center punches, in that set was a punch that fit the holes in the sight, I used the center punch to mark for the holes to be drilled.
One mistake I made was, I wanted to make sure the locking lugs did not hit the sight where it crossed the top of the receiver so I drilled for the clerence with the sight set as low as it would go, I should have drilled the holes lower on the side and used the adjustment on the sight to set the clerence, I could have moved the sight closer to the lugs and would have been ok, I have been thinking of redrilling lower and just plugging the first set of holes with those little plug screws.
Live and learn I guess.
Terry

·
Registered
278 Posts
Does the 1886 have the safety in the bolt like the model 92? If so Steve Young can make a plug to replace the safety. Or IIRC he designed a bolt peep sight that fits the hole. The peep sight can be adjusted for elevation and the front sight drifted for windage.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Does the 1886 have the safety in the bolt like the model 92? If so Steve Young can make a plug to replace the safety. Or IIRC he designed a bolt peep sight that fits the hole. The peep sight can be adjusted for elevation and the front sight drifted for windage.
The Browning 1886 has no other safty then half cock on the hammer.
Not sure about the front sight on the rifle, but the one on the carbine cannot be drifted.
Terry

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There are two other options, one more expensive.

The more expensive would be to have Montana Vintage arms install one of their bolt peep sights - a virtual clone of an original bolt peep, but $250 + installation. ( The bolt needs to be sent in for machining/inletting for the sight)

The less expensive option, even to the $90 XS peep sight, would be to mount a $35 Williams WGRS-BAR peep sight on the rear of the M86's bolt.
The Browning BAR sight base's radius, underneath, is very close to the shape of the top of the M86 bolt ( I've mounted one on a Winchester 94)

Ranger, I like your idea about mounting a wgrs on the bolt, That would give me windage where as the skinner lo pro peep wouldnt, I considered that too. You say the bar wgrs is more closely matched underneath to the bolt or would any wgrs work?

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
AFAIK, each different "model" of the WGRS has a base that's shaped/machined differently, specific to the rifle it's designated to fit.

I found my "misfit" via trial & error.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts