Shooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm totally new to the forum and also totally new to long range shooting. Have a chance to enter the arena with a highly customized, beautiful almost brand new Remington Sendero 300RUM at a just plain too good to pass up price. Previous user paid a fortune to have a lot of work done. Custom barrel, trigger, the works.

I am in need of some help from some big game/former military guys who know the pros/cons to help a total FNG. Know my AR/ACOG out to 500 yds like the nose on my face but clueless regarding long guns.

Firstly--best factory loads for maximum reach? Price point and where to look online?

Secondly--best scopes to be looking at? Have been told Vortex Razor was great option (5x20x50) also been told go with new Nightforce. Not a rich man but no kids & decent job, so money is not as big a deal as getting best scope for max reach and ease of use/reasonable learning curve for long range ballistic calculations, etc.

Lastly, are there any decent schools or training courses I can search out and take or do you recommend just getting out and blowing through ammo til my arm falls off. I've read 2 things that concern me:

1. This thing kicks like a bull elephant
2. Barrel life--even if it's custom, is short if you need to practice tossing lead downrange like I most certainly will it will kill the barrel.

Are these accurate?

Anything I can add or do to mitigate the above? I will have exact barrel, stock and trigger specs when I pick the rifle up from the seller later this week.

Stoked to be a new member and THANKS in advance for any/all help!

·
Inactive account
3,283 Posts
Welcome to the forum !! I'd take a good look at the Zeiss, Swarovski, and the Leupold Tacts.

Tactical Riflescopes | Leupold

How far will you be shooting and where are you located as far as the shooting schools are concerned. Nosler has a new line of ammo with the all new AccuBond LR ( long range ), they are loading the 210gr AccuBond LR for the 300 RUM and it has a BC of .730 and is still moving along right at 2000 fps at 800 yards.

Nosler Trophy Grade Ammo 300 Remington Ultra Mag 210 Grain AccuBond HSM Trophy Gold has a couple of loads with Berger VLD's as well.

Midway has 34 options on ammo for the 300 RUM, Natchez Shooter Supply, Grafs and Son, MidSouth Shooter, LG-Outdoors, and Target Sports USA are a few others that usually have a good selection when in stock. It's definitely gonna kick if you use a high BC bullet because it will have to be a heavier/longer bullet and the heavier you go the more it's gonna bark at ya !! I almost hate to say this, but a good pair of ear protectors and a nicely installed muzzle break, you won't have any friends at the range though, but more shooting at one sitting would be doable. There's a great shooting school in the hill country of Texas run by a couple of former Navy Seals or special OPS, IIRC. I know a couple of big name writers like Craig Boddington and such have gone there and had nothing but praise. One thing about this gun that I've read on more than one occasion is that your accuracy might be better at 300 yards verses 100 yards do to the fact that the bullets, some probably not all haven't had time to get quiet and stable yet from the velocity of the lighter weighted bullets. This might not be a issue though if it's all long range shooting with heavier/longer bullets.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that info--very helpful. I'd like to think I'll be shooting at greater ranges than 500yds and will definitely check out all the links you sent and get back to you with the results. Really--I love this forum already because of the genuine good-will among members and lack of trolls of every thread I've looked at.

I'm looking to learn to shoot from as far away as the gun will reach. Seller said he was able, using a Nightforce (dunno which model--will get all specs when I pick the rifle up) scope to get rounds out to a mile. Not sure which ammo he used but he did his own loads.

Really, I'm doing this to feed myself by learning to hunt--amazing hunting here! and the gun grabber states i used to live in weren't very friendly even to legit hunters--and I just want a new challenge. The advanced math and variables of being on target from 2000 yards away is very appealing. The math surrounding moving targets like a running elk for instance is even more challenging and exciting.

I hadn't thought of Leuopold or Swarovski for tactical or long range and was trying not to end up in US Optics $4-$6k range. Thanks for that tip too. More fun research my wife will roll her eyes at.:)

As for the type of shooting... I'd like to stick to heavy rounds and hot loads ideally. This is all about a new challenge and thrill for me. I'm aware that even though doing greater damage to the barrel, it's the kind of shooting I want to do and Ive got desert or mountains for miles to learn to shoot tough angles and through mirage and corialis (spelling is wrong I know) effect. Will probably stick to the highest ballistic coefficient rounds anyone recommends and I'll do my homework based on your links and helpful data. Can always get new barrel when this one goes to pot.

Much appreciated fred243!

I'm located in the southwest and have the advantage of not having to go to a range to learn how to shoot this thing. So that school you mentioned in Texas is perfect for me and I will look it up. Thanks again. I'll probably get a wheel pacer and create some new targets and use the steel ones I have and start working my way out to as far as possible.

Any thoughts anyone on best range to zero at for shooting at 6-700yds and over? Doubt I'll ever use it for less but you never know. Is the usual IDPA cardboard cutout with supports, a weighted base and some regular glow-color targets stapled to it sufficient for the kind of practice i'll need to be doing, or do I need to spring for a large sized free standing hunk of steel?

I just talked to the owner, and I'm picking it up this week. He sent me a picture and I noticed a top of the line muzzle break and asked him about it. He said he hasn't shot this rifle much but:

1. He loved it so much he built himself a custom 300 RUM after shooting this one maybe 30 rounds total, and
2. With the muzzle break, he said "you can shoot this thing with cool down sessions between every 2-4 rounds, all day long and not even notice."

So yet again your expert advice on muzzle break was spot on.
Thanks for your help and I'm open to any other suggestions from the forum.

A truly grateful new member. Cheers for the welcome Fred.

·
Inactive
3,893 Posts
Just some random thoughts...too many issues raied to answer all.

I have a m700 in 300 Rum, it is in a heavy, heavy target stock with v-block bedding; I reload for it.

I does kick like a mules. I reload for the 300 Weatherby and they are basically similiar.

Let the barrel cool between each shot on 'overbore ' magnum to get longest life. I have a small fan/compression for cooling between shots so I don't take all day.

Focusing on one issue. your shooting. the same thing that you learned on the AR platform applies here with the RUM. So I'd start shooting before schooling, getting to know the gun. You may want a muzzle brake???? Mine doesn't have it. since I use mine for shooting 150+ mamals, I have made 550 yards shots in heavy wind. But, you will definitely need to adjust your MIND to the much heavier recoil of the RUM. a heavy stock and everything else helps a good bit. My stock weight in at 9# with bipod.

My gun is for hunting deer, at long range. I shoot the 165 grain Speer Grand Slam bullets, at book max.

My gun wears a 6-20x Leupold and had worn a 25x Millet with mil dots and lighted crosshair (now on a sniper rifle). Nightforce is very pricey but top of the line. Try Primier Rectical they are like Nightforce the supplier of sniper scopes for the military (as is leupold).

A lot of what you ask, sort of depends upon what you want it for.

Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
I guess I'm a wuss. I would not want to be shooting a 300RUM for the amount of rounds it will take for any degree of competition proficiency. It should be plenty good for bear, moose, and water buffalo though. (:)D))

Reactions: fred243

·
Inactive account
3,283 Posts
Here's the article on the shooting school in Texas :

Hill Country Lessons

One thing I forgot to mention on the new AccuBond LR's is that they are designed to be used with standard twist rates and will expand down to 1300 fps, a quick look at some numbers has it moving 1790 fps @ 1000 yards with 1492 ft lbs of energy at impact at 1000 yards, this was at sea level ranges. This is a great place with a great bunch of men who will help all they can, the knowledge here is quite impressive to say the least.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow--this forum RULES. thanks to all.

Fred, I'll seriously look into the school. I'll have a few "bachelor" days while my wife is on business and while I've got planned mods to my other toys, I will use every link you've sent to educate myself. Greatly indebted sir. I'm at 7,000 ft and will be shooting between that and up to 12,000ft above sea level so those AccuBonds will have a lot less atmosphere to cut through. Wonder if that will give them a little more gas for the road. Really good stuff. I'm much obliged.

Harry--brilliant observation re: getting in trigger time before training, and I do tend to grab my cart before I've even bought the horse. Of course you're correct in that I will need to take it out and try different loads in different terrain and weather conditions, carefully making notes on each trip, rounds, and other variables. Will probably buy a book and DVD or 3, plus a detailed range notebook, laser range finder/bino combination, a decent spotting scope and/or target acquisition device of some sort, a Kestrel and a few other accoutrements I'd imagine. My wife is gonna love this. I can tell already. :eek:

There is a fantastic muzzle break on this rife which will help. I'm highly interested in your mention of the fan to expedite cool-down time. I will also look into the scopes you mentioned as well as Fred's. nice to know I can get Nightforce quality without the price point. Great overall thoughts and very helpful! Thank you sir.

StrechNM--you and I are not so far apart but I like to keep my location low key. I've worked in CySec so nothing is ever truly "safe" if its on the web no matter what anyone says, but I just like to keep my info to a minimum. I'm glad to know that this will take down an elk, and with the muzzle break I can, according to the seller "shoot all day" with little felt recoil above a .308. We'll see though. I may come cryin' for a good recoil buffer or some stock addition after a few trips.

ALL HELPFUL remarks and thoughts. You gents have made a 'noob' right at home and I'll consider everything on here and anything anyone else says and do my due diligence and let you guys know how it goes. Can we post pics on here? If so, I'll definitely post some when I get the final package put together. The rifle comes without bi-pod, scope, rings, and ammo so I've got a bit of research to do and a few of those pesky bills people keep sending but I'll have the best I can afford and let you each know how you were a part of it all.

Cheers!

·
Inactive account
3,283 Posts
Yes sir, you can post pics on here after being a member for 10 days and or having 25 post's. The mods and admins here are a great bunch of guys and it's well run and watched after by them. At the altitudes you'll be hunting the bullet will definitely maintain it's velocity better which in turns helps to flatten the trajectory some more and of course gives you a higher impact energy when the bullet reaches it's final destination. A quick look using G1 drag at 12,000 feet, 65 degree's, 78% humidity, and pressure of 29.53 with a MV of 2920 fps this will still be running right around 1547 fps at 2000 yards, still above supersonic speeds, the new AccuBond LR load. These are just a quick look though. Hunting where you'll be at the altitude levels provided I would suggest a rangefinder / bino combo like you want but make sure to have one that gives you your actual line of sight horizontal distance with the adjusted height and slope distance to give you the accurate aiming point/distance when shooting up or downhill. That's one of the things the shooting school focuses on. Looking forward to seeing the pics once you can post !! Generally a very well made muzzle break will reduce felt recoil usually anywhere from about 30%-50% depending on exact caliber and all and could easily not feel much worse than a 30-06, I'll bet it has a very fine pad on there as it is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts