Shooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I think that it is time for me to attempt to have a rifle custom made to my specs. I am trying to decide on a caliber, I am down to either a 6.5 X 284 or a 280AI.:confused:

·
Registered
930 Posts
I'm a 6.5mm fan, so that'd be an easy choice for me ;)

Same with me. I regret not buying a nice .284 about 10 years ago, and I really like my 260 REM but would like a bit more velocity. a 6.5x284 would scratch both itches.

·
Registered
13,209 Posts
Well, if you'd like to do some competitive shooting, the 6.5x284 has been quite popular in those circles. It would also leave little to be desired as a hunting round. Both are pretty much handload-only affairs, with optimized case designs which should lend themselves to repeated loadings. I don't see where you could go wrong with either, to tell you the truth.

·
Registered
287 Posts
.I'm kinda partial to the 7mm bore,has a lot different bullet weights and makes.It makes it a bit more flexible than the 6.5.Both will work well any big game in north america (except brown bear) So flip a coin and be happy

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have been all through that and I am over it now. I designed my own wildcat, had a reamer made and the rifle made up. I have so called improved chamberings etc. Been there done that.

Now I look more to the rifle since I finally had to admit that there is a lot of overlap in cartridges and bore diameters.

Do what you want.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I have been all through that and I am over it now. I designed my own wildcat, had a reamer made and the rifle made up. I have so called improved chamberings etc. Been there done that.

Now I look more to the rifle since I finally had to admit that there is a lot of overlap in cartridges and bore diameters.

Do what you want.
Hey there, you're tying to make too much sense! Don't you know a .284 wont shoot through a paper sack while a 6.5 hits harder with it long BC, blah blah, blah:)

Seriously, what is your wildcat, bullet choice, twist-rate, how is the throat cut, barrel length, etc?

Sask, some of those issues are as important as the caliber? Also, what are you going to be shooting with it and what do you already own?

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
tough one sask... i've got a 280 barreled on a mauser and a 6.5x55AI that i put together on a small ring mauser and i love 'em both! to me the 6.5x284 would only be more of a good thing but my 6.5x55AI with a 130gr tsx @3100fps is sooo accurate and easy shooting that it's scary. i don't think that you could ge wrong with either one of them!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts