Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Guys just bought a toz 8 great bore but spring on firing pin is very strong is this normal ? or will it damage firing pin As a new shooter I have very limited knowledge of fire arms any advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Kandi, apart from having read about this Russian training rifle I have no knowledge about it.

Just as a general observation about rimfire rifles: the impact impulse by itself of the firing pin will not damage the pin front edge on a case - rather would the impact distance of a too long firing pin damage the front edge if it is such that the thickness of the brass rim is penetrated. This you will see from the impact depth made by the firing pin on the rim.

Do not dry fire the rifle at all as that causes wearing down of the firing pin frontal edge.

Reactions: kudzu

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Kandi, I forgot to ask: what made you believe that the impact of the firing pin was higher than what would be normal?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have fire a number of bolt action rifles and all of them had a much softer spring. The spring on this rifle is such that you have to really push it forward to cock the rifle. Thanks for your reply

·
Registered
34 Posts
I wasn’t able to find anything about this rifle’s bolt in some quick searching, but if it cocks on closing instead of on opening, the spring will feel much stiffer than other bolt-action rifles.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I have fire a number of bolt action rifles and all of them had a much softer spring. The spring on this rifle is such that you have to really push it forward to cock the rifle. Thanks for your reply
Ahh.. I understand. I remember a Winchester .22 LR my father had when I was very young that also needed a rather hard push before lowering the bolt handle.

I do not know of any .22LR that is cock on opening.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,568 Posts
I do not know of any .22LR that is cock on opening.
All of my Remingtons are cock on opening. Intriguing little apparatus the "11" series bolt.

RJ

Reactions: Darkker

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
That is very interesting, RJ - I should like to have a look at that bolt internals. Remington rifles are very rarely seen in South Africa - and more so with .22 LR models. Even my "modern" Musgrave Ambidex which is a true controlled feed action is a cock on close.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts