Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm new to the ML rifle part of this sport and am trying to find a peep sight for my newly acquired Traditions Hawken Woodsman. Since the only sights I can find in stock are Pedersoli I was wondering if anyone has used this manufactures peep sight system on a Traditions Hawkens rifle. Are there any considerations other than possibly drilling, tapping & mounting? Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
If you’re suggesting putting a vernier type sight on your muzzle loader, you’ll find it to be a bit of a challenge. They are all made to be mounted onto existing holes in a metal tang on the stock grip area. I have seen some mounted onto the wood, but drilling into the wrist on a stock isn’t always a good idea. The single biggest problem with these types of sights (once mounted) is getting the stem as close to perpendicular as possible. Any error side to side will move the POI side to side. A good tang/vernier sight will start at around one-fifty for a simple Marbles stem type to upwards of five-seven hundred for a precision brand. Pedersoli doesn’t fit into that category. You won’t find them on rifles that have high accuracy expectations. (This is an entire subject matter unto itself). I’d suggest going to someplace like Brownnell’s and taking a look. They have knowledgeable staff who can make some good suggestions on some type of peep sight that might fit onto your gun. I think a tang mounted Marbles peep might work for your gun, but again you’ll have to drill holes in the stock wrist.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you’re suggesting putting a vernier type sight on your muzzle loader, you’ll find it to be a bit of a challenge. They are all made to be mounted onto existing holes in a metal tang on the stock grip area. I have seen some mounted onto the wood, but drilling into the wrist on a stock isn’t always a good idea. The single biggest problem with these types of sights (once mounted) is getting the stem as close to perpendicular as possible. Any error side to side will move the POI side to side. A good tang/vernier sight will start at around one-fifty for a simple Marbles stem type to upwards of five-seven hundred for a precision brand. Pedersoli doesn’t fit into that category. You won’t find them on rifles that have high accuracy expectations. (This is an entire subject matter unto itself). I’d suggest going to someplace like Brownnell’s and taking a look. They have knowledgeable staff who can make some good suggestions on some type of peep sight that might fit onto your gun. I think a tang mounted Marbles peep might work for your gun, but again you’ll have to drill holes in the stock wrist.
nsb,
Thank you for the information. I've reached out to Brownnell and hope that they can provide a solution to this problem. I've watched a lot of YouTube videos on the subject of ML long distance shooting and the sights reccomended by those individuals are impossible to find. This covid problem has thrown the whole supply chain into a tailspin with availability of merchandise, which is why I was leaning towards Pedersoli (they seem to have every thing in stock). Thanks for the heads up on them not being found on rifles with high accuracy as they are a bit on the pricey side and I would have been disappointed to find out they would not perform as expected.
I've been active in black powder pistols for years and this is my first attempt at a ML rifle and as all Marines are want to do, I want to challenge the limits of my rifle and myself (it's just more fun to me that way).
Thank you once again for the information and direction and I'll keep you updated as to the outcome.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Check out Lee Shaver’s web site. He makes a very good sight (high degree of precision) at a price that’s affordable, but still not cheap. I’ve used them and they are high quality.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm wondering if I'm pissing down MY back trying to convince myself it's raining. Perhaps I'm asking to much of a rifle that has a 1:48 twist rate. The price was right but the balistic performance I'm seeking might be beyond the rifles capabilities. If so I will just stretch it as far as possible using open sights until I can afford something else that will tickle my fancy and perform up to expectations. Thoughts...

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I'm wondering if I'm pissing down MY back trying to convince myself it's raining. Perhaps I'm asking to much of a rifle that has a 1:48 twist rate. The price was right but the balistic performance I'm seeking might be beyond the rifles capabilities. If so I will just stretch it as far as possible using open sights until I can afford something else that will tickle my fancy and perform up to expectations. Thoughts...
Take a step past this gun and look into something like a Sharps or a High Wall. You can still use black powder or if you like you can use smokeless powder....in the same guns. Lots of history and nostalgia here, but definitely built for the distance shooting you’re looking for. Visit the ASSRA.com web site if you get a chance. That’s all they do there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts