Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a terrible time loading my Traditions ML. I do clean it after eavery shot or every other shot. Has anyone else had any problem like this? I use sabots.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
When you say terrible time... are you meaning hard to get the projectile down the bore? Some hints for easy loading...

start shooting on a clean muzzleloader. Swab the bore with alcohol and then dry patch it to remove all traces of gun oil.

Pick a projectile that fits the bore of the rifle. For tight bore rifles, a Harvester Crushed Rib sabot, EZ load sabot, MMP H24, or a similar thinner in thickness sabot will make loading easier. Also if the sabot is for a .452 and its still hard, load a .451 bullet. Check Speer or Hornady.

If shooting a conical, then pick a near bore sized conical. I shoot a slip fit conical with excellent accuracy. There is no reason why some people (I have seen this) have to pound a projectile down the bore.

What projectile have you tried, and what kind of powder are you shooting?

·
Registered
186 Posts
With a muzzleloader you should only need one good shot. Why not work up a light load use a round ball for a follow up shot? I have friends that shoot round balls from inlines and get good accuracy as long as they keep the powder charges around 50g.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I have had to pound in down the barrel. I've put bore butter on the round it self and with a coat down the barrel before I load it. That seems to help a little.

So I should try to go to a smaller deminsion bullet or the plastic jacket?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Try a 250 grain Shockwave in a yellow EZ load sabot. Barnes are tight in some bores especially if they are with the red sabot. Another thing you can do is get some Harvester Crushed Rib sabots (pack of 50) in black for the .452 diameter or Green for the .430 diameter and then get some Horandy XTP bullets in bulk. Load them in the correct sabot and they should load real nice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds great. Will the crushed Rib sabots still have a good accuracey as the Barnes. The Barnes Exoander makes a great exit hole in deer, will the XTPs have the same effect? Thanks for all the great advice. I'll do anything to make my gun load easier.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
An XTP has killed a lot of deer. Are they as good as a Barnes... No. Barnes are all copper with controlled expansion. They just are a good bullet. But the XTP has done a lot of deer in and still are a favorite hunting bullet. I personally like the 300 grain .44 caliber .430 diameter Hornady XTP. They shoot real well for me and with their size they are going to do a lot of damage. Although, I hunt with Barnes MZ Expanders. But have yet to shoot a deer with them.

If you have a real tight bore, the crushed ribs will then shoot fine for you. I use them in a lot of rifles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts